HIghlander: The American Dream #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIghlander: The American Dream #1

So #1 came in the mail today and I read it. It's a pretty breezy read, mostly introducing Osta Vasilek and showing us his unintentionally (I'm assuming) Darius-like background of spending centuries on Holy Ground. There is also a Watcher in the issue, or at least someone that's Watcher-like. The writer has gone in interviews mentioning he's only ever really seen the first movie, so both of these things could be entirely just him coming up with very similar things unintentionally.

The opening Rachel scene with Vasilek was good. It kind of felt like at least a couple of Highlander TV show episodes in the first season... where Tessa would get a visit from an Immortal looking for Duncan, and Duncan wasn't there in the antique shop. Felt very familiar.

Definitely grounded in the first movie. It is the Time of the Gathering and everybody is talking about it.

Connor can apparently "feel" Holy Ground, now. Unless he's just saying that. Oddly, though, it makes it a point to show that nothing bad happens fighting on Holy Ground.

Also weird: Hooke, who declares he does not care about the rules of the Game but knows that Duncan and Osta do, claims to be worried about "two-to-one ain't my kind of odds." Why would he be worried? There's a grand total of like 3 rules in the Game, and that's like Rule #2: no two on one, no ganging up... one to one, that's it.

There is no Buzz in this. The blond Immortal, Hooke, remarks that he can "smell" another Immortal, but that's not quite what we're used to.

It's all right. I'll see where it goes, though I wish a bit more basic research had been done beforehand.
    0%
    0%
    33.33%
    66.67%
    0%
    Highlander: Dark Places

I think that Connor's statement was not absolute, that all the holy symbols probably gave it away. I've finished Issue 4, and now know who is responsible for what. Osta's background is paralleling Darius', but there's no "A Quickening did it". I encountered a filk-song based on the movies, also by someone who didn't know about Darius, about an Immortal Priest who was determined to stay on Holy Ground so that there never would BE only one... Not a bad song.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
      Also weird: Hooke, who declares he does not care about the rules of the Game but knows that Duncan and Osta do, claims to be worried about "two-to-one ain't my kind of odds." Why would he be worried? There's a grand total of like 3 rules in the Game, and that's like Rule #2: no two on one, no ganging up... one to one, that's it.
      Was that even mentioned in the first movie, though? I'm trying to recall, but I think this rule came out of the TV show (though I could definitely be wrong, too). At least, I think the first movie to actually reference this directly onscreen is The Final Dimension, where Kane "no-no"s a two-on-one confrontation, so I guess maybe it technically does originate in the "movie" continuity...
      Last edited by Leto II; 06-27-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I just re-read issue 1, and picked out a few panels.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	delete1.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	9323

"I've known him rather longer than you have." NO YOU HAVE NOT! You just met him earlier. Grumble grumble she's known him for some forty years! *smack smack smack* Really, writers. Really.

Name:	delete2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	9324

Osta's reasoning for doubting if Connor is really a good man seems to be that he gets drunk.

Name:	delete3.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	9325

I did like this line very much. I can't post every panel. There's way too much. Though boy does his chin look weird in this one.

Comment

Working...
        X