Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you accept a gender-bending Highlander remake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you accept a gender-bending Highlander remake?

I mean, with female versions of Connor, Ramirez, the Kurgan, and male versions of Heather and Brenda. Not necessarily the same characters, but essentially filling the same roles or archetypes.
    Yes
    58.33%
    No
    25.00%
    That is ridiculous!
    8.33%
    I am indifferent
    8.33%
    Highlander: Dark Places

I wouldn't mind. It would be interesting to see what they come up with for The Kurgan because in the historic context they would have quite a few challenges, brute forcing herself through history seems unlikely. I don't see why Ramírez couldn't or shouldn't be female.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

As long as they write a different story and use different names and situations. Basic themes about Immortals but seen from the female viewpoint. There were female immortals shown in the two series. Developing a film or series based on one of the older ones would be a great way to show the world about Immortals without trampling on or remaking what has gone before.

Rebecca Horne, Kyra, Cassandra, Ceirdwyn, Nefertiri were all ancient ones. Amanda, Catherine, Grace, Katya, Regan, and Felicia Martin's were all around too.

I could support a new version as long as they don't make the immortal a MacLeod too.

Comment

I'd be more likely to watch that than a more straight remake, seriously, they want to honor the Original? then leave that one alone, similar story setup ok, but all differnt Character names, the Story of Connor Macleod is over, it's been over since the original film ended, it got dug back up, time to leave that behind, unless Adrian Paul is going to be playing him, don't use Duncan. use some originality, they want to use the Macleod name, I'd prefer the leave it alone, but cant win them all, just don't do an obvious recyling, try some new things? sure, no Immortals with limbs digitally growing back. If there was a serious attempt to create a Female Highlander, totally differn't character in her own right, that be fine.

Comment

And don't let Paul Feig touch it!

Comment

That sounds like a great idea. Worked for the Ghostbusters remake.

Comment

Originally posted by Draknoir2 View Post
              That sounds like a great idea. Worked for the Ghostbusters remake.
              Paul Feig took Slime and turned it into Shit!

Comment

I agree with Colleengael. If it was a different story. Just replacing the original characters with females would go against what has become cannon. If they want to make a Highlander movie that explores one or more of the female Immies' histories that would be excellent as they never got that much exposure (except for Amanda) in the series and none in the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter76 View Post
                  And don't let Paul Feig touch it!
                  Didn't know the director's name. I owe you a Coke.

Comment

Honestly, if they are going to remake it I'd almost want them to just do something different because I don't need a better version of the same thing. Just cast a female lead who can actually handle a sword. I want the sword fights to look good! There are plenty that could do it.

Comment

• Colleengael
                      Colleengael commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Then they should cast Roberta Brown. She works with Tony De Longis and Bob Chapin. She was the stunt double on Queen of Swords and has also taught the Rainbow Flying Fan classes with Elizabeth Gracen.

Constance MacLeod? The Spanish Pea Hen? The Kurganuh, Heath and Brendan? Mmm, I'm with Coleengael and Lady_CJ: gotta change the plot. And define a whole style of fighting that relies on speed and wily-ness instead of upper body strength.
                    “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                    Billy Sunday

Comment

If it was done well then yeah. The way you do that kind of thing wrong is by making it all about the fact that they are female. The Ghostbusters remake is the worst example of this in recent times. Both the marketing and the script focused on the fact that the protagonists were women to the point where they suggested that anyone who disliked the film only disliked it because it featured women. It was very cynical and disingenuous on the part of the makers.

I think that my favourite female protagonist of all time is Ripley from the Aliens franchise. She's a great character that every science-fiction fan loves (including the ones who hated the Ghostbusters remake). Not once in the series is attention drawn to the fact that she's a woman—that fact is incidental, as it should be. It would have been the easiest and most predictable thing in the world for Ridley Scott and James Cameron to have made the men around Ripley constantly doubting her because she's a female, but it never comes up. Instead the focus is rightly on the plot and her ability to resolve the problems at hand. The same is true whenever you're featuring atypical characters in a role. If it becomes about what makes them atypical in that position, then it starts to feel like a gimmick, and it quite often is. The only exception would be if the plot itself is about them overcoming adversity to be accepted in that position, and there are countless film that revolve around that, though obviously a Highlander remake wouldn't be one of them.

