Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Game revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Game revisited

    In a dystopian future, the technology developed by Augustus Mason and Dilijan has vastly improved.

    Quickenings can be isolated, extracted and, given a suitable host, brought back to life.

    The secret is out and Immortals are now celebrities in a Game to entertain the masses.
    Some immortals volunteer to participate, others go in hiding.


    Hidden at the source of it all, is a weak, chained up, drugged immortal: Duncan MacLeod.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

  • #2
    "Procedure is commencing."

    The cold words of the machine interface cut through the tension as the drills positioned.

    "This is the 2nd extraction this week. Subject is showing weaker EEG, no physical decline."

    The procedure has proven to be a success as long as the extracted Quickening was prior to the last one the subject received.
    Extracting the last Quickening an immortal received showed a major decrease in cognitive function as well as skill.
    Not necessarily a bad thing but it does come with changes in behavioural patterns which in turn might influence skill or fandom, so some caution is required.

    There's a notion of an emotional component to the extraction procedure as well, but that kind of data is still being cross-referenced at the Watcher's headquarters.

    "Extraction of Michael Christian complete. Searching for suitable host."

















    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

    Comment


    • dubiousbystander
      dubiousbystander commented
      Editing a comment
      This is really a nifty concept going on here. I'm delighted, and intrigued! Our conversation has gone: Ooooh! Is suitable host another Immortal?
      Nicholas Ward Yes, or pre-immortal or genetically engineered human.
      Who would want Michael Christian?!
      Nicholas Ward The one wanting a skilled female immortal like May-Ling
      Ah. So if they get him out, THEN they can extract her. Let her save everyone
      Nicholas Ward If there's a suitable host, she might
      So can they take out Immortals whose heads Kell took? Get back Jin Ke? If they try for someone like the Kurgan, I hope that bites them in the asses.
      Nicholas Ward Possibly, but there are risks to extracting 'secondary' immortals. Going down the line is a more stable process
      hmm hmm So the host needs to be essentially flatlined. I wish there would be no pre-Immortals being found lately...
      Nicholas Ward The host just needs to be restrained for extraction.
      You did say the two systems were perfected. Dilijan built new personas on gutted minds.
      Nicholas Ward I said 'improved'
      Ah! Perhaps suddenly all mortal human babies being born are blanks now. They have to keep the child alive long enough to drop a Quickening into it. Someone discovers that this seems to be an effect of the process!
      Nicholas Ward All would be much. Suitable does not equal perfect and babies are not good gaming mechanic.
      Really interesting. All would be too much, yes I suppose. Well, if the babies are kept alive, they would become older. This needs real consequences, though. In the Big Finish, I think there was major weather disruption, as well as Immortals going mad?

  • #3
    Hosts aren't necesssarily babies. But I suppose they can be. Not much entertainment value in killing Immortal babies.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
      "Procedure is commencing."

      The cold words of the machine interface cut through the tension as the drills positioned.

      "This is the 2nd extraction this week. Subject is showing weaker EEG, no physical decline."

      The procedure has proven to be a success as long as the extracted Quickening was prior to the last one the subject received.
      Extracting the last Quickening an immortal received showed a major decrease in cognitive function as well as skill.
      Not necessarily a bad thing but it does come with changes in behavioural patterns which in turn might influence skill or fandom, so some caution is required.

      There's a notion of an emotional component to the extraction procedure as well, but that kind of data is still being cross-referenced at the Watcher's headquarters.

      "Extraction of Michael Christian complete. Searching for suitable host."







      "Transfer complete."

      It hadn't taken long before a suitable host was found. Prisons would offer their inmates on death row the option of volunteering.
      The procedure would grant immortality to the host so many would agree to it. The general understanding among the public would be that one would still be part of the immortal after the procedure. The knowledge that it isn't true is not shared publicly for obvious reasons. The procedure does grant immortality to the body of the host but the personality will be completely destroyed in the process.

