Con auctions ...you bought what !?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Con auctions ...you bought what !?!

What is the craziest thing you saw auctioned off at a con from our favorite cast members?

For me it was at Syndicon in Baltimore watching Peter Wingfield autograph his empty Coke can. Then he spit into it and sealed it with tape before auctioning off Methos' DNA because his fan club members had shouted that they wished they could clone him. Someone bought the item.

Aww, ick.
    Wasn't there a con where a fan either bought or sold a tee shirt, persuaded AP to put on the shirt and then patted his abs while he did? If it's true, it's pretty outrageous.
    “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
    Billy Sunday

Comment

• Colleengael
      Colleengael commented
      Editing a comment
      That happened at one of The Gathering cons in Denver. I do have a picture of Adrian sans shirt but I destroyed the one of the fan groping him.

Don't blame you!
    Billy Sunday

Comment

I remember Faredawg paying like $5,000 for a chair at HLWW8.
      Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

It's true sorta. It was my first Con, and I was waiting to bid on a picture with "Duncan Macleod" in costume. In my minds eye, I saw me with a picture with Adrian Paul in a wig and a kilt.Turns out it was in costume from The Source, so at first I was disappointed. But the auction went long, so they announced they weren't going to have time to put those up. The last thing was going to be this Directors Chair signed by all the guests. I was bummed. The auction for the chair started and the bids were appropriate for a chair. Then someone said if they threw in a picture with Adrian, they would bid $400. He agreed and the bids started flying high. Then someone said if Peter was also in the picture they would bid $1000. That was my queue. I was prepared to go up too $2000. So I raised my hand and said if they threw Joe in (Yes I called Jim Byrnes Joe), I'd bid $1500. The crowd hollared and the two volunteered Jim for the photo and I was in at $1500. At this point, Carmel stepped in and said they had two chairs, so the top two bids would each get a chair and the photo. The next bid was $2000. And it went up and up. I keep chiming in, trying to stay at the top. It came down to two of us. My last bid was $4500. I was beat by a $5000 bid. I lost. I was disappointed and a bit embarrassed to have been outbid. Then they pointed at me saying I won the second chair. Turns out in the excitement, the two of us were trying to outbid each other. We both forgot about the two winning bid thing. So we spent much more than we needed to. We both got the chairs and the photos. Amanda (Elizabeth) joined in as well for the photo. It was a blast. They were all being funny, filling Amanda in on the bidding war. For one photo, I sat in the chair and Amanda decided to sit in my lap. I'm a big fellow, and I filled up the seat of the chair. When Amanda took a seat it was in my lap, or so she thought. But she missed a bit and sat on the hard, long wooden arm rest instead. Her eyes got real wide as her head spun to look me in my smiling face as she sat on this long hard thing she thought was in my lap. She jumped up with a loud "OH MY GOSH!" and ran across the room. At first none of us knew what had happened. Then she said "He is hard!" My face got red. Jim burst out laughing. Adrian and Peter started telling her it was the arm rest and made a bit of fun at her. It was hilarious. She returned to my lap, making sure it WAS the arm rest she was sitting on this time. All was good and she wrapped her arms around me and leaned in for the photo, with Peter, Jim and Adrian behind us. We took one or two more shots standing, talked for a few minutes and it was done.

So technically I did bid on the chair. I still have it, right here in my computer room. It's folded in the corner, a bit dusty, all the signatures have faded and are barely visible. But I still got the photos. And I made an unforgettable first impression on the Stars as well as the attendees who witnessed the crazy bidding on a chair. Both lead to more encounters with Adrian, Peter and Jim. On three occasions I sorta worked for Adrian as security. We went to other cons and were instantly remembered by the guests and the attendees, many who had become friends since that first Con. When my wife and I went to Vancouver for our 10th wedding anniversary, we saw Jim Byrnes twice and since by chance Peter was in town, we ended up seeing him 3-4 times, one was in a hotel bar where we watched the Hockey team win a playoff round. It was awesome drinking and cheering with Peter then going out into Vancouver were about 200,000 people took over the streets partying. We also saw Gillian at the Jim Byrnes concert which was about 100 miles north of Vancouver. She gave us a ride back into town in her car. That was an awesome conversation and experience.

And everytime I saw any of them, the story of Lizzy and the arm rest would come up. So to me, I bought that story with photo proof that day for $4500. It was allot of money, though back then to me it wasn't half what I made in a month. Also it was a charity bid. So half the bid went to either the Peace Fund or Peters's charity, I forget, so I got to write it off come tax time. It was totally worth it. It lead to so much more it turns out it was cheap actually. I met Andrew, among many others because of this buy. And we've had a few unforgettable adventures since then that probably wouldn't have happened if not for that auction. Hell, Andrew got to drive Adrian Paul's Cadillac basically because of that buy. I'm so glad I did it, even now. And I'm glad it happened when it did, since my days of making good money are long gone.

Thanks for for bringing up this great memory. And, if your still reading, thanks for taking the time to do so. Looking forward to October and hoping I might squeeze another shot of awesomeness out of that buy. Hope to see everyone in LA in October. Maybe YOU can buy a once in a lifetime experience at that auction. Or maybe There Can Be Only One 😜
        Last edited by Faredawg; 07-25-2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Awesome story!!
          Billy Sunday

Comment

Bwahaha! I remember you getting the chair, but I hadn't heard the story behind the picture before. That's hilarious!
            There was an auction where they gave each of the stars one of those one-shot cameras. I told myself I would bid for Jim's and Braun's, because I felt they'd have the most interesting shots of Peter, Adrian, and Liz. I promised myself I wouldn't spend more than $100. Bidding excitment got the best of me, and I ended up spending $250 for F. Braun's camera. Had about 10 really lovely shots on the roll. I'll dig them up and scan them in to share here soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Ertia View Post
              Bidding excitment got the best of me, and I ended up spending $250 for F. Braun's camera. Had about 10 really lovely shots on the roll. I'll dig them up and scan them in to share here soon!
              I've been waiting to see that for almost 10 years! Please do so.

HLWW10, I was coveting that Endgame coat. I always wanted that coat when I was a kid, and there it was. I told myself that I'd go in up to $500 for it but then I lost my nerve. I think it went for $475 or so.
              Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

I won a signed script for the episode Inferno from The Raven. It is one of the working scripts and has production notes in it from Elisabeth. Someday I am going to get Michelle Gomes and Paul Johansson to also sign it.

Comment

Working...
                X