Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highlander 2: Renegade Version BD... is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander 2: Renegade Version BD... is it?

Concerning the second USA BD release of Highlander 2:
    Is it actually the Renegade Version?

I ask because the first USA BD -- simply titled Highlander 2 -- was a really terrible transfer of the Special Edition with the updated special effects, so if the second release is indeed the actual Renegade Version, it should be a different transfer with the original effects. If this is the case, I would also like to know if the transfer is any better. I can't imagine it not being a step up, as the first BD's transfer was so awful, but you never know how incompetently these things can be done sometimes.

I've always just assumed it was the same transfer, simply repackaged by a different distributor, but now knowing that there are multiple transfers of Highlander 3 out there, I've begun to wonder.

Any info here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's the SE.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Well, damn, that's too bad. Oh well, thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Here you go: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Highla.../61256/#Review

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Hmm, by the sounds of it, it is actually a bit cleaner of a transfer, yet the reviewer still laments that it's basically the same as the previous release. I wonder if it was actually a different transfer or just a better compression thereof -- perhaps the difference between a single layer BD and double layer?

Either way, it doesn't sound like its improved enough to bother rebuying it.

Comment

Same transfer, different encode. I own both and any benefits in regards to the slight different brightness level are small. They are there but if one has the previous edition I wouldn't recommend an "upgrade". The better detail Kaufmann is referring to stems from that brightness setting.

I really wish they'd do a better restoration of this.Too many scenes taken from sources far removed from the negative and there is apparent use of grain reduction as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The One With The Prize View Post
              I really wish they'd do a better restoration of this.Too many scenes taken from sources far removed from the negative and there is apparent use of grain reduction as well.
              Apparently there's a Japanese version of this one now, too, and it claims to be a new transfer. You said their Highlander 3 transfer was better than the German one, so I wonder if this one would be, as well. Also, it just says it's the director's cut, so it would be interesting to find out if it's the actual renegade version or just the special edition like the other BDs.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Highlander-...=AN1VRQENFRJN5
              ハイランダー2/甦る戦士 【HDニューマスター】ディレクターズ・カット完全版 [Blu-ray]が外国映画ストアでいつでもお買い得。当日お急ぎ便対象商品は、当日お届け可能です。アマゾン配送商品は、通常配送無料(一部除く)。

Comment

I didn't bother with the Japanese BD of H2 as I recall word was it was the same identical transfer as the Olive/Lionsgate BDs and thus also being the Special Edition. The only advantage of this set is the inclusion of the US theatrical cut on the DVD (albeit in pan & scan) but since I already have that in widescreen I wasn't particularly inclined to get this edition.

"New transfer" is merely "New for Japan" so not necessarily 100% proof of it being any different of a US release, or European for that matter. H3 was a "New HD master" as well but that scan in itself is an old one so take any PR buzz words with a grain of salt.

Comment

Well that's disappointing. Oh well.

Comment

Still wish for a BladeRunner type of BD-set with the two theatrical cuts, the Renegade Version and the Special Edition. With branching technology they'd be able to squeeze it down to two discs (Disc 1: the two theatrical + Renegade Version; Disc 2: Special Edition). Then put all the extras, both old and new, on a third disc. One can dream, eh?

Comment

That would be nice for all the films, really.

H1 - theatrical, international, director's cut
                      H2 - theatrical, international, renegade, special
                      H3 - theatrical, international, director's cut
                      H4 - theatrical, producer's cut, workprint
                      H5 - international (Russian), SyFy cut

Hell, even the anime film has two cuts.

Comment

I can see the value of releasing the theatrical cut and special edition of H2, but the other cuts of the movie are pretty redundant. The demand for the theatrical cuts of the first, third, and fourth films is probably not very strong. I wouldn't mind seeing them take another swing at editing together a coherent version of Endgame.

Comment

I'd like all different cuts released, as well. And I'd say its less about demand, and more about historical keeping and acknowledgement of the process that went into the released/final/official versions. Like with Blade Runner, for instance.

And to counter TOOTCB here, I'd rather they released a cleaner Rough Cut, or at least release those alternate from the other cuts scenes in HD. Or, SD but not VHS quality.

Comment

Also, the Olive Films Blu-Ray is totally missing all of the special features from the Lionsgate BD (which itself was minus a couple of features from the 2004 two-disc DVD edition, including the PiP "B-roll" footage), so hang onto that Lionsgate edition if you want it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleander View Post
                              I'd say its less about demand, and more about historical keeping and acknowledgement of the process that went into the released/final/official versions.
                              Come on, Al. Yesterday's gone, and all that remains of the past is this memory.
                              __________________________________________________

Comment

• Aleander
                                Aleander commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Sure thing, Lou Gramm.

Okay..you are looking for a version of the film in Turkish? I think I am starting to figure your posts out. Do you have a translator for your device?

Comment

Working...
                              X