      And that was the fate of a longhaired punk kid that had robbed a convenience store with fatal consequences. A life for a life was a simple concept with broad support among the masses.

      And therefore a short time ago, gladiatorial death matches were held.
      However after some time, the most peculiar event had taken place in front of the thousands of people watching: The defeated fighter had risen up after being dealt a fatal blow and had killed the still celebrating victor. The research that followed had attracted scientists and engineers from large corporations as well as outed a secret organisation called the Watchers.

      Still, the newly created immortal had to be introduced and was scheduled for a fight next week.
      Should be interesting to see for which immortal the public will vote to pit him against...


      -------------------------------

      Michael Christian: An opportunist immortal with an attitude versus an opponent of your choosing!
      Cast your votes !






      May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

      Comment


      • #5
        Did they put an Immortal in a pre-Immortal's body?

        Comment


        • Nicholas Ward
          Nicholas Ward commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe...

          Pre-immortals might retain some of their personalities and even make the process obsolete if the transfer is successful.

          Feel free to add to the story any way you wish.

        • dubiousbystander
          dubiousbystander commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps someday I'll feel inspired!

      • #6
        Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post

        "Transfer complete."

        It hadn't taken long before a suitable host was found. Prisons would offer their inmates on death row the option of volunteering.
        The procedure would grant immortality to the host so many would agree to it. The general understanding among the public would be that one would still be part of the immortal after the procedure. The knowledge that it isn't true is not shared publicly for obvious reasons. The procedure does grant immortality to the body of the host but the personality will be completely destroyed in the process.

        And that was the fate of a longhaired punk kid that had robbed a convenience store with fatal consequences. A life for a life was a simple concept with broad support among the masses.

        And therefore a short time ago, gladiatorial death matches were held.
        However after some time, the most peculiar event had taken place in front of the thousands of people watching: The defeated fighter had risen up after being dealt a fatal blow and had killed the still celebrating victor. The research that followed had attracted scientists and engineers from large corporations as well as outed a secret organisation called the Watchers.

        Still, the newly created immortal had to be introduced and was scheduled for a fight next week.
        Should be interesting to see for which immortal the public will vote to pit him against...


        -------------------------------

        Michael Christian: An opportunist immortal with an attitude versus an opponent of your choosing!
        Cast your votes !


        Obviously the voting systems were rigged to ensure maximum entertainment value.
        Immortals with a knack for drama or performance were increasingly popular, and the facilities to hold them became more and more luxurious.

        With the help of the Watcher chronicles several immortals were persuaded to join the roster of arena fighters.
        Ex-military, thieves, mercenaries, priests. Some were defiant, but that was of little importance because interesting Quickenings were extracted anyway. Being defiant to the end only meant that the end came quicker. The larger part of the roster had no problems with one-sided fights, mocking the weak was fairly entertaining and would generate a nice build up for the head-line of an event.

        "Please select competitors"



        May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

        Comment


        • #7
          First up would be the new fighters. Newly extracted/transferred immortals versus the recently volunteering/acquired ones.


          Michael Christian needed an opponent to see if he was a viable character in the Game, his watcher files didn't promise much apart from the persona of May-Ling Shen (who was extracted shortly after the transfer of Michael into a suitable host). Fortunately a volunteer had stepped forward in the form of Father Liam, who had provided shelter to a runaway thief. When confronted by the justice department of the Corporation, he refused to hand over the subject and resisted the agents with the clear intent of aiding the escape of the raven haired suspect. It was to no avail because the suspect was easily subdued with tranquilliser darts during her attempt to escape over the roof of the church.


          Father Liam Riley would thus become the first opponent of Michael Christian.
          Not much was to be expected of the fight but culling the weak was what the Game was all about.


          May-Ling Shen would fight the female thief that was arrested at the church of Father Liam: Jade.
          This would at least prove to be an interesting fight given the martial arts skills and athletic prowess of both females.


