Highlander Imagine books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander Imagine books

How do you like this new series of Highlander novels ? Co-auithored by by Wendy Lou Jones and Liliana Bordoni it takes a departure from the series continuity by having Tessa survive the fatal bullet she receive during Season 2. It changes everything. MacLeod fights a villain from South America, Richie gets the Quickening of a major villain from the series, familiar faces are no longer so familiar. A nice effort to breathe some life in a dying franchise.

The second book was better. The first was a much slower story, Nonetheless, even with the errors in text the books are an easy read.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

The third book should be even better. The Hunters go at extreme lengths to kill Connor MacLeod; we are introduced to a really, really long-lived Immortal lady next to whom Methos is a wee child in longevity. MacLeod deals with another Dark Quickening.
      Last edited by Gardner; 01-04-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

‘CODE NAME: IMMORTAL’ continues the story in this series only a short time after ‘Beyond Infinity’ ends.

Duncan has taken a very powerful quickening and needs time to get it and himself under control. But time isn’t a luxury that he has. With demands on his attention pulling him in several directions all at once, even an Immortal’s strength of character can be strained to its limits.
        “Since when do Immortals need an excuse to kill Watchers?” Annelise snapped.
        “It was just evening the score for what those people do to you people. I would’ve done the same,” she finished, coldly.
        Aghast, Duncan did a double take.
        “Kill Watchers—what are you saying? What score are you talking about?”
        “I know now who’s responsible for what happened to my brother,” she continued. “Connor promised he would help me free him—he’s on his way there now, but I know it’s a trap. You’ve got to help me, Duncan. Take me to Connor before it is too late for both of them.”
        “I’m Duncan MacLeod of the clan MacLeod, and I’ve come for your head.”
        “I’m Réne Chastain,” the cyclist shouted back, “and I have no quarrel with you.”

Removing his racing helmet—his short, damp black hair glistening in the sunlight.
        “I don’t care if you do or not, I’m going to take your head,” Duncan retorted in a hostile tone of voice.
        “Why are you so eager? We have never met before—I don’t know you.”
        “Does that really matter to our kind?”
        “It does to me,” Réne shot back. “I have better things to do with my life than fight every Immortal on this earth—I have a wife and a little girl—they’re my family—I also have a career.”
        “We have the Game—anything else is secondary, you know that,” Duncan spat. “Now get that bike off the road and draw your sword, if you have one, or I’ll take your head where you stand.”
        Albricus pushed his Viking cloak back, reached out and grasped Darius’ arm.
        “I want to be like you—a holy man. When you are near me, with this special book in your hand, I feel a power that is all around you.
        Darius smiled and lowered his head but did not reply.

That isn’t the book you are feeling my friend, it is my immortality. You are a pre-Immortal, Albricus and a very sensitive one. I wonder what I should tell you—about yourself, about the choice you could make right now, about your future and how what you may do will affect others.
        “I’d like to say something,” Duncan shouted over the din inside the barge
        and quickly stepping between the two women
        who were getting dangerously close to one another.
        “Everyone is going to a neutral corner!”

“Now—Annelise, nice and calm—tell us why you are here?”
        Alright—nice and slow, girl—don’t rush through your story. You need Duncan’s support, you have to convince him. Forget Tessa—she’s nothing more than a distraction.
        Following him several steps, Annelise wrung her hands, wiped her damp palms across her sleeves then shook her head.
        “I’m convinced my brother is being used as leverage against that damn society he joined—the Watchers.” Annelise wet her lips, “These aren’t your garden-variety terrorists who grabbed him—they’re the Immortals.”
        “Since when do Immortal’s need an excuse to kill Watchers?”
        Annelise snapped. “That woman was just evening the score for what these people do to you people. I would have done the same.”
        Duncan did a double take.
        “What—kill Watchers? What score are you talking about?

“I know now who’s responsible for what happened to my brother. Connor promised he would help me to free him. He’s on his way there now—but it’s a trap. You’ve got to help me, Duncan—take me to Connor before it is too late for both of them.”
        “Duncan—Connor will be facing that Immortal gang alone if we don’t go now.
        You can’t let him do that.”

“Please—every moment we stand here, going around in a circle, we’re wasting Connor’s precious time. He can’t walk in there alone. I’m going to face that challenge with him,” Annelise finished forcefully.
        “Duncan, I don’t care what you say about this ‘privacy & code of honor’ matter you, Immortals seem to have between you when you decide to fight one another, you’ve got to take me to him—it’s where all Immortals are gathering—to carry out this final, ‘honor served’ fighting. My brother will be there too.”
        “You want Duncan to take you to where the Gathering will be?” Tessa asked slowly.
        “Yes—tonight.”
        “They wanted Connor—I didn’t give them anything—I fought them off and ran,”

Annelise finished, her trembles faded away as she felt her inner control returning. She quickly shifted gears in her story.
        “I am still in danger and so is Connor, Duncan. They have been hunting me ever since that night where—”
        “Hunters,” Duncan said under his breath as the image of the man responsible for Darius’ death came to the forefront of his mind.
        “James Horton,” he whispered.
        “I have had enough of you Hunters,” Duncan finished and leveled the barrel of the gun down and between Helmut’s eyes. “You’re a dead man.”

Trembling, Helmut quickly reached inside his jacket, retrieved something small then held it out to Annelise.
        Annelise gasped then grabbed Duncan’s gun-hand.
        “Duncan—stop—don’t—I said stop—now!”
        In one rapid maneuver, she went for the most vulnerable part of Duncan’s hand and wrist, nearly wrenched his arm from its socket and throwing him against the car.
        “I said stop, damn it! Kill each other on your own time—not mine,” she snapped took the ring from Helmut’s grasp and turned it over in her hand.
        “It’s my brother’s—how did you get this? Where is he now? Speak!” she demanded leveling her gun at him once again.
        Helmut looked from Annelise to Duncan.
        “Don’t look at me,” Duncan said, still rubbing his shoulder, “she’s got the gun now.”
        “We’re dealing with Hunters again—renegade Watchers—only this time,
        Annelise brother was apparently their target.”

“Hunters? Did she tell you that?” Tessa asked.
        “There was a Watcher hiding in her car just now—I almost killed him. He had brought her brother’s ring. He claims to have been involved in liberating him from the ones who have been holding him.”
        “Did he give you a name of who was responsible for all of this?”
        “A dead man, Tessa—someone I thought I had killed already—James Horton.”
        “Oh, my God—Duncan, I thought that nightmare was over.”

Comment

I have read all three and loved them. I loved the way they introduced all our familiar immortals in the fist book. I loved the chapter on what happened at the Egyptian Spa. I could just picture Tessa slipping around nude on that wet floor as she took an Immie's head in self defense an defense of another of our immortals actually. . And because I am really into ancient history, Inca and Myan culture, etc I loved Beyond Infinity. I was very sad when a young immortal in the book was killed. Good writing there to feel that way about a character.

Comment

Working...
          X