Flash fiction/short stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash fiction/short stories

Click image for larger version  Name:	11824934_10153509747818236_429572091797387234_n.jpg?oh=ce98a9d149e50b9253222e1c7ddc2edf&oe=59CA070C.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	3484Click image for larger version  Name:	11825829_10153509748833236_5391658322520084407_n.jpg?oh=5b2d7ac9ead59f5aacd7db4b7a0e971f&oe=59D09B5F.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.4 KB ID:	3485

By Gerda Strobl:
    Richie picked up the bear and was on his bike in one fluid motion, cinematic style. The van speeding away was an easy target, especially for a tail on two hot wheels. He had been looking for the Immortal Presence he felt, when his searching eyes instead encountered a van halting beside a toddler. The driver had grabbed the child, who shrieked at the shock and cried at losing the teddy, and sped away, closing the door on the go.
    Now Richie was following the van out of town, along the motorway. The van was picking up speed, and the distance between them grew slowly, but steadily. Worse than that, he had to halt at the gas station that came into view now. He was almost out of fuel.
    He kept his eyes trained on the van as much and as long as he could manage, but then he lost sight of it.
    A few moments later, out of the clear blue sky, a dark cloud or two materialized in the direction of the van. Lightning came whirling up from the ground to hit those clouds, first one strand, then it split in two...
    Richie cursed and felt a very heavy weight in his stomach...

Part 2 by Nicholas Ward:
    The mundane task of filling the tank with gas seemed otherworldly whilst looking at the strands of lightning flickering through the sky. The bluish-white bolts seemed to hit and re-emerge from a single spot just behind the tree line that obscured the van from his view moments earlier. The eerie dance of lightning faded with the afternoon light.

“Well, that’s something you don’t see everyday!”

The gas station attendant said while stepping out from behind Richie.

Richie, however startled, kept his composure and murmured “No, No, you don’t.”

He mounted his bike, put on his helmet and absentmindedly pressed a $20 bill in the attendants hand. Driving away with full throttle he completely missed the gas station attendant shout “Gee, thanks!”

Only minutes later he arrived at the spot where the van had stopped. It had veered off the road and was between the trees.

Richie slowly dismounted his bike, grabbed his sword and carefully moved to towards the van on the alert for the odd chance the immortal was still there. When he realized he didn’t feel the Buzz that would give away an immortals presence, he relaxed a bit.

Upon approach Richie noticed the van didn’t stop in a controlled manner. It had crashed violently through the bank and the drivers section was almost crushed beyond recognition around a tree. Slowly moving around the back of the van he noticed the decapitated remains of a human being slumped halfway out of the wreckage. Disgusted by the sight but relieved that the remains were clearly of an adult, he left the scene that was ravaged both by the crash and the Quickening.

Once again mounting his ride, Richie now was looking around to see if he could spot the toddler which could not have gotten far and took off.
    Even though it was getting darker, visuals were good and it wasn’t long before Richie spotted 2 small figures walking alongside the road. Upon hearing the motorcycle and feeling the Buzz simultaneously the 2 small figures bolted towards the growth nearby.

Richie halted, took the teddy bear from his saddlebag and slowly moved towards the 2 young immortals.

“Don’t be afraid!” Richie said while holding out the bear in front of him.

“Look, what I have found.”

Richie was now crouching to see between the growth where the kids hid. Some frantic whispering told him that he made progress. “Don’t be afraid.” He added.

Then suddenly the toddler stepped out of the bushes and smiled at Richie even though it was still holding some distance.

“Here, I believe this is yours.”

The Toddle smiled and walked over to Richie, grabbed his teddy and gave it a big hug.

“Who is with you, little guy? He asked the toddler, followed by: “Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you!” towards the other that was still hiding.

After a few seconds the hiding kid proclaimed, “That’s what they all say!”

“Don’t worry, I’m not like the others.”

“No! just LEAVE!” The fit of anger from the child sent a shiver of recognition through Richie’s spine.

“No, No it can’t be… he thought. “Kenny?”

The young immortal emerged from the bushes, a small sword in hand.
    The toddler had turned towards Richie, triumphantly smiling upon his achievement of getting Kenny out.

Richie however felt his stomach drop again. From the cold gaze of Kenny and his movements it was clear the small sword was in turn unambiguously pointing at either Richie or the toddler.

There was no way he could possibly save the toddler or himself in a fight, even if he had his sword with him, he knew he wouldn’t behead a child. Not even one that was 816 years old.

Richie slowly backed away, towards his bike, maintaining eye contact. He got on and glanced to Kenny, whose sword was still pointing at him and the toddler, one more time, revved the bike and drove away.

Whilst clouds were forming overhead Richie kept going faster and faster over the straight road. Blinking to fight the tears as well as the two images going through his mind: The lone teddy bear and the fear of what he might see if he looked back.
    Last edited by Nicholas Ward; 07-02-2017, 12:34 AM.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

I read I've read this one before! Though it was longer…? A small problem with Gerda's part being dark letters on a dark background. I had to copy and paste it in order to read.

Comment

It was on the imagine series facebook page. Thought it was a nice concept for the board too. I fixed the lettering in the OP
      May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Working...
      X