          The final of the event would be winners of both fights facing off, the winner securing a place in the roster and the right to challenge any immortal in it.
          May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

          Comment


          • dubiousbystander
            dubiousbystander commented
            Editing a comment
            So they do have to extract one to extract those that person took. So the immortals do have a third choice: Giving no one an excuse to arrest them?

          • Nicholas Ward
            Nicholas Ward commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, but given the fact that the Organisation has access to the watcher files that's pretty difficult.

        • #8
          Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
          In a dystopian future, the technology developed by Augustus Mason and Dilijan has vastly improved.

          Quickenings can be isolated, extracted and, given a suitable host, brought back to life.

          The secret is out and Immortals are now celebrities in a Game to entertain the masses.
          Some immortals volunteer to participate, others go in hiding.


          Hidden at the source of it all, is a weak, chained up, drugged immortal: Duncan MacLeod.
          Though, since you're using those, I think that the STD that kills should also come in. After all, her secret society isn't the Watchers. They take her head to put her in another Immortal, and the disease makes the jump to the human population. I mean, it sounds like the human population really deserves it.

          Comment


          • #9
            Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

            Though, since you're using those, I think that the STD that kills should also come in. After all, her secret society isn't the Watchers. They take her head to put her in another Immortal, and the disease makes the jump to the human population. I mean, it sounds like the human population really deserves it.
            Didn't the watchers secure patient zero atr the end? Hmm, I should re-listen the audio-book then.
            I figured that the condition the STD created made it possible to trigger a Quickening without a beheading, and therefore had it intended as part of the transfer procedure. (/spoiler)

            May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

            Comment


            • #10
              Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post

              Didn't the watchers secure patient zero atr the end? Hmm, I should re-listen the audio-book then.
              I figured that the condition the STD created made it possible to trigger a Quickening without a beheading, and therefore had it intended as part of the transfer procedure. (/spoiler)
              Not the Watchers. Inheritors of the doctor who caused this. Her own dedicated secret society. Mmm. As far as their version of the story went, the aggression at a killing level destroyed the infected Immortals. Not a Quickening, just an erasure. If a clean Immortal takes her Quickening, they'll be the new carrier. The secret society imprisoning her theorizes that it's not safe for a mortal to take her head because then the disease would leap into the mortal population. My rather cold-blooded solution to the problem is pile explosives around her neck, put her at the bottom of a very deep hole, bury her under rocks and dirt and blow her head off.

              Comment


              • #11
                OK, let's go for your option then and praise scientific advancement for the basis of the transfer.
                May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

                Comment


                • Nicholas Ward
                  Nicholas Ward commented
                  Editing a comment

                • dubiousbystander
                  dubiousbystander commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some of my favorite stories end that way... Hahah

                • Nicholas Ward
                  Nicholas Ward commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It might be that possible that a powerful Quickening destroys the virus as well. After all we know that harmful substances can go 'poof' (which is the technical term for it).

              • #12
                Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
                First up would be the new fighters. Newly extracted/transferred immortals versus the recently volunteering/acquired ones.


                Michael Christian needed an opponent to see if he was a viable character in the Game, his watcher files didn't promise much apart from the persona of May-Ling Shen (who was extracted shortly after the transfer of Michael into a suitable host). Fortunately a volunteer had stepped forward in the form of Father Liam, who had provided shelter to a runaway thief. When confronted by the justice department of the Corporation, he refused to hand over the subject and resisted the agents with the clear intent of aiding the escape of the raven haired suspect. It was to no avail because the suspect was easily subdued with tranquilliser darts during her attempt to escape over the roof of the church.


                Father Liam Riley would thus become the first opponent of Michael Christian.
                Not much was to be expected of the fight but culling the weak was what the Game was all about.


                May-Ling Shen would fight the female thief that was arrested at the church of Father Liam: Jade.
                This would at least prove to be an interesting fight given the martial arts skills and athletic prowess of both females.


