• Show
Clear All

• Highlander: The American Dream #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1557

This came out 2 days ago. Did anyone pick it up? I've got mine on the way.
    0%
    0%
    50.00%
    0%
    50.00%
    Highlander: Dark Places

When did they start making new Highlander comics?! Crap, I've got to head to my LCS and get these placed on my pull list.

Comment

For 4 months now, through IDW Publishing. I've been bad about it myself... all 4 are coming to my door in a few days.

At a glance they appear to take a "Way of the Sword" (Dynamite) route in grounding everything to the world of H1 alone. I think the Kurgan will even come to the forefront at some point again, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
        dubiousbystander commented
        Editing a comment
        The Kurgan has come appeared! The drawing of him is not very good, but it IS correct, otherwise. I've been enjoying the books. I pick up mine electronically, through comixology, because of costs.

Question: Is it me, or is the guy on the cover who's supposed to be Connor very strangely drawn. Proportions and angles seem strange.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
        Question: Is it me, or is the guy on the cover who's supposed to be Connor very strangely drawn. Proportions and angles seem strange.
        Well, he sorta looks like a young Jack Palance, but besides that I don't see major issues...

Comment

I just received this. But #3 didn't arrive yet... Still have to wait to read it
          May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Got mine finally. Kind of another brisk read. I enjoyed the interactions and the continued fight (which does not reach a conclusion). Mostly my experience was marred by the inclusion of the... Kurgan. At the end. Hooke is working for him (does Kurgan have two posses throughout history now?). I do appreciate the angle with the older agent, still doggedly pursuing Vasilek and Connor.

Now see... the first half of Dynamite was all about the Kurgan. We got Way of the Sword, which is hauntingly similar to "The American Dream" in that it's a movie #1 only prequel featuring the Kurgan... and then we got "Highlander Origins: The Kurgan" comic (which, granted, I was involved with). A bunch of years later... another big Kurgan movie #1 prequel? Ehhh... I really hope he's only in the periphery. I said it 10 years ago and I'll say it now (particularly as we approach a remake which is set to reintroduce... the Kurgan): if Highlander can never move beyond Connor and Kurgan, then maybe, just maybe... it doesn't deserve to?

In the grand scheme of the franchise the Kurgan is like the Darth Maul of it. He shows up, big splash, super iconic... and then he's gone. And then we got lots of other stories, other characters and villains.

Comment

You keep saying this, but he's clearly not perceived as Darth Maul by most people. His most immediate Star Wars equivalent is Darth Vader, and you know it.

And "grand scheme"? In HL1, he's the fucking contender for the Prize! That's about as close to world domination as you could get!

Comment

Originally posted by Aleander View Post
                You keep saying this, but he's clearly not perceived as Darth Maul by most people. His most immediate Star Wars equivalent is Darth Vader, and you know it.

And "grand scheme"? In HL1, he's the fucking contender for the Prize! That's about as close to world domination as you could get!
                "Most people" as in most casual fans who've only ever seen the first movie, sure. Anyone that's watched more than a couple movies or seen a few episodes of the show knows that he's a very small, very minor part of things. When he died, not much changed (though the Watchers appreciated the effort).

All Immortals are contenders for the Prize. Except maybe... Mikey. Or Ursa.

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
                  Tootsie Bee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with Aleander for one reason: the Kurgan has been the greatest immortal threat for nearly 3 millennia by the time we meet him in the first movie. He survives until the start of the Gathering in 1985, and although the story does continue beyond him, it also continues because of him. James Horton, his former Watcher, continues the Kurgan's legacy by trying to wipe out all the immortals. Even after Horton's death, the tensions between the immortals and the Watchers continue to rise, culminating in the events from "Finale," "One Minute to Midnight," and Endgame. That's not so different from Darth Vader, who dies in ROTJ but impacts the events of the subsequent stories, whether you're following the Legends EU or the Sequel Trilogy. Unsurprisingly, the prequels to both the original Highlander film and the original Star Wars trilogy take interest in exploring this iconic bad guy further.

Except the show, which is what you're talking of, is not the only place to go to for Highlander. Where even in it, he's not perceived as an unknown henchman to a much larger villain - which is what Darth Maul actually is! The Kurgan's most immediate equivalent is Darth Vader, as his very presence incited fear and respect. He may not be the big baddie of the Series-verse, but he did almost win the Prize in the first film. Had it not been for Brenda, he probably have!

Most people consider the first as the only credible film, and the only one worth exploring, and that's solely because of the reputations of all its sequels and spin-offs. Thus, the perception that its the only viable ground to explore is not non-sensical, even if it is unfair. I do want more stories set in the Series-verse, but if even HL1-only based stories don't sell well, what chances do stories based on a show with much less recognizeability and respectability as the first film have?

Comment

I always remember this one line from Rachel, concerning the Kurgan: "The endless killing has driven him mad!" There's something to mine. I mean, after failing to take Connor's head, the Kurgan went off and did whatever. Apparently nothing that attracted all that much attention. Then eventually he came back, found Ramirez, fought him and took his head. Off he wandered again. We get to assume that he and Connor crossed paths every so often before 1986, but apparently he couldn't be bothered to come looking for him again during Heather's lifetime. In theory, their paths crossed while Connor raised Rachel. Maybe as a teen she hid and watched a fight or two that they had to walk away from.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
                    We get to assume that he and Connor crossed paths every so often before 1986, but apparently he couldn't be bothered to come looking for him again during Heather's lifetime. In theory, their paths crossed while Connor raised Rachel. Maybe as a teen she hid and watched a fight or two that they had to walk away from.
                    More than assume, we actually see Connor run into the Kurgan about 20 times between Connor leaving Scotland and the present day events of the first movie in the comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

More than assume, we actually see Connor run into the Kurgan about 20 times between Connor leaving Scotland and the present day events of the first movie in the comics.
                      *nodnod* Though I am thinking only of the original movie.

Comment

Working...
                      X