Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you accept a gender-bending Highlander remake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could be right, Dubious; I'll ask my esteemed spouse if that's what he expects. Do writers produce nothing but clichés for female characters? Oh, but think of the potential plot twists that could result from molesting an angry medieval woman with a knowledge of blades! She wouldn't hesitate to take a "head" with a cigar cutter!

LOL! A man with an avatar of a man passing as a woman: you would think of that, Toots. ;p It would be awful!

Oh, and Toots, every time I see your sig, I am reminded that there was once a room with a machine that can cut off my head in this community. A Quaker who fought in the Civil War returned home and was accepted back in the fold. Even after a number of years he still suffered from awful PTSD and one day he left the farm and checked into a hotel and carried in a large beam, some planks and a clanking box of iron things. The next day they found him beheaded by an ingenious guillotine of his own design. The poor Friend is in the meeting house graveyard, but the device was carried off and buried in the woods by his family so that it wouldn't be stolen and displayed for money.
    “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
    Billy Sunday

Comment

When an actual person with PTSD can do that, it makes you wonder how we're supposed to buy the notion that the immortals didn't all do themselves in after a few centuries of war and tragedy...

But I will defend my premise. Connie MacLeod will learn that hir previous sexist behavior on Zeist was deplorable, even as s/he faces off the evil woman-turned-immortal-man whom s/he once called "sister," now known as Dudebro MacLeod. It will be a hit, I tell ya! A hit!
      Last edited by Tootsie Bee; 06-24-2017, 09:54 AM.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
      --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
        When an actual person with PTSD can do that, it makes you wonder how we're supposed to buy the notion that the immortals didn't all do themselves in after a few centuries of war and tragedy...!
        My thoughts exactly. The franchise did consider emotionally broken immortals, but unallayed misery is hard to watch, so I can't imagine TPTB going with that theme too often. Still, immortals are different from regular folks. Perhaps they are more resilient or just more sanguine?

B
        ut I will defend my premise. Connie MacLeod will learn that hir previous sexist behavior on Zeist was deplorable, even as s/he faces off the evil woman-turned-immortal-man whom s/he once called "sister," now known as Dudebro MacLeod. It will be a hit, I tell ya! A hit!
        I was shaking my head until I remembered Switch, Blake Edwards, starring Ellen Barkin. Add swords, and hey, presto! The Hilandress!
        Billy Sunday

Comment

Switch already features ol' Jacob Kell himself as the devil. It's not a huge leap!

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post

My thoughts exactly. The franchise did consider emotionally broken immortals, but unallayed misery is hard to watch, so I can't imagine TPTB going with that theme too often. Still, immortals are different from regular folks. Perhaps they are more resilient or just more sanguine?
            I can have a whole discussion about the 2004 BSG showrunner choices for Starbuck. Heck, just in the beginning.

Comment

Switch already features ol' Jacob Kell himself as the devil. It's not a huge leap!
              Good, grief, it is!!! I wasn't an HL fan when I saw Switch, so that didn't register. Two points, for you.

Dubious, what do you mean, please?

Billy Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                Dubious, what do you mean, please?
                Here is Starbuck! (But that's just her callname. Her real name is Kara Thrace, because reasons) Kara is AWESOME! (this is true) She's strong, funny, wickedly mischievous, best pilot, etc etc. Fights the drunken sot who is her CO and is kind of like a daughter to Commander Adama. ....

Because she was the fiance of his other son, Zak. Zak is dead. Why is Zak dead? Because, apparently, his lover falsified his scores so that he could become a pilot, whereupon he promptly died in a flying accident.

Kara breaks this information to the Adama men in the first season, because writers want to add tension and show that she had depth because she has a guilty conscience for effectively murdering Zak.

Over the course of the series, Kara has sex with Baltar. Kara gets locked up in an underground apartment and mind-f***ery went on, I'm almost sure not rape but it was close enough. Kara's mother had abused her horribly when she was a child. Kara falls into such despair that she pretty much lets herself die. She is restored in a kind of euphoria to lead them to Earth. Don't-Call-It-God sends a messenger to her wearing Leoben's face, because the writers have decided she's liable to listen to the man who imprisoned and mindf***ed her. We find out that Kara and Lee almost got it on while Zak was passed out on the couch once. But that's okay, they become lovers briefly. For a night. And Kara promptly married Anders, leaving Lee with his head whirling. Anders, who is a real sweetheart and ignores her affairs which it is implied she frequently has because reasons, and loves her anyway... Oh. And at the end of the series, having fulfilled her purpose, she disappears.

And then there's the Cylon Threes. The tough ones, the smart ones, the independent ones. The ones who are wiped out because reasons.

Comment

Starbuck was my favorite character.
                  Billy Sunday

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                    dubiousbystander commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And deserves to be. My frustration is with the things they wrote for her character because she's a woman.

Yeah, the ending never made sense to me. Did you have the same reaction to that stupid movie about the terrorist that ran around in the ugly mask and imprisoned the heroine to show her how bad the government was?
                  Billy Sunday

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                    dubiousbystander commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have not seen that movie. It sounds like V for Vendetta...

• Coolwater
                    Coolwater commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's the one. Even the title makes no sense.

I remember there being a similar topic on the old message board, but it also involved chaning the race of the lead character too. There was quite a debate about whether or not you could have a black Scotsman from the Middle Ages. Personally, I'm against gender-bending and race-bending simply for the sake of doing those things, because then it makes the movie feel to preachy and political. That's fine for movies that are intended from the start to be like that, but Highlander is not one of those movies.

That being said, I have no problem with female leading characters, and if the writers decide to do that because they feel that type of character is best for the story they want to tell, then awesome. But if they decide to do that in some misguided effort to appease some feminist crybabies whining about no female leads, then it probably won't be a very good story. I am definitely against taking the original characters and just swapping their genders, but I agree with everyone who said a female lead is fine with all new characters and new story.

Comment

How is being a woman or a person of color political? Highlander would be essentially the same movie if it were about Sunda Kastagir instead of Connor MacLeod, and Highlander: The Raven wasn't any more political than Highlander: The Series.

Comment

• Rabid Rooster
                      Rabid Rooster commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's not political when the character is a woman or person of color, but when the movie is about the character being a woman or person of color. Sorry, I'm not the most eloquent person so I may not be doing the best job of conveying my point.
                  Working...
                  X