                The final of the event would be winners of both fights facing off, the winner securing a place in the roster and the right to challenge any immortal in it.


                May-Ling Shen sat on the side of the simple bed in her cell. Shivering from the cold. Her thoughts went over the past few days. Her sudden revival, the eerie feeling of controlling a body that was not quite yours. She had been given a cell, but was free to wander the lower corridors and common rooms where participants in the Game could reside and mingle. Under strict supervision and unarmed of course.

                The first few days she had spent her time mostly meditating, which helped ease her mind and body. Her persona seemed to have slowly fit into place within her new body during that time too. It was a bit taller and not as trimmed as she was in her previous life but it was fit and clearly healthy when she came to occupy it. Through the meditation she had tried to see if there were remnants of the person before her but to no avail. The thought was both a bit saddening as well as comforting: It was her body now.

                After reaching that level of comfort, May-Ling decided to go to the common rooms and see if she could get some training done. The common rooms divided the several living quarters up into small groups. This was fortunate (but also intentional as she later found out) because the buzz from passing participants would barely be noticeable.

                Starting with simple training exercises during the day, she noticed an Elvis impersonator bickering with a priest which somehow amused her a great deal. Noticing her laughter, the men stopped arguing and went their separate ways.

                The Elvis impersonator had approached May-Ling and introduced himself as Vrej Ratavoussian, 'rising star of the Game'. Explaining how he had volunteered just after the announcement of the next event so he would have more preparation time to perform on the same stage as some of the biggest stars. Coming from Vegas he knew quite a lot of the entertainment industry and to maximise opportunities within it, or so he claimed. He showed May-Ling the announcements and explained how the Game worked. The pitting of immortals against each other in events, usually 1 vs 1, with winners progressing to the next brackets or set of events. There was also a scoring system, with points awarded for skill, style, brutality and, most importantly (according to Vrej), entertainment value.

                May-Ling thanked Vrej politely and had continued her training, wondering how the other immortals she only occasionally noticed kept their focus without leaving their cells.

                With her mind getting back in the present, she stood up from the bedside and picked her sword from the available options for beginners in the Game. Not that there were many options but the simple one and a half handed sword, sharp and light but well balanced, would do fine for the task ahead.

                She calmly awaited the outcome of the previous fight, watching on the screen in the waiting area, even though the puns of the announcer did occasionally make the audience roar (or groan, it wasn't always clear cut). May-Ling noticed the aggressive but crude attacking style of Michael Christian and the inconsistent defensive style of Father Liam Riley who clearly seemed to talk a lot.
                This went on for several minutes until a clever parry from Father Liam Riley left Michael Christian vulnerable. Severely wounding Michael Christian with his next move, Father Liam Riley disarmed Michael Christian but seemed to have no intent to behead his opponent. That changed when it was made clear that refusal was not an option and that a beheading would be executed by security personnel if necessary, using the popular vote of the audience. The expression of realisation that there was no other option for survival and the tormented, horrified look on the face of Father Liam Riley when he beheaded Michael Christian seemed surreal against the background of cheers from the crowd.

                Shaking the feeling of pity for Father Liam Riley, May-Ling now cleared her mind and went though the basics of her perceived strategy as she knew she would be fighting a thief and to fully expect underhanded tactics from her opponent.

                Jade entered the arena throwing kisses and waving to the crowd like she was Marilyn Monroe, whilst moving towards the centre of the arena. May-Ling took a defensive stance and awaited the moment that Jade would engage her.

                A sudden cartwheel by Jade marked that moment and May-Ling was immediately at a disadvantage because Jade had grabbed a handful of sand from the arena floor and propelled it towards May-Lings face. Her view obstructed for a few moments because she had to divert her face to avoid being blinded, meant May-Ling only parried the following attack partly and a clear cut on her left leg appeared.

