Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your biggest fear about the remake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your biggest fear about the remake?

I'm sure there are many, and we all have them. What is your personal biggest fear/worry about the Highlander remake?
    It will be too dramatic/teenaged-focused/Twilight-like.
    15.79%
    It will be too soft and PG-13.
    15.79%
    It will fly in the face of what we know about Immortals and the Game.
    15.79%
    It won't be a faithful adaptation of the first movie.
    10.53%
    It will be too trilogy-focused and not self-contained.
    5.26%
    It may feature Immortals shooting each other.
    5.26%
    Something else (explain).
    21.05%
    That it stays in Development Hell another few years.
    10.53%
    Highlander: Dark Places

I used to have loads of concerns about it, especially when I heard about the script that involved immortals using missile weapons etc. These days I just don't care. Not in the sense that I'm not interested in the film (I am), but I'm pretty happy to see them do whatever. I don't care if it's faithful to the first film, because the first film will still be there. It might be better if it tries to be something different since you'll never better the original anyway. I think we're safely out of the period where they'd seriously try and make a PG-13 Highlander film, especially with the chosen director.
    Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
      I'm sure there are many, and we all have them. What is your personal biggest fear/worry about the Highlander remake?
      Hell, all of the above

Comment

Just pull a Star Trek, bring back Lambert, as Old and Mortal Connor Macleod, meet his younger self, now played by Gaspard Ulliel, Old Connor somehow resets the Game, and boom, fresh Timeline.

Or

Have an Aging Duncan Macleod(gray and looking like Sean Connery) go back in time a few thousand years, and become Ramirez, then reset Timeline.

of course I'm not actually serious about this

Comment

That it will suck.
          It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

I would rather a new film add something new that fits in with what has gone before rather than have a recast and new explanations for their vision. They will try to explain everything instead of accepting that immortality is a kind of magic. They should have gone with a television series to get people hooked over time rather than throwing all the money into what they hope will be a blockbuster trilogy.

Comment

These attempts to Make Trilogies these days are getting embarrassing, The Source was supposed to be the first of a Trilogy, that when down the crapper. Terminator Salivation, was not exactly Bad, but it certainly didn't spawn a New Trilogy like it was supposed to, Terminator Genysis? well goodness, that was supposed to be the setup for a Trilogy as well.

They need to chunk the idea of a Trilogy for the most part, keep some concepts fore a continuation in place, plant a few seeds, but don't do a Movie that's just a set up to other movies, Focus on making one good movie, leave it open to go forward

Comment

Same as what Rambler said. I thought it immediately when I read the question.
                "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

I think my biggest fear is that the movie will not make sense when it reaches theaters. I fear that they will fridge the hero's love in order to motivate him because that's so very typical (or her, though I'm not certain they'd be able to realistically sell that). I fear that they will do... well, cop out on "There can be only one." The efforts to get out of that are admirable in their motivation (Don't kill some character we like!), but so far the only time I've been able to accept a variation is the cartoon's clever method: The Immortals can choose to give their Quickenings to another, rendering them mortal but leaving them alive to grow old (and maybe have children). Like, I feel that in The Source, it's logical that this IS in fact the few Immortals left are being drawn to a faraway land and will battle until there is only one! If you're going to get out of "There can be only one!" you really are going to have to write something great.

Don't write a poor story and try to sell the audience the idea that the sequel will be better because "this was just setup!" Write better. It can be done.

Comment

There can be only one Immortal can be gotten out of by having someone in a flashback teaching the student a longer version of the phrase...
                    ​​​There can be only one immortal truth. Good must battle evil to maintain balance in the universe.

The teacher could have written it down on a stone or metal tablet. That record got broken through time and only half the message was passed on as the whole truth. Someone could find the other half of the tablet in the current timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter76 View Post
                      These attempts to Make Trilogies these days are getting embarrassing, The Source was supposed to be the first of a Trilogy, that when down the crapper.
                      I'm aware of the press releases touting the Source trilogy, but I don't believe on any level creatively they were setting out as such. The Source doesn't even lend itself to a sequel, let alone two.

Comment

I'm aware of the press releases touting the Source trilogy, but I don't believe on any level creatively they were setting out as such. The Source doesn't even lend itself to a sequel, let alone two.

Comment

My biggest concern is that it will be stuck in "Development Hell" forever and never be made. I mean they can't even get a Director on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                            My biggest concern is that it will be stuck in "Development Hell" forever and never be made.
                            That's actually... probably the biggest fear. That should have been an option in the poll.

I mean they can't even get a Director on board.
                            They have John Wick director Chad Stahelski on board. This is probably the furthest things have ever been. From the sound of it, this is a passion project for the guy as well.

Comment

Well you've given me new worries that I hadn't considered. Before reading your list, I was afraid it would be a scene for scene remake or be overly reliant on FX and lose story. I think I'd most like to see something faithful to the genre' but with new characters and story.

Comment

I wouldn't call it fear, rather expectation.

