Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on the remake (1/18/19)

http://collider.com/highlander-reboo..._medium=social

“We’re well past the script phase in terms of what we want to accomplish with a feature-length version of what we want and based on there being more after that. We want to tell the complete story of The Quickening, the Immortals, and all that. But the overall environment is changing so much. Look what Netflix is doing with TV now. As an action designer myself, there are two or three episodes of Game of Thrones that blow away 90% of features. Netflix has a whole new delivery system with features on that coming off differently and letting filmmakers and directors expand out without being crushed by opening weekend box office. So there’s a couple different mediums we want to explore and what is the best way to bring this out in.”

I'm sure he means "The Game" and not "The Quickening." But yeah... sounds like it may not even be a movie at all anymore, but a TV show? Could be the funding for the film through Lion's Gate wasn't there, so maybe shopping it around as a TV show (ala Netflix or something) may be an alternative way to get funding.
    Highlander: Dark Places

I think it would be better as a tv series on Hulu, Netflix or Prime so they can tell a more detailed story.

Comment

I'm wary, as streaming service-produced series can be a hit or a total miss. Sure, Netflix has done a good job with their original material (Stranger Things) and also with adaptations like Umbrella Academy and Stephen King's Gerald's Game... but the plot on these are more contained and concise in nature. Even in those examples I believe they made some changes to some core elements of the story structure in order to please a wider, younger crowd. Adapting long form narratives (stuff like Death Note, American Gods, and to a lesser extent even Castle Rock, 11/22/63 and Game of Thrones) is not the strong suit of miniseries. A lot of the more complex and subtle details of character development and lore will probably get glossed over, if not ignored. Highlander as an intellectual propriety depends a lot on these little background details, and I fear it will suffer if they try too hard to pander to a millennial-taste oriented crowd and can alienate and be misunderstood by older fans if it does not take its proper time to properly deliver exposition.
      Last edited by Lokuzt; 04-01-2019, 04:10 PM. Reason: (Edit reason: fixed some grammar and posted it before finishing my initial thought)

Comment

Working...
      X