                Jade twirled out of the way of the basic retaliation move May-Ling mustered through the sharp pain she felt cursing through her body. A body that was not used to that yet.
                Like a whirling dervish Jade danced around while entertaining the crowd and mocking May-Ling. May-Ling had to keep her composure to avoid falling into the exhausting trap of trying to follow Jade, so May-Ling waited, parried and looked for the opening that would allow her to tilt the fight in her favour.


                After a while May-Ling realised that Jade used her outfit of loose fabric to create an illusion. The illusion of a bigger target than she really was. So instead of trying to target Jade directly after deflections or evasions, May-ling targeted all that flurried around Jade. Suddenly on the attack, Jade was taken by surprise and almost lost balance when May-Ling cut through the fabric on her right side, revealing enough skin to cause an uproar in the crowd. Knowing her strategy was unveiled, Jade had to switch to another tactic and tried to use her acrobatic prowess to get the upper hand. Another cartwheel after getting some distance following a feigned attack resulted in a lethal wound to Jade because May-Ling, instead of avoiding the underhanded attack, pushed through it and stabbed Jade in the chest.

                Moments later the Quickening erupted, accompanied by a loud cheer of the crowd. It shattered May-Lings clear mind for a moment, rearranging facts, thoughts and memories. Blurry visions of a once good thief, passion and a familiar face. The face of a priest.

                When the Quickening subsided May-Ling was given mere minutes to prepare for the next fight.


                Father Liam Riley surprisingly went on the attack against May-Ling, forcing her back in defence. May-Ling quickly realised Father Liam Riley hadn't shown his real skills in the previous fight against Michael Christian and found herself struggling to stay upright while being forced backwards. Desperate to counter, May-Ling caught the overhead attack by Father Liam Riley with both hands, coming face to face with her opponent, risking being pushed backwards by Father Liam Riley. The push never came and the tables were turned with a swift kick that toppled Father Liam Riley. May-Ling now stood over her opponent, hesitating for the final blow because of the expression of her opponent.

                Father Liam Rileys face was not showing anger, nor fear. But a gentle, sincere smile.

                Father Liam spoke.

                And a slight jolt of sorrow surged through May-Ling, creating sparks that used to be, as she lifted her sword again.


                Moments later the Quickening filled the Arena in a great display of fireworks.

                May-Ling slowly returned to her cell. But felt no longer cold. The Quickening had kindled the sparks within.











                May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

                Comment


                • dubiousbystander
                  dubiousbystander commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yes. Father Liam, well done. May-Ling, well done. Question: Can't they re-extract? I think you said it has to be in order, so in theory they can extract Father Liam, and then Jade?

                • Nicholas Ward
                  Nicholas Ward commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They could. And indeed they could extract Jade. But not Father Liam because his was the last Quickening that May-Ling received and too connected to her persona (just a theory for now, but I'd like to have something in place that restricts extraction directly after a victory, because it would make the victory pointless) So if they wanted Michael Christian back they would have to grant May-ling another Quickening, Extract Father Liam and then extract Michael Christian.

              • #13
                It was time.

                The arena had filled with spectators and the immortal combatants were preparing to fight.

                A week after the newly acquired May-Ling won her first event, another event was announced. Vrej Ratavoussian would be the main event.
                It was a big announcement, an immortal volunteering onto the big stage of the Game!

                Obviously it was shown to the masses as a success of the formula. That an immortal would willingly risk his life to perform on the biggest stage the world had to offer.
                He didn't mind. Vrej just prepared thoroughly like he did for all his performances. People thought luck and talent were the only factors but Vrej knew better.
                Any great performer would put in an enormous amount of effort and preparation before appearing on any stage. However no immortal had ever achieved true stardom. It was like there was a limit on ones capabilities. Vrej was determined to break through that limit. He didn't have the illusion he would be the one to win the Prize, whatever it may be, but he refused to be limited by the confinements of immortality.

                Throughout history only mortals had shown to be able to make a difference because of their talents.