What was surprising is that The Raven didn't fall into the above trap. It's surprising because at the time it was made that kind of thing was all the rage. But the writers wisely avoided it. So we've already got one example in the same series where they at the very least avoided falling into the worst trap of all. I've never once heard anyone complaining that there's a Highlander series starring a woman.

But as for having the exact same characters as the original film, just as female versions—I don't think that would work because the script is written with the dynamics between males and females in mind. If I try to imagine Connor's pursuit of Brenda or his scene with the dying Heather redone exactly the same but with the sexes reversed, it just seems deeply wrong to me. But if you kept the archetypes and did a rewrite, I think it could work. They would never do it now though. Especially not in the wake of the reaction to the new Ghostbusters. It wouldn't be a worthwhile risk for them I don't think.
                      Last edited by David McMurdo; 05-19-2017, 07:07 PM.
                      Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

It's funny you mention that .. it was mentioned that they wanted to do a gender swap on ramirez...we did some preliminary art on her and her weapons and history. Even wrote a few shorts with her and the kurgan as past lovers... I don't think it went anywhere ...

Comment

Originally posted by David McMurdo View Post
                          They would never do it now though. Especially not in the wake of the reaction to the new Ghostbusters. It wouldn't be a worthwhile risk for them I don't think.
                          Probably not. Though that movie's failure had a lot more to do with it being painfully unfunny and insipid than it having four female leads.

Comment

Ghostbusters remake was horrible, in every aspect imaginable.
                            It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

• Colleengael
                              Colleengael commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I only watched it to see Chris Hemsworth.😀

That would not bother me at all.

Comment

I would be down with a female-led remake. Just not another MacLeod character. I'm starting to think that all immortals come from that clan!

Regardless of the genders of the characters I just want something well written. And good sword work.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernChickie View Post
                                I would be down with a female-led remake. Just not another MacLeod character. I'm starting to think that all immortals come from that clan!
                                Or somehow end up in their clan/get adopted by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishamericanlad View Post
                                  It's funny you mention that .. it was mentioned that they wanted to do a gender swap on ramirez...we did some preliminary art on her and her weapons and history. Even wrote a few shorts with her and the kurgan as past lovers... I don't think it went anywhere ...
                                  .... Why would she and the Kurgan have been past lovers? Quite frankly I can't see that as having come from anything other than the fact that she's a woman.

(I find some humor in the fact that Starbuck and Baltar having sex used to be slash, but now it's canon.)

Comment

• SouthernChickie
                                    SouthernChickie commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I agree. There's no reason for them to be lovers regardless of gender of the characters. If they need to have a past with each other they could be from the same tribe, or one trained the other and the trainee turned on the mentor, or one killed the other's student, or one knows the other by reputation and has been hunting them, or one challenged the other and got snubbed/stood up...... that's just off the top of my head and all of these scenarios would work regardless of the gender of either character.

2 ancient immortals, a male and female, knowing that any mortal they love will die, any one close to them will turn to dust, you don't see why they would form a bond? One that last hundreds of years until she could no longer take the evil that has become, she leaves on her own to mentor other immortals to be honorable and protect man.
                                  I'm sorry that you can't see the beauriful tragedy.. however I would NOT like a gender swap, nor a racial swap, seeing how Hollywood loves doing that. A remake of the film needs to be true to the original. If someone wants a new group of immortals, then write the story as a new fresh take on new characters.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                                    dubiousbystander commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    2 ancient Immortals, a male and a male, 2 ancient Immortals, a female and a female... so far, the only thing you're offering is that "Because one is a man and one is a woman."

Oh boy,, so because I say male and female and not male male or female female you can't see what I am explaining lol what a joke.
                                  Who cares if their straight or gay? To most people no one does.. But guess what? The original characters were not. And the remake should hold true to the original idea.. go write your own film with a gay character and lover and make it interesting... to me, you trying to focus on the fact that they aren't written as gay, is as lame as trying to write in existing characters to be gay to fit some current PC agenda. Xena warrior princess was obviously gay (bi), and the whole story was written around the bond between her and Gabriel, awesome show and awesome story line, so lets rewrite the film and make her straight and Gabriel into gabe.. the young nieve male following a strong straight women warrior.. ridiculous... leave original stories alone and come up with your own ideas...

