No, Dave Bautista is NOT in the Highlander remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, Dave Bautista is NOT in the Highlander remake

I mean, he might end up getting cast at some point (though I would urge against it... he's got a bit of charm but he doesn't have the range or sheer horror that Clancy was able to bring out) but in no way, shape or form has he been attached to star in the remake as the Kurgan. There's not even any casting going on right now. And the "news" that he was was a couple of directors ago, anyway.
    I want to see Dave Bautista in the remake
    66.67%
    I do not want to see Dave Bautista in the remake
    33.33%
    Highlander: Dark Places

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the remake as one of the immortals. I hope they do a cameo montage with immortals losing their heads.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

He has the right look, but if he isn't much of an actor, then, nope.
      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
      Billy Sunday

Comment

If he's filling in for the Fabulous Freebirds, no problem. If he's following Rowdy Roddy Piper and Adam Edge Copeland in performing as a Highlander actor, no.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
        --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

He would make a good Kurgan.
          "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

The Kurgan is supposedly a fearsome warrior and Dave Bautista has admitted he is not a thespian but his stuff like Guardians Of The Galaxy....he is good in those

Comment

No thanks to Bautista. They should make The 'new' Kurgan more like Widen's original idea...a cool blooded character that the audience almost feels sympathetic towards. Devoid of feeling and compassion, driven only by lust for the prize. Don't get me wrong, the Clancy Brown Kurgan is amazing....but I think they should go for something a little bit less 'comic book evil bad guy' and more of a cold, calculative and chilling antagonist. Bautista could not portray such a character.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Katana View Post
                No thanks to Bautista. They should make The 'new' Kurgan more like Widen's original idea...a cool blooded character that the audience almost feels sympathetic towards. Devoid of feeling and compassion, driven only by lust for the prize. Don't get me wrong, the Clancy Brown Kurgan is amazing....but I think they should go for something a little bit less 'comic book evil bad guy' and more of a cold, calculative and chilling antagonist. Bautista could not portray such a character.
                Agreed. Though I dunno... if they're going to make a character different than the Kurgan... why even use the Kurgan?

<--- very sour that every movie except for H4 has had a Kurgan clone and now, for an encore, they're literally doing the Kurgan for the remake. Except it's a remake, so it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Agreed. Though I dunno... if they're going to make a character different than the Kurgan... why even use the Kurgan?

<--- very sour that every movie except for H4 has had a Kurgan clone and now, for an encore, they're literally doing the Kurgan for the remake. Except it's a remake, so it makes sense.
                  Thing is, hardcore fans and anyone who remembers Highlander would complain if Kurgan didn't make an appearance in the remake since he's possibly the most memorable character from the 1986 original. Pains me to say it being a Connor fan but he (Kurgan) did steal the show.

They could mix it up a bit and include the Kurgan in the remake. I don't see why they couldn't change the character. After all, its a remake/reboot so aspects of the movie are going to change...some parts will be significantly different, other parts will be close to the original. I don't see why they couldn't keep Kurgan. Also, if they plan to make a franchise out of the reboot they need to be careful how they utilise Kurgan in the first remake as I think the character might be used in future sequels.

I for one would remove some aspects of the original Kurgan in the reboot - turning him into a bumbling psychopath who decides to "cut his hair" towards the end of the first film. This is what I'm saying when I refer to moving away from the "comic book evil bad guy" approach. Hell, even if they have to make the new Kurgan as imposing as Clancy's character....just change the persona a little, just make him more like Widen's original perception.

Giving the Kurgan a new look/persona would really make the reboot stand out from the original. Remember that anything after the first Highlander film (other than The Series) was a complete flop. I just want the reboot to start off on the right foot so it's finally given the credibility that Highlander has always deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Katana View Post

Thing is, hardcore fans and anyone who remembers Highlander would complain if Kurgan didn't make an appearance in the remake since he's possibly the most memorable character from the 1986 original
                    The thing is... there aren't really enough Highlander "hardcore fans" around anymore to move the needle much. They might as well do something new with new characters, but that's just me.

Comment

I was thinking today. After watching Blade Runner 2049 as well as its preceding short films... we got to see a much more nuanced Batista than we've ever seen before. I don't think I'd be outright against him as Kurgan anymore.

Comment

I'm not against anyone as... okay, no Ryan Reynolds. I just want it to be good!

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
                          I'm not against anyone as... okay, no Ryan Reynolds. I just want it to be good!
                          Can you imagine his fake Scottish accent?

Comment

While Bautista was written as an immortal in the Highlander/WWE crossover fan fiction called Hot August Nights on the old board...I would not like to see him cast as Kurgan. As a new immortal character that we have never seen before...that might be enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                              I was thinking today. After watching Blade Runner 2049 as well as its preceding short films... we got to see a much more nuanced Batista than we've ever seen before. I don't think I'd be outright against him as Kurgan anymore.
                              I thought Bautista did a good job in BR 2049 as well. He seems to have evolved well beyond Rowdy Rod.

Comment

Working...
                              X