                True, immortals had to stay hidden until recently, and some were still convinced they should, but nonetheless, in time immortals should rise to the top of any industry.
                Fact of the matter was, they didn't.

                Vrej would face his first opponent: Tyler King. It was the hurdle he had to take before getting to the immortals he challenged: Claudia Jardine and Bryce Korland.
                Although there was the factor of facing an opponent unbeknownst to him, he was confident in his capabilities. After all, he had been a head hunter himself for over 400 years, challenging any immortal displaying hints of entertaining talents.

                He was confident he would be victorious and acquire the talents of the others. After this event he'd be one step closer to unravelling the limits of talent in immortals.

                But for now the fight itself was all that mattered.

                The door to the arena opened...

                ​​​​​​​It was time.


                May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

                Comment


                • #14
                  The first fight lasted longer than anticipated. Both fighters were confident but careful, testing the waters with single attacks and retreats. The crowd liked the exchange of blows and the occasional small cut to arms and legs and the fighters were going around and around the arena, under and over the obstacles within it and it got the crowd warmed up and cheering the fighters on with each attempt or seemingly narrow escape of a severe attempted strike to certain bodyparts.

                  A feigned feigned attack was eventually what allowed Vrej to step through the 'danger zone' Tyler Kings broadsword utilised and he dealt an incapacitating blow to his opponent. The Quickening swelled with the crowd going wild over the beheading of King using the well known Elvis Presley signature windmill move.

                  The second fight, or rather execution, was short and brutal.

                  Claudia Jardine wanted to die with dignity. A final performance and keeping her head held up high until the end and therefore she had requested, and was granted, a final performance with her piano. But on a makeshift stage, things went wildly different. The intricate music and the interfering beatnik poetry Korland started to perform created an estranging, surreal atmosphere which was subsequently shattered by Korland by cutting of the left hand of Claudia Jardine.

                  Paralysed by fear and crying on the floor of the stage, clutching the stump of her arm, she watched in horror how Korland took one of the torches of the side of the arena and approached her.

                  Moments later the head of Claudia Jardine rolled through the dirt of the arena floor, her mouth agape and with boiling tears because her head was encased in flames due to Korland setting fire to the many lustrous weaving curls adorning her face.

                  And the audience digged it.



                  The final round of the event was vicious. 2 performing artists knowing full well that there was no dignity in death kept up charades and entertained the masses.
                  From opposite sides of the arena each counteracted moves or rhymes from the opponent but when there was nothing more to say, a full on sprint to the centre ensued and the clash of swords signalled that the sword would mightier be than wit this evening.

                  A centre arena clash was action hero material, and incredibly risky. Misjudging the opponent would certainly mean death, only instant if one was lucky. Possible scenarios went through both immortals minds but neither anticipated both would strike home.

                  After the initial clash, Vrej opted to let his opponents sword slide of off his, and immediately would swing for his opponents neck. Bryce Korland however kept turning with his initial move, ducked, and used his momentum to embed his blade into Ratavoussians hip.

                  In reflex Ratavoussian grabbed his right hip with his left hand, holding his opponents in place, and swung his sword diagonally downward, embedding his sword into Korlands shoulder.

                  More hacking than decapitating, Vrej pulled back his sword and struck again. Bryces head came off along with his right arm.

                  It was enough.

                  The Quickening erupted and tore through the glass ceiling perceived by Vrej, redefining his perception of skill.



                  When the Quickening subsided, Vrej was more determined than ever. He would challenge the greatest performing artists in the Game: Kalas & Byron.


                  There was a long way to go.....


                  May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

                  Comment


                  • #15
                    Acquiring immortals was in full swing and the accommodations for housing filled nicely.

                    Some immortals with additional talents performed regularly in the arena or the smaller stages of the connecting bars and thus generated extra income allowing them to upgrade their cells or move into the larger rooms when they became available. For some, luxury was a clear incentive to move up the ranks and challenge more successful immortals. Sendaro, Durgan, De la Faye III, D'Estaing and Reinhardt were clear examples of this.

