Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What age should Connor be this time around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age should Connor be this time around?

Meaning, what age do you think Connor should receive his First Death and be frozen at, physically, in the remake? In the existing universe this happened at age 18.
    18, like before
    0%
    0%
    Mid-20s
    14.29%
    Late-20s
    42.86%
    Early-30s
    42.86%
    Other
    0%
    Highlander: Dark Places

Hollywood's power of illusion could probably sell us "early 30s" for much longer than it could do so with the other options. Alternatively, they could hand wave the whole thing and say that immortals begin aging normally once the Gathering begins.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
      Hollywood's power of illusion could probably sell us "early 30s" for much longer than it could do so with the other options.
      Yeah, I tend to agree. Though 30 in 1518 wouldn't look like 30 in 2017.

Alternatively, they could hand wave the whole thing and say that immortals begin aging normally once the Gathering begins.
      That'd be interesting, but a little problematic. What about things like Fasil doing flips? Would they suddenly, too, start feeling the age of their bodies?

Comment

Well, she didn't say they'd age abnormally quickly! Heehee. But we already had that, in The Source. The Immortals were drawn to a faraway land to fight for the Prize, and they started to age normally...

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
          Well, she didn't say they'd age abnormally quickly! Heehee. But we already had that, in The Source. The Immortals were drawn to a faraway land to fight for the Prize, and they started to age normally...
          We don't know that they started to age normally, we just know that their healing factor went away.

Comment

• Coolwater
            Coolwater commented
            Editing a comment
            My father pointed out that what we think of as age, really is the perception of cumulative damage. Injury to skin, injury to joints, injury to sensory systems, etc. When you don't heal, you "get old."

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

We don't know that they started to age normally, we just know that their healing factor went away.
          True indeed! We did not have enough time. My hero, Andrew Modeen!

Comment

If we want to have a new franchise that lasts as long as the first one, we'll have to allow for aging actors. So, immortal but ageing logically gives us the grisly situation we had in The Source. I don't think that's a good plan.

We could have a young actor made up (or CGIed) to look a bit older and then adjust the make up as he ages and that would give us an immortal. Age Progression software could give the make-up people a good idea of what our actor will look like as he ages. Also, it wouldn't hurt to remember that faces with thin muscles age more slowly than faces with heavy muscles, which sag.

Or create story meta arcs that shift protagonists. That way we follow Connor, then maybe Duncan, ad then come back to Connor with a different, younger doppleactor.

The only other thing I can think of is the Adrian Paul approach, which is to get a a really good plastic surgeon. (Yeah, yeah, "drink a lot of water.") It means that we have to take better care of our Connor: no basking in the sun, no dropping him on his head. And laying down wonderful action shots for future use would be good, too.
            “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
            Billy Sunday

Comment

But Adrian Paul does look his age...

Comment

• Coolwater
                Coolwater commented
                Editing a comment
                He does now, but he looked pretty good for the last film.

Just say that immortal's age slower than mortals because the immortality speeds up their healing process while slowing down the aging. We have already seen how even immortals can get out of shape through diet, drugs and a lack of exercise. I would still rather see all new characters and stories than a retelling of stories we have seen before. The movies that have gone that route have always bombed in the box office. Expand the franchise by creating new stories instead of reinventing what worked before.

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                If we want to have a new franchise that lasts as long as the first one, we'll have to allow for aging actors. So, immortal but ageing logically gives us the grisly situation we had in The Source. I don't think that's a good plan.

We could have a young actor made up (or CGIed) to look a bit older and then adjust the make up as he ages and that would give us an immortal. Age Progression software could give the make-up people a good idea of what our actor will look like as he ages. Also, it wouldn't hurt to remember that faces with thin muscles age more slowly than faces with heavy muscles, which sag.
                Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Or create story meta arcs that shift protagonists. That way we follow Connor, then maybe Duncan, ad then come back to Connor with a different, younger doppleactor.

The only other thing I can think of is the Adrian Paul approach, which is to get a a really good plastic surgeon. (Yeah, yeah, "drink a lot of water.") It means that we have to take better care of our Connor: no basking in the sun, no dropping him on his head. And laying down wonderful action shots for future use would be good, too
                i agreed with you
                Last edited by klimbo123; 01-29-2019, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah, for the sake of accuracy, the actor who plays Connor would probably have to be a bit older than the character would be when his story begins. Like Andrew NDB said, 30 in 1518 wouldn't look the same as 30 in 2019, If you want Connor to look like a 30 year old in modern times, he'd probably have to start out as an 18 year old, because life was tough back then and people got old fast.

What if they said that while Immortals don't actually age like normal people, they do change in subtle ways. It's just more of a cosmetic change, rather than their bodies wearing out like ours do. Physically, they remain just as capable as ever, even improving over time as they learn more and take more Quickenings, but sometimes they look more worn down from the stress of living such long lives. A person who becomes Immortal at 18 may not experience the same kind of wear and tear as a mortal man at age 200, but he or she may not look as fresh-faced and youthful either, because they aren't.

And, of course, they can always use the James Bond approach. Pick an actor, work with them for as long as possible, then recast.

Comment

Working...
                  X