Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese BD v German BD: Which is Better Quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese BD v German BD: Which is Better Quality?

I bought the German BD back when it was the only BD on the market, but since then a Japanese release has surfaced, so I was wondering if anyone was aware of any differences in quality. I know the Japanese release has actual special features and is immediately the best choice for those who haven't already bought it, but for the movie itself, I'm just curious if the video transfer is better. I ask because the German BD seems so dark compared to the US DVD that it has always kind of bothered me, even though it's easily crisper and better looking.

So yeah, if anyone can help me out here, that would be great, because I really don't want to blow $40+ importing a BD from Japan if the film transfer is the same as the German BD I already spent $20-ish on.

It is definitely not the same master as the German (and its bastard Australian offshoot). I prefer the Japan BD to the German one but it comes with its own drawbacks. Like many Miramax catalogue masters its a bit dated with a fair share of dirt throughout, not particularly detailed aside for the closeups and edge-enhanced up the wazoo.

Anyone wondering what cut is used this has Kane uttering the "...400 years" line, lacks the added FX from the original non-anamorphic R1 DVD but keeps the "God Took a Picture" song in the end credits.
    Last edited by The One With The Prize; 05-26-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

So it's different but not necessarily higher quality? May I ask how the light levels compare? The darker color tone compared to the US DVDs is my only honest complaint about the German BD transfer, so if the brightness is more in line with those I might have to start comparing prices to get the Japanese release imported.

Comment

I'm pisspoor with comparisons but if you are familiar with the Region 1 DVDs, which I'm sure you are, I'd say they are in the proximity of those. It's a shame Caps-a-holic doesn't have the Japanese one up for show as well. I really can't stand the Concorde/Umbrella releases, the colour timing on them makes my eyes puke.

I never bothered picking up the latest DVD from Lionsgate as I assumed it would be a port of the 2005 release but given the variations between the Japanese BD and the 1998 and 2005 DVDs I'm starting to wonder.

Comment

Alright, that answers my question fairly well. Thank you for taking the time to help me out here. Now I've just got to find the Japanese BD at a price I can justify.

As for the Lionsgate DVD release. I know for a fact that the copy in the four pack is just the 2005 DVD, so no need to wonder about that anymore. ^_^

Comment

What kind of special features does the Japanese one have? I've always wanted to know more about the making of Highlander 3 and the thinking behind it. I have both the Region 1 and Region 2 DVDs, but they have nothing but a trailer. Not sure if the Region 2 one even has that. I'd love a "Making of" or even a commentary, but that's probably asking for too much.
            Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

There is a 30 minute promotional featurette hosted by Leonard Nimoy concerning the history of the franchise and (I think) the making of the film, as well as a 10 minute interview with Christopher Lambert. I don't think there's a commentary, unfortunately, but I could be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Takk View Post
                There is a 30 minute promotional featurette hosted by Leonard Nimoy concerning the history of the franchise
                Oh ma Gaaaawd. Hope someone puts that on YouTube some day.

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

Originally posted by David McMurdo View Post

Oh ma Gaaaawd. Hope someone puts that on YouTube some day.
                  Will Facebook do?

Comment

Originally posted by The One With The Prize View Post

Will Facebook do?
                    Thank you! I've been in a dark, dark mood since the Manchester attack and that has genuinely lifted my spirits. It's not often that you get new Highlander content to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by David McMurdo View Post

Thank you! I've been in a dark, dark mood since the Manchester attack and that has genuinely lifted my spirits. It's not often that you get new Highlander content to watch.
                      A horrific attack. I was in Manchester and at the Arena in 2013 for a concert (which incl a soundcheck) and a chance to meet up with a bunch of fellow fans I've had the delight of knowing for around 20 years online and even took a group photo right outside where the bomb went off.

Comment

Working...
                      X