                    Other immortals seemed perfectly fine to stay in the initial humble cells. Immortals like Luther, Case, Chandel, Burns, O'Rourke, Galati, Wellan, Kage, however wildly different in their motivations, would keep themselves otherwise occupied.

                    Although the Complex was very large and could easily accommodate most known immortals, the head of the Organisation realised there was a problem with keeping the few immortals suffering from mental illness. Advanced medical help was scarce and even with state of the art technology present, the Complex had limited facilities for housing these extremely violent immortals.

                    The strain they put on the security and hygiene crews were significant. Almost every week security personnel was assaulted, not to mention the multitude of bodily fluids and excrement that frequently adorned the walls. Their screams echoing through the ventilation systems of the Complex was also bad for morale.

                    So after another incident wherein a newly assigned guard was killed, the 3rd event was announced:


                    Round 1: Micheal Moore/Quentin Barnes versus Caspian
                    Round 2: Alfred Cahill versus Marcus Korolus

                    Round 3:
                    Winner round 1 versus winner round 2.
                    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

                    Comment


                    • #16
                      Round 1: Micheal Moore/Quentin Barnes versus Caspian
                      Winner: Caspian

                      Round 2: Alfred Cahill versus Marcus Korolus
                      Winner: Korolus

                      Round 3: Marcus Korolus versus Caspian
                      Winner: Caspian


                      For a moment May-Ling wondered if madness was more prevalent in the arena or on the stands overseeing the spectacle.
                      It didn't seem to differ much between the two during events, but it didn't really matter, the stage was set and the outcome would always be death. Even though it might be temporary nowadays.

                      Her eyes locked on the struggle between Caspian and the enforcers who found out that their tasers had shockingly little effect on Caspian after his Quickening. Nonetheless they frantically tried to overpower the victorious madman and strap him into a straitjacket.

                      The battles had been fierce and short, Cahill had chosen a blunt weapon (a mace) and came at Korolus swinging wildly.
                      Marcus Korolus had easily sidestepped while reciting some old play and he slashed at Cahill superficially each time, sending the latter into a rage, only to repeat that exact process several times. Finishing his reciting meant the end of Cahill and the Quickening erupted together with applause and a gracious bow to the audience.

                      Moore/Barnes versus Caspian lasted not much longer. Caspian unleashed a flurry of attacks and Moore/Barnes could not keep up with the flow of the fight because of his conflicting personalities. Having to regain his composure when Barnes' personality took over lost him the fight, and his head.

                      In the final round of the event Marcus Korolus wasn't his former elegant delusional self, the added madness and impressions from Cahills Quickening left him incoherently rambling about.
                      His classic swordsmanship now unhinged meant that Caspian had him outmanoeuvred, outclassed and overpowered in mere moments.
                      After slashing his opponents torso open and sending Marcus Korolus' heas rolling through the dirt of the Arena, Caspian gave in to his animalistic nature and clawed and bit into the remains of Marcus Korolus during the Quickening.


                      Finally succeeding in containing Caspian, the enforcers transported the still growling madman away through the corridors of the Complex.
                      Saddened by the look of the madman and questioning if an immortal would ever be able to contain that amount of madness, May-Ling decided to visit the new friends she made on the grounds in the past few weeks: Grace Chandell and Sean Burns.

                      They would surely find a way to lighten her spirits with their kind and caring nature, and perhaps lessen the burden of Father Liam Riley's Quickening.


                      May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

                      Comment


                      • #17
                        In order to get Bryce they'd have to have extracted Coltec from Duncan, yes? So... Coltec from Duncan, then Horvan Kant from Coltec... then Bryce Korland. So where is Coltec?

                        Comment


                        • Nicholas Ward
                          Nicholas Ward commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, Coltec is probably meditating somewhere in the complex. Horvan Kant is not there (yet?)
                          Extracting the last Quickening from an immortal isn't possible.