I expect it to be socially and politically preachy.

I expect it to rely too heavily on SFX and fall short on plot.

I expect the fight scenes to be video game movie unrealistic and cliche'.

I expect provokative recasting; gender/racial inversion for its own sake, cartoonish WWE replacement for the Kurgan, and Ryan Reynolds in at least three of the roles.

I expect a storyline that is built around sequels that never happen and canon that only the most hard core fans of the franchise would know.

I fear all my expectations will be met.

Comment

I really worry that
                                  1. It will be PG-13. I get why it would be but I hate it when they make sequels.reboots of rated R movies and water them down the PG-13. If you have faith in your product and have solid production values then you shouldn't have to worry about the extra revenue that PG-13 would bring.

2. The fight scenes will be stylized and highly choreographed and/or shot in such a way that you can't even tell who is doing what. I want real sword fights, long shots of both actors and real dramatic weight to the action. I want to see them worry, get scared, get tired, try and outguess the opponent. Basically the difference between the first POTC sword fights vs the ones in the IV POTC. or.... the first Highlander vs the Source.

Comment

Mostly concerned that it will stay in development hell for another 10 years or never get made it all. When we get to the point where we know something is actually getting done then I will start to worry about the rest. I just want this franchise going somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by backstagejack View Post
                                      I really worry that
                                      1. It will be PG-13. I get why it would be but I hate it when they make sequels.reboots of rated R movies and water them down the PG-13. If you have faith in your product and have solid production values then you shouldn't have to worry about the extra revenue that PG-13 would bring.
                                      The leaked early script with the Immortals packing guns and all of that was definitely written with PG-13 in mind, you can tell by the way it's written and the tame dialogue.

Though we're in a post-Deadpool, post-Logan world now. R-rated movies are bringing in the cash. And with Chad Stahelski, the director of John Wick 1 and 2, aboard as director? I don't think he'd even be interested in partaking in a PG-13 Highlander movie. Could you imagine a PG-13 John Wick? There's no way.

Comment

...... And with Chad Stahelski, the director of John Wick 1 and 2, aboard as director? I don't think he'd even be interested in partaking in a PG-13 Highlander movie. Could you imagine a PG-13 John Wick? There's no way.
                                        He's aboard for now........ how many Directors have we been through at this rate? I know a lot goes on behind the scenes but I just don't understand how this movie isn't off the ground yet. To me it's not a hard concept, highlander follows a pretty set formula. The Series was able to flesh it out pretty well.

Immortals, Watchers, the curse of Immortality and what that means about the concept of living a life. There's a lot there you can do with along with the original mythology.

I read a "leaked" script that someone posted on this forum a few years ago....but not sure if it was a real one. I remember Kurgan was a smaller compact guy with a saber and Conner was a history professor. Also, they kept the scars of their wounds for some reason. That was way back when Ryan Reynolds was supposedly on board. It seemed pretty PG-13 as well.

If they must reboot it, I'd think it can't be that hard. but I'm sure that's easy for me to say. Rebooting 80s movies is a big thing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
                                          They should have gone with a television series to get people hooked over time rather than throwing all the money into what they hope will be a blockbuster trilogy.
                                          THIS. Highlander really lends itself to expansive story telling that gets lost on editing room floors in order to meet the running time. I'd love to seen an ensemble style series that gives writers a chance to follow multiple story-lines and characters with different experiences. A multi-generational immortal "family" Teacher 1, their student who takes in a new immortal, who becomes the next student (A Conner/Duncan/Richie kind of set up). Then we can experience different areas of immortality.

Comment

Originally posted by backstagejack View Post

He's aboard for now........ how many Directors have we been through at this rate?
                                            Justin Lin was "attached" for a little while, and then Cedric Nicolas-Troyan for a while. I don't think anyone else (at least, publicly)? And Stahelski seems to be the one most vocal of the three about his passion for doing it.

Comment

Another of my biggest fears.... the VERY uneven tone of the entire franchise. The movies, even the TV show at points. Who's fault was this? Panzer, Davis, both? Even the first movie is a bit quirky but after highlander II and The Source, the cartoon series..... the franchise overall gets pretty weird. I'd hope that the new movie, if it's ever made, can keep the more grounded tone of (most) of the TV show.

Comment

That it won't be a serious reboot, but a parody and not an enjoyable "Galaxy Quest" affair that was embraced for what it was and loved for itself as well, but that it will just be made fun of - kinda like it seems they've done with Baywatch.

Comment

Originally posted by LizzyB View Post
                                                  That it won't be a serious reboot, but a parody and not an enjoyable "Galaxy Quest" affair that was embraced for what it was and loved for itself as well, but that it will just be made fun of - kinda like it seems they've done with Baywatch.
                                                  Hah, the Highlander equivalent of Baywatch, CHIPS, or 21 Jump Street? I imagine it could work as such, even being hysterical... but I don't know if that'd really (re?)build much of a franchise. I also can't imagine Stahelski would want to direct such a thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X