Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If there had been a sequel to Highlander 2 (an actual sequel) what should it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If there had been a sequel to Highlander 2 (an actual sequel) what should it be?

Let's assume the theatrical Highlander 2 had been a huge hit, and resonated with critics alike. So they make a sequel to it... what would you like it to be? Connor leading a big return to the planet Zeist, restoring order there? Something else?
    Highlander: Dark Places

Probably Connor getting in trouble again on Zeist with the guy who is president, emperor, commander in chief or whatever the ranking is on Zeist and getting sent to other civilisations across the galaxy or sentenced to participate in a grand tournament similar to gladiator or coneheads or something.

To be fair: I'd watch that
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

How about this:

Connor and that girl (Louise?) are back on Zeist, but the planet is still in turmoil. Connor tries to bring an end to the fighting but there's always one more warlord (a la Katana) who is ready to step up and try to take power.

As the war rages on, Connor loses everyone close to him on Zeist: Louise, Nakano, Duncan and so on. The fighting goes on for years and the world is almost entirely devoid of life. Having given up on his home, he uses one of the last working teleporters to go into a self-imposed exile on earth.

Unfortunately, he finds earth to have become a lifeless husk; time moves much faster on earth than Zeist and while Connor was away humanity got wiped out without the intellect of a champion like Connor leading the way.

Devastated, Connor ends up summoning Ramirez back in his despair. It is through Ramirez that he realizes he has the souls and power of countless Zeistians in his blood thanks to all their Quickenings. As he is able to use that power to resurrect Ramirez, he could also "reboot" the earth. However, it would require all of his Quickening energy to accomplish something like this. He knows it is worth the sacrifice so he focuses all his power into one moment and dissolves in a burst of energy. All of his combined Quickening essence permeates the earth and sets the planet up for a return of humanity. This also means the energy of the Zeistians are also let loose so they, too, will return and be immortal when they are reborn.

This would allow the rebooted earth continuity to lead into the series with Duncan as the star.
      Last edited by n107; 05-15-2017, 09:15 PM. Reason: 500 different autocorrect mistakes.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
        dubiousbystander commented
        Editing a comment
        I could get behind that. Still, for HL2 to have been a hit, it would have to have been closer to the Extended Zeist edition. As it was released into at least the U.S. theaters, it was really low.

Originally posted by n107 View Post
      He knows it is worth the sacrifice so he focuses all his power into one moment and dissolves in a burst of energy. All of his combined Quickening essence permeates the earth and sets the planet up for a return of humanity. This also means the energy of the Zeistians are also let loose so they, too, will return and be immortal when they are reborn.

This would allow the rebooted earth continuity to lead into the series with Duncan as the star.
      How would it be a sacrifice if Connor, himself, would be reborn on Earth as well? To partake in the series version of H1 and "The Gathering" episode and all?

I get where you're coming from, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

How would it be a sacrifice if Connor, himself, would be reborn on Earth as well? To partake in the series version of H1 and "The Gathering" episode and all?

I get where you're coming from, though.
        He loses all memory of who he is, who he was, where he came from and he sentences himself to one day relive the whole Game, which never struck me as the most pleasant way to exist. Coupled with the fact there's no guarantee he'd win the second time, he's taking a huge gamble and basically "killing" who he is to save his adopted home.

Comment

Forget the other planet crap. I would have him say goodbye to Louise and use his knowledge to go back in time before the first film and make some different choices. These would then create an alternate reality and allow the new series reality to exist where Kurgan was not the final battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
            Forget the other planet crap. I would have him say goodbye to Louise and use his knowledge to go back in time before the first film and make some different choices. These would then create an alternate reality and allow the new series reality to exist where Kurgan was not the final battle.
            I wonder, how does he go back in time and make the ozone layer not be obliterated in 1999, preventing any need for a Shield Wall? Become, like, a really, really, really big environmental activist?

Comment

There were a lot of environmental activists in the 1960s and 1970s. Our school district actually used recycled paper produced at the local paper mill. We had weekly clean up and planting excursions with the school for science classes. The district even created a biology nature preserve to aid the science classes.

Connor could have become an activist at that time. Jane Fonda and Robert Redford began their own environmental activism then too.

Comment

There shouldn't have been a Highlander 2 in the first place. That being said, I would have loved to have seen whatever happened to the Priests and that place in the past in the flashback. A fan-fic that is now, sadly very, very gone, dealt with that in an interesting way, and I wish something like that had been done in comic-book form at some time. But aside from that, no direct sequel. Where do you go after Connor saved the world in more way than one? He saved the entire planet. The end.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                  dubiousbystander commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I always want to know about good fanfic.

• Aleander
                  Aleander commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Methos of Zeist actually was a decent origin story for Methos, and a way to tie Zeist/The Ancient Past into the overall multiverse.

Also, Jer's mythical fan-edit of The Source posited that the flashbacks of the Abbott and the Guardian occur in that past, and that the Guardian's meddling led to the shattering of the realm into a multiverse.

Also, what's up with the post counts? I'm fairly sure I had a lot more.

Comment

Excalibur in space. Or First Knight in space, if you need your Connery.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                  --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
                    There were a lot of environmental activists in the 1960s and 1970s. Our school district actually used recycled paper produced at the local paper mill. We had weekly clean up and planting excursions with the school for science classes. The district even created a biology nature preserve to aid the science classes.

Connor could have become an activist at that time. Jane Fonda and Robert Redford began their own environmental activism then too.
                    Connor would have to do a lot.

Comment

If anyone has access to a copy of either the Renegade Version Laserdisc or DVD (pre-2004), be sure to check out the making-of documentary -- Davis and Panzer (pre-The Final Dimension) actually discuss their desire to do further sequels set after the events of Highlander 2, but of course we all know what happened there. Still, Highlander 2: The Quickening remains the highest-grossing film in the entire series AFAIK, which only adds to the irony of it all.

Comment

I found this on IMDB:

Initial plans for a third film titled Highlander III: The Reckoning, would have detached the story even further from the original film. It would have taken place entirely on Zeist, and would have involved Connor training a rebel army to overthrow the rulers of the planet. However, the post-production editing of Highlander II, which changed that films ending, plus the poor box-office performance nixed the idea.

Comment

If I had to make a sequel to Highlander 2, I'd probably go with something like this:

After Highlander 2, Connor Macleod looks back on his past mistakes and decides that the best thing he can do for Earth right now is leave it alone for awhile.

Also, now that Katana is dead, Connor thinks that it could be the right time to return to Zeist and try to improve things there. Maybe he was never meant to save the Earth; maybe he was meant to save his home world. So, he uses tech that Katana had with him to return to Zeist.

But, Connor quickly discovers that while Katana may have been the biggest player on this particular scene, there are others who are more than happy to fill the void left by his passing, and if Connor wants to give Zeist a better future, he's going to have to go through them first.

Comment

Working...
                          X