                        • dubiousbystander
                          dubiousbystander commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am confused. I thought you had to extract them in reverse order.

                        • Nicholas Ward
                          Nicholas Ward commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You're right. To get Korland they had to get Coltec. But since Kant was the last immortal Coltec killed, Kant can't be extracted from Coltec. But if Coltec would get another Quickening, that would free Kant's Quickening and it could then be extracted.

                      • #18
                        Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
                        Round 1: Micheal Moore/Quentin Barnes versus Caspian
                        Winner: Caspian

                        Round 2: Alfred Cahill versus Marcus Korolus
                        Winner: Korolus

                        Round 3: Marcus Korolus versus Caspian
                        Winner: Caspian


                        For a moment May-Ling wondered if madness was more prevalent in the arena or on the stands overseeing the spectacle.
                        It didn't seem to differ much between the two during events, but it didn't really matter, the stage was set and the outcome would always be death. Even though it might be temporary nowadays.

                        Her eyes locked on the struggle between Caspian and the enforcers who found out that their tasers had shockingly little effect on Caspian after his Quickening. Nonetheless they frantically tried to overpower the victorious madman and strap him into a straitjacket.

                        The battles had been fierce and short, Cahill had chosen a blunt weapon (a mace) and came at Korolus swinging wildly.
                        Marcus Korolus had easily sidestepped while reciting some old play and he slashed at Cahill superficially each time, sending the latter into a rage, only to repeat that exact process several times. Finishing his reciting meant the end of Cahill and the Quickening erupted together with applause and a gracious bow to the audience.

                        Moore/Barnes versus Caspian lasted not much longer. Caspian unleashed a flurry of attacks and Moore/Barnes could not keep up with the flow of the fight because of his conflicting personalities. Having to regain his composure when Barnes' personality took over lost him the fight, and his head.

                        In the final round of the event Marcus Korolus wasn't his former elegant delusional self, the added madness and impressions from Cahills Quickening left him incoherently rambling about.
                        His classic swordsmanship now unhinged meant that Caspian had him outmanoeuvred, outclassed and overpowered in mere moments.
                        After slashing his opponents torso open and sending Marcus Korolus' heas rolling through the dirt of the Arena, Caspian gave in to his animalistic nature and clawed and bit into the remains of Marcus Korolus during the Quickening.


                        Finally succeeding in containing Caspian, the enforcers transported the still growling madman away through the corridors of the Complex.
                        Saddened by the look of the madman and questioning if an immortal would ever be able to contain that amount of madness, May-Ling decided to visit the new friends she made on the grounds in the past few weeks: Grace Chandell and Sean Burns.

                        They would surely find a way to lighten her spirits with their kind and caring nature, and perhaps lessen the burden of Father Liam Riley's Quickening.

                        She was wrong. May-Lings spirits didn't lighten after her visit to Sean Burns and Grace Chandell. She learned that Sean was extracted and Grace volunteered to help struggling immortals.
                        The fact that true immortality was achieved as long as the technology was present did have a profound effect on several immortals, and Grace and Sean were assigned to medical duties. This meant they were not generally planned into the events but they could still be challenged. Grace sadly had to admit that she survived her encounter with her challenger a few weeks before. She mentioned that her understanding of him had increased and that she felt sorry that things went the way they did.

                        One the topic of the last words of Father Liam Riley, Sean Burns and Grace Chandell had fallen silent and had exchanged a concerned look, by which they seemed to imply they couldn't speak freely.

                        So, after leaving with more questions than answers, May-Ling decided to train more to clear her mind and use the community rooms to interact with her fellow gladiators in an attempt to find out more.



                        In those following days 2 more events were announced:

                        Damon Case had challenged Enrique Grimaldo, Keith Boyer and Kit 'O Brady.

                        Vrey Ratavoussian had challenged Ivan Kristov, Gregor Powers and Gerard Kragen.




                        May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X