Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your biggest fear about the remake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Hah, the Highlander equivalent of Baywatch, CHIPS, or 21 Jump Street? I imagine it could work as such, even being hysterical... but I don't know if that'd really (re?)build much of a franchise. I also can't imagine Stahelski would want to direct such a thing.
    I hope not because it wouldn't be fair. Highlander deserves a proper effort. Happily, it seems Stahelski wants to do a good job.

Comment

I just worry that it will be cheap and bad. Bad writing, bad acting, bad directing, bad editing... we've had it all.
      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
      Billy Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
        I just worry that it will be cheap and bad. Bad writing, bad acting, bad directing, bad editing... we've had it all.
        It definitely wouldn't be bad directing.
        Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

• Coolwater
          Coolwater commented
          Editing a comment
          It sure could be. We won't know who is actually directing until the film gets started and even then, I wouldn't put it past HL to change directors in mid stream.

I worry that the only love interest we have will be remembered in the past, through photographs. That his only companion will be a faithful pet. I worry that our hero will end up in a position where every person around might be out to kill him. That I'm going to reach a "Really. How are you going to write a believable way for him to survive this?"

Comment

• Coolwater
          Coolwater commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, of course, he is saved by his loyal pet, Duncan the Monkey, who fetches the keys to the iron cage Connor's been chained into just before the mortal son of Horton drops him in the ocean to drown and revive and drown again forever. And the monkey sacrifices himself to do it, too.

• dubiousbystander
          dubiousbystander commented
          Editing a comment
          Coolwater, you are my family! heeheehee

It's tough to decide what the biggest fear is, but I suppose for me it's that they'll take everything we've come to know about Immortals through the original movie and the TV series and just turn it on its head. In my opinion, if they did that then it wouldn't really be Highlander.

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
          Tootsie Bee commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be Highlander: The Source.

• Rabid Rooster
          Rabid Rooster commented
          Editing a comment
          haha good point

Good point. I've never understood why, if they're going to change the story so drastically, they don't just give the characters new names and a new title and present it as a whole new concept.
        “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
        Billy Sunday

Comment

• Rabid Rooster
          Rabid Rooster commented
          Editing a comment
          so they can sucker all of us existing Highlander fans out of our money by trying to pass it off as being a Highlander movie

• Coolwater
          Coolwater commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, yeah, you're right.

I'm definitely worried that the magic of the original will be lost. I'm not looking for a reinvention of the wheel here, I'm looking for an updated retelling of the Highlander story. And, that's an important distinction for me. It must stay true to the spirit of Highlander.

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
        I think my biggest fear is that the movie will not make sense when it reaches theaters. I fear that they will fridge the hero's love in order to motivate him because that's so very typical (or her, though I'm not certain they'd be able to realistically sell that). I fear that they will do... well, cop out on "There can be only one." The efforts to get out of that are admirable in their motivation (Don't kill some character we like!), but so far the only time I've been able to accept a variation is the cartoon's clever method: The Immortals can choose to give their Quickenings to another, rendering them mortal but leaving them alive to grow old (and maybe have children). Like, I feel that in The Source, it's logical that this IS in fact the few Immortals left are being drawn to a faraway land and will battle until there is only one! If you're going to get out of "There can be only one!" you really are going to have to write something great.

Don't write a poor story and try to sell the audience the idea that the sequel will be better because "this was just setup!" Write better. It can be done.
        I think the issue of "There Can Be Only One" should be something that remains up in the air for a long while. Can there really be only one? Could they choose to simply stop killing each other, or is this a destiny that they can't escape? There's lots of room for good drama there, as shown in the series. We see Immortals becoming friends and developing strong bonds over the centuries, all the while knowing that The Game insists that they eventually kill each other, and they don't know what they should do about it. Do they take a chance and reject The Game, or do they play it out the way they've been taught to? What would be the consequences?

Comment

• dubiousbystander
          dubiousbystander commented
          Editing a comment
          I ponder if the consequences are worldwide disaster, if the Immortals don't carry through.

• Colleengael
          Colleengael commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been thinking that maybe immortal's who don't take a lot of Quickenings or weak Quickenings start to age at a faster rate than an immortal who have several ancient Quickenings under their belt. It could explain why some of the immortal's have aged versus some of the ones who have been active in the game and are still looking much the same.

Could be. Or, maybe nothing would happen. That's part of the beauty of the mystery. The characters have to make potentially colossal decisions without knowing all the facts.

Comment

I don't like reboots ... They generally are s**t ... And Highlander deserves better ...
          La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

That's understandable. I'm not sure how many times I've actually enjoyed them. But, odds are that we're going to get one, so we'd might as well root for it to be a good one this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post
              I'm definitely worried that the magic of the original will be lost. I'm not looking for a reinvention of the wheel here, I'm looking for an updated retelling of the Highlander story. And, that's an important distinction for me. It must stay true to the spirit of Highlander.

I think the issue of "There Can Be Only One" should be something that remains up in the air for a long while. Can there really be only one? Could they choose to simply stop killing each other, or is this a destiny that they can't escape? There's lots of room for good drama there, as shown in the series. We see Immortals becoming friends and developing strong bonds over the centuries, all the while knowing that The Game insists that they eventually kill each other, and they don't know what they should do about it. Do they take a chance and reject The Game, or do they play it out the way they've been taught to? What would be the consequences
              Pnr Status TextNow VPN ?
              exactly that what i was want to say
              Last edited by klimbo123; 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X