Fanfic on the net Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanfic on the net Recommendations?

I'm a bit conflicted. I'd like to recommend some fics, but another person who writes Highlander fanfic told me that some person had sent him an intimidating e-mail saying how A (one implied) fanfic website was going to have legal action taken against it. I don't want to expose innocents to some bully...

Contact the fan fiction writers and ask them if it okay to share their work. Some production companies let the fans create fan fiction and some don't. If it is Highlander themed, invite them to share it here in the writing forums. Much of the old fan fiction was saved on personal servers when the old board went down. Other pieces are lost. There are some pieces that were saved that are in the archives of the HLBB Facebook page. All we can do is ask the writers to visit here to share. The rest is up to them.

As for other fandoms...I know that Paramount and Disney both go after fan created items because it is all about profit to them. Other fan fiction sites have had trouble because the writers were writing Slash fiction (erotica) using the characters.
    Last edited by Colleengael; 05-18-2017, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Righto!

I contacted wilusa, and was given an enthusiastic "Please share" for her lengthy story. To quote her:
    MacLeod and his intimates - who'll come to include Nick - make discoveries about Immortals' births and blood relationships. MacLeod has a very long life...which ends in a way the man who mourned Darius could never have foreseen. And the story of his death is connected with my explanation of the origin and destiny of the Immortal race. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/223153/

Comment

I'll have to check that out.

I have some stuff on the site as well. I enjoy crossovers and have two which are Highlander/Lost Girl, one Highlander.Law & Order SVU, and one Highlander/House. I like the Highlander episodes which deal with ethics and wish Lost Girl had delved into the rich ground they had created in the same way. Fanfiction provides an outlet to explore what the shows didn't.

Comment

One of my favorite fan fiction crossover stories was about a road trip between Highlander/Buffy and Angel crews. Since both shows had Watchers it was fun having them team up to fight the evil bad guys. I lost the link to that story.

Comment

• Saber Dog
          Saber Dog commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a lot of fun with the Christmas Party & Road Trip chain stories in the Gathering on the old site, but they weren't very popular. I especially liked the Four Horsemen Construction Company - contractors tp the Pharaohs. They got a discount at Home Depot for promising to never cause another quickening in the paint aisle.

I also did one with a Buffy/Highlander crossover which included the explanation that the two branches of Watchers were split by the Norman Conquest. This resulted in the immortal Watchers being based in Paris and the slayer Watchers in England. Buffy is the heavy because she comes to the conclusion that immortals are a type of evil demon.

Ooh! But Saber Dog, why would she do that? May I read it? Sounds fun!

Comment

• Saber Dog
          Saber Dog commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have to post it here.

The reason is that Giles is a new immortal that doesn't know what he is and just as he's learning he loses his head. Buffy blames all immortals and seeks revenge in a post series world with lots of slayers. The scoobies begin seeking immortals and Dawn identifies Michelle Webster. Gradually scoobies are being told the truth and Tara (immortal dug up by Methos before the collapse of Sunnydale), Willow, Faith, and Dawn end up in France with Grace. Buffy arranges for Michelle to be decapitated and Amanda fails to save her. Now Amanda believes all slayers are evil. At the heart of all of this is Methos trying to slow the Game by diverting immortals to hunt vampires. Methos ends up joining with Faith to seek the Guardian (a very ancient immortal) as the only person who can convince Buffy to stop. The best kind of heavy is one you understand and even sympathize with even though they are wrong.

As long as you make sure that your fiction includes the fact that you do not own the characters and that you do not get paid for the work, you should be fine.

Case in point...
        Highlander: The King and I
        jamessick.wordpress.com

Comment

• dubiousbystander
          dubiousbystander commented
          Editing a comment
          Though perhaps there should be a more direct url to The King and I. Surely James is going to post other things on his wordpress!

Five Times Methos Met the Doctor by Kesomon is a charming short piece.

Comment

• Saber Dog
          Saber Dog commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds like fun.

Thank you for recommending my fan fiction!! All my fics are posted at both Fanfiction.net and the Archive of Our Own (easily googled). I use the same "pen name" everywhere. And for reading, I sort of prefer AO3, where the fics I have in "series" are shown as such.

I can't understand what someone said about threats of legal action. Maybe by a fan writer who had fics posted on his/her own website?

Oh - something I just remembered. Fanfiction.net has a list of authors who specifically don't want fanfics posted based on their works. But there's certainly no problem with Highlander fics!

Comment

Hopefully, we can get Yvette Christofilis to post a link to It's a Matter of Faith. This is her Methos meets Jesus story.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
            dubiousbystander commented
            Editing a comment
            I read that fic. It's a Matter of Faith. Maybe I can track it down again.

Is it this one, Colleengael? http://www.pipeline.com/~yvka/jesus-methosxover.html

Comment

• Colleengael
            Colleengael commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes. Thank you for sharing the link. I have a few printed copies but the story should be available for those that don't have it or have never read it before.

Here are a bunch: http://www.highlander.org/HLFIC-L/

Didn't read them so no clue if they're any good, but if it's on-line it's fair game.
          May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

I'll start taking a look when I have the time! Xenon's long series about Methos and Kronos is up here: http://www.swordznsorcery.co.uk/methos.html
            A certain friend would like it, despite the liberties it takes, because it's decently written and has um... happy not so bad but usually leaning toward total indifference to others, if not sometimes plain evil, Methos. Actually, among my many, many favorite bits are her descriptions of Methos' living spaces.

Comment

I'd recommend Methos of Zeist, which is just now being posted here.

Comment

Squee! I can't wait to read it! Though I will have to, because I'm at work now.

Comment

The prolific Parda has most if not all of her Hope series, and most if not all of the side stories, posted up here: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2212384/Parda

Comment

Working...
                  X