Highlander reboot wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander reboot wishlist

Since we are getting a trilogy I would like to see some stuff from the series being used in the Highlander trilogy

Stuff such as

Methuselah's Stone(That episode could be an interesting idea for a feature movie)

Watchers and of course Hunters

And for last I would like to see Ahriman or any other supernatural entity(I always believed with the right writing that a supernatural entity could work well on the Highlander mythos)

What say you fans??

What is your wish list for the reboot??

I'd be ok with the Watchers and maybe the Hunters, but I wouldn't be upset if they left them out

I have no interest in Methuselah's Stone, I wasn't terribly fond of that episode

I did not care for that whole Ahriman story arc at all........I think people who live forever unless they get their heads cut off is plenty supernatural on its own

My wishlist is simple: stay true to the basic original concept of Immortals, don't overdo it, like they did in that last movie to come out

Comment

My list of DOs:
      1. A MacLeod who uses aliases over the years;
      2. The Watchers/Hunters (but not a secret this time!);
      3. The Gathering (stretched over the film series);
      4. The Prize won by MacLeod in the last sequel;
      5. A Methos/Darius type ancient immie with a dark past;
      6. An Amanda type carefree old flame for MacLeod;
      7. Both a mentor (e.g. Ramirez) and a protégé (e.g. Richie);
      8. The ability to sense life forces in nature ("Feel the stag!");
      9. Flashy transitions between the past and present.

My list of DON'Ts:
      1. Any fantasy/sci-fi idea that wasn't in the original film;
      2. Special abilities such as illusion powers or mind control;
      3. Any notion of the Game being a lie or other such twists;
      4. Overt farce or clumsy tonal shifts into comedy;
      5. More than one villain with a K in the name;
      6. Silly-looking Quickenings (e.g. Line of Fire);
      7. More than one immortal MacLeod in the new canon;
      8. Gimmicky, impractical swords or techniques;
      9. More than 30 immortals alive in the present.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
      --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Great ideas guys and honestly I would like for the Prize to be something worth for any Immortal to fight for(Not a telepathy thing only)

Comment

I would love if they took a step back from "flyinning" and take it down a notch on doing wild acrobatics and flourishes just to fulfill a rule of cool. I really wish the production will spend a little more time and budget to hire professional modern stage combat consultants and base the swordplay historical or practical research on the sword fight choreography, making each immortal fight with a distinctive style that belongs to their time period and showcases the proper way to use the type of weapon they're using. A smallsword, an English hand and a half or a claymore should not be used the same way one wields a katana. I can accept MacLeod using a blend of styles, as this reflects what he's picked up from his mentors (plus, being the main hero he has to look a bit cooler) but it would be a nice detail to keep in mind. Having actors who are properly trained and understand the basic guards, distance, timing and stances (and overall movement!) reflects a lot on the quality of action scenes. When they lack the time to properly train a scene or don't meet the physical requirements and familiarity with a weapon to perform, it can really show (like in some scenes from Game of Thrones... I love the character and his acting chops, but you can totally notice how much Nikolaj Coster-Waldau really struggles with a blade on his hands)

Comment

Originally posted by Lokuzt View Post
            I would love if they took a step back from "flyinning" and take it down a notch on doing wild acrobatics and flourishes just to fulfill a rule of cool. I really wish the production will spend a little more time and budget to hire professional modern stage combat consultants and base the swordplay historical or practical research on the sword fight choreography, making each immortal fight with a distinctive style that belongs to their time period and showcases the proper way to use the type of weapon they're using. A smallsword, an English hand and a half or a claymore should not be used the same way one wields a katana. I can accept MacLeod using a blend of styles, as this reflects what he's picked up from his mentors (plus, being the main hero he has to look a bit cooler) but it would be a nice detail to keep in mind. Having actors who are properly trained and understand the basic guards, distance, timing and stances (and overall movement!) reflects a lot on the quality of action scenes. When they lack the time to properly train a scene or don't meet the physical requirements and familiarity with a weapon to perform, it can really show (like in some scenes from Game of Thrones... I love the character and his acting chops, but you can totally notice how much Nikolaj Coster-Waldau really struggles with a blade on his hands)
            Well that is why the reboot has now director Chad Stahelski to direct it and his production team 87eleven studios ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST when it comes to fighting chreography

Here is a scene they worked on for 47 Ronin ...their work is the staff of legend

https://youtu.be/tLedyv3eqKI

Comment

• Lokuzt
              Lokuzt commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah, that fight scene looks intense! I hope it moves in that direction... buuut I have a few nitpicks:

#1 it needs longer cuts. wider angles and lengthier sequences: if you cut that close all the time and adjust the camera angle after every hit or exchange, get the equivalent of shaky cam. This is done most of the time under the excuse of heightening the stress of a scene, but comes across more as a quick way to cheat spots where a performer was not able to get the timing or memorizing of a sequence right and they need to pause and reset. The ideal action movie exchange should be from 4 to 12 moves and their corresponding counter techniques.

nitpick #2: It could use some realistic sword bind techniques, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJl3dpwRrY . When blades bite edge to edge, they don't "lock" so you can start a pushing contest (I'll give it a pass if it's used to have some quick witty banter, insult or dialogue)

Nitpick #3: (this one is more of a subjective taste thing) katana cuts and slashes should lead with the blade edge, not with the hands; the "blade backward" stance (in the context of when the sword has already been drawn off the scabbard) is something that belongs in anime and edgelordy fanfics.

Originally posted by Niklander View Post

Well that is why the reboot has now director Chad Stahelski to direct it and his production team 87eleven studios ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST when it comes to fighting chreography

Here is a scene they worked on for 47 Ronin ...their work is the staff of legend

https://youtu.be/tLedyv3eqKI
            Well judging from John Wick 1 and 2 I have a hunch that the fights will have a wider angle....majority of the movie fights are in wider angle

Comment

Working...
            X