Original Version Now Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Version Now Streaming

Yep, a 4:3 pan and scan copy of The Quickening somehow got processed and uploaded to the Roku streaming channel in all its Zeistian glory. It's not a true HD remaster, but it looks better than any old VHS copy does, so if you've ever felt like revisiting the film that has often been heralded as the worst sequel of all time in its original theatrical form without dusting off your old VCR, now you can.

I heard terrible things about Highlander II, so I didn't watch it until after I saw the other films and it wasn't that bad, maybe that is because I saw it after the Source?

The opening seems plausible, "The year is 2024. Industrial pollution has destroyed the ozone layer, leaving the planet at the mercy of the sun's ultraviolet rays." I wouldn't be surprised if our way of life does change dramatically due to global warming in the next 4 years.
    Last edited by MidnightBlue; 07-27-2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

It also seemed plausible when it was made, though of course over-dramatic. I object to one thing. I thought they should have made the shield for a dual purpose. It was restoring the ozone layer while it was up. Why not, after all?

Comment

It's interesting that instead of humans changing their behavior to make life more sustainable for the planet, they decided to keep their unsustainable way of life and try to extend it indefinitely. Michael Moore's documentary, Planet of the Humans, explores these ideas.

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but so far I think Highlander II was better than the other sequels (not counting the animated movie which I have yet to see). One issue I have with the other sequels is that they just randomly plop a woman in without character development and it's just taken for granted that MacLeod is in love with her. This feels forced to me. Here you meet Louise Marcus who is smart, determined, and compassionate, trying to do what she thinks is best for humanity. You get to experience Connor meeting Louise for the first time, the audience goes on that journey with him. She's beautiful, I'd kiss her too. You see her trying to wrap her mind around the whole immortality bit and experience her falling for Connor. It's believable. At the heart of the Highlander stories are the relationships.

Comment

I thought also it ought to have been set a minimum of ten years farther into the future, to account for how old Connor MacLeod looked. When the first movie was made, Immortals didn't stop aging at first death, but aged to maturity. Say, thirty years old. The Kurgan, for example, was supposed to have survived getting his head bashed in as a child.

Now, that actually works. If Connor topped out at approximately the equivalent of age 30, that would have made him 69 in 2024. That would entirely account for his appearance. If he started aging naturally after winning the Prize, and was physically only 18 (or 20, hahah) at first death, he would most likely have been in a bit better shape. As many actors have commented, an Immortal not aging, you've got about a decade at the most before it becomes too hard to sell.

Comment

I really enjoyed Christopher Lambert's acting as an old man, I felt like he really sold it and made it believable. But yeah, he did seem older than the years elapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightBlue View Post
              I really enjoyed Christopher Lambert's acting as an old man, I felt like he really sold it and made it believable. But yeah, he did seem older than the years elapsed.
              Yes! I did a search, though. About 70 WOULD fit.

Comment

Working...
              X