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Let me try this again: There is NO REASON for Ramirez and the Kurgan to have been lovers. They should not be "retconned" as lovers just because one of the characters is a woman.

Write a good story.

Write good characters with no reference to race/gender/etc.

Cast whoever fits the role best.

That would please me.

But if its for a REBOOT, then it must honor and respect the original. I don't mind interpretations but I'm against race/gender swaps for the sake of it. Make a new character if you don't want to use what is already established for a famous character.

Comment

I'd rather have the thought of you
                                    To hold against my heart,
                                    My spirit to be taught of you
                                    With west winds blowing,
                                    Than all the warm caresses
                                    Of another love's bestowing,
                                    Or all the glories of the world
                                    In which you had no part.

I'd rather have the theme of you
                                    To thread my nights and days,
                                    I'd rather have the dream of you
                                    With faint stars glowing,
                                    I'd rather have the want of you,
                                    The rich, elusive taunt of you
                                    Forever and forever and forever unconfessed
                                    Than claim the alien comfort
                                    Of any other's breast.

O lover! O my lover,
                                    That this should come to me!
                                    I'd rather have the hope of you,
                                    Ah, Love, I'd rather grope for you
                                    Within the great abyss
                                    Than claim another's kiss-
                                    Alone I'd rather go my way
                                    Throughout eternity.
                                    -----Angela Morgan

Comment

I was just thinking about the original topic. Aside from Xena and Wonder Woman, which were spin-offs of male protagonist stories, how many of you guys watch shows or movies with a female lead? My husband automatically assumes that any story with a female protagonist will be an unpalatable soap opera and won't even sample them. That would be enough to kill a female HL right there.
                                      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                                      Billy Sunday

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Probably because if they change the sex of one lead to a woman, then they will write stories where she is molested or raped, or sleeps with a male character who is a jerk.

• SouthernChickie
                                        SouthernChickie commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Buffy would be my first thought. Hugely popular after 20 years. Still a part of the mainstream pop culture world. Also, The Force Awakens, and Rogue One (which I suppose could be counted as spinoffs). Tomb Raider. La Femme Nakita. Jessica Jones. All popular female led titles that men and women alike watch/watched. I work at ThinkGeek and have men coming in for merchandise on female led titles- yes, for themselves- pretty dang often.

There are men who upset because they can't "relate" to the main character. But women have been watching movies and shows about men and "relating" to the main character since movies were invented. Hell, since books were invented.

I'm not attacking your husband, he is far from alone in his opinion, but it's a lazy excuse that someone won't watch something because they aren't the same sex as the protagonist. Frankly, it's ignorant. If you're not interested in based off the trailers, summary, or actors involved that's totally cool. But to dismiss anything that's not starring a man because reasons is dumb.

My dad said the same thing when I mentioned how good Wonder Woman was. He go-to example of content for women was a soap opera. I called his ass on it. My husband whines about how XYZ popular show doesn't appeal to him and I remind him that the show isn't made with him in mind. Men are not the only demographic out there. They are the default one a lot of the time so when a movie/show is aimed at women and men (instead of men and women) it's easy to feel like you're being overlooked. But you're not the center of the universe and seeing other people's prospective is a good thing, not a bad thing.

• Coolwater
                                        Coolwater commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Chickie, I agree with you. There was a study back in the '60s that showed that girls would read books with boys as protagonists, but boys would not read books with girls as protagonists, so, nope it isn't a new problem. The things is, my husband and other guys genuinely believe that hey are not interested based on the trailer. Wouldn't it be fun to make a trailer for an action movie using a fairly slender-hipped androgenous protagonist, and then use CGI to change the sex of the person to make two trailers?

They should be men on their home planet but should look like women on Earth. There. How's that?
                                      __________________________________________________

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                                      --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Working...
                                      X