Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Duncan keep and use Connor's sword?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Duncan keep and use Connor's sword?

You know, after Connor died?
    Highlander: Dark Places

Originally posted by highlander90s
    The sword that Duncan had was a "part of him", as Connors sword was a part of him.
    Though if we assume H3 is canonical, Connor only had that sword for a few months before Sanctuary time... and then for only like a few days afterward.

Comment

It would be fair to assume that he didn't value it as a potential weapon because it was no longer the sword made by a Masamune, which he had been shown to greatly respect and even collect in the series, so it's only value would be as a piece of his mentor, and given that we've seen him burying loved ones' belongings with them before, it just seems logical that he would leave the sword with Connor. This would explain what he did with the old clan claymore grave marker, as well, as taking the time to bury it alongside Connor properly would be a simple task that he would be more than willing to undertake.

Comment

I think I'll go with the idea that Duncan buried Connor's sword with him because it was his sword. The sword didn't belong to Duncan, it belonged to Connor, and he felt that it should stay with Connor. He's showing respect to his fallen brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
          You know, after Connor died?
          Simplest answer is, because no other Immortal ever kept their master's sword after their deaths, and they didn't think of the relationship in that kind of context to warrant thought as to whether or not Duncan should be keeping Connor's sword.

In short, because they didn't care to write him that way. But I doubt he was buried with it, either.

Comment

Is Connor really dead ??? Endgame is weird ...
            La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kladdagh View Post
              Is Connor really dead ??? Endgame is weird ...
              Yes. Connor is dead. Dead as Duncan took his head, and Connor helped out in the final fight with Kell. Dead, dead, dead.

But Endgame is, as you said, weird!
              Last edited by dubiousbystander; 02-19-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleander View Post
                But I doubt he was buried with it, either.
                I don't see why he wouldn't be buried with it. I believe it's common practice to bury a warrior with his weapon of choice. And, nowadays it's not unheard of for people to be buried with their favorite possessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post

I don't see why he wouldn't be buried with it. I believe it's common practice to bury a warrior with his weapon of choice. And, nowadays it's not unheard of for people to be buried with their favorite possessions.
                  Maybe. Just seems wasteful, no?

Comment

Maybe, but that's not the point. It's Connor's sword and it belongs with him. I think that's how Duncan would see it. He is rather sentimental like that.

Comment

Maybe, but that's not the point. It's Connor's sword and it belongs with him. I think that's how Duncan would see it. He is rather sentimental like that.
                      It's not like Connor buried Ramirez with his katana, though. No, Connor was like, "That's an awesome Masamune katana, I'm going to use it and Ramirez doesn't need it anymore."

Comment

Duncan Macleod isn't Connor Macleod, and he isn't required to behave like Connor Macleod. He has his own way of doing things, and burying Connor with his sword seems consistent with Duncan's way of doing things.

Comment

it would have been nice to see him have Connor's sword when battling Kell. had that been shown then i think it would have done it justice for Duncan to not have kept the sword afterward.
                          Power to the Donut!

Comment

I don't see why some peoples wish to see Duncan with Connor's sword ...
                            After all, he has a legacy with his own weapon ... I also believe he burried Connor with his katana
                            La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Eh, they're practically the same sword anyway. It makes little difference either way.
                              __________________________________________________

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                              --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
                                Eh, they're practically the same sword anyway. It makes little difference either way.
                                One is a lion and one is a dragon. You're telling me a lion is similar to a dragon?

Comment

Because Kell had it?
                                  Cracker Bob was pinned to a van with it to send Kell a message after all. I think it's more likely that Kell kept it as a souvenir.
                                  May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

One is a lion and one is a dragon. You're telling me a lion is similar to a dragon?
                                    Connor's sword isn't a lion. It's clearly Falcor from The Neverending Story.
                                    __________________________________________________

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                                    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

Yes. Connor is dead. Dead as Duncan took his head, and Connor helped out in the final fight with Kell. Dead, dead, dead.

But Endgame is, as you said, weird!
                                      Er...I just pretend Endgame didn't happen. Solves the whole problem..
                                      Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Originally posted by ~mj~ View Post

Er...I just pretend Endgame didn't happen. Solves the whole problem..
                                        It is not that easy ... ...
                                        La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Then there never would have been the Kell Show!

Comment

Working...
                                          X