Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part of the same Highlander universe? Something else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aleander View Post
    Yeah, except what does the story add to the Series-verse? What's the point of it existing? Just a pointless side-story that might occur in a possible future? By that standard, it might as well stand on its own. I could understand the need to be all-inclusive, but since this is a franchise that exemplifies in non-inclusiveness, its bewildering that this would be the case here.
    If the criteria for it being part of the expanded universe canon, many could ask that of many individual episodes of the TV show, or the audio plays, or otherwise. The general rule of thumb with this sort of thing is "It works unless it conflicts with a project that post-dates it." As is, it seems to... work.
    Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

But what does it add to the story? Or the characters? How is it improved or deepened by its relation to the show and its peripherals? By the same token, it could act as a prequel to TAS, taking place just a little bit before the Great Catastrophe, wherein Colin dies, obviously.

Comment

The only real argument in its favor is Abramowitz's involvement. It doesn't have Duncan, nor does it have anyone introduced in the Series. There's nothing to stop you from watching it alongside the TV show canon, but it's not actually a part of that canon.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
        --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
          The only real argument in its favor is Abramowitz's involvement.
          What exactly are the arguments against it?
          Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

1. It's not centered on Duncan MacLeod or any of his close friends. It doesn't even mention Connor, for that matter.
            2. It doesn't build off of anything from the TV series (e.g. no Watchers). It resembles the first 3 movies more than it does the show.
            3. It has YET ANOTHER MacLeod, and this one has apparently never met any of the other characters we know from other timelines.

At best, it's loosely compatible with the TV show continuity, but it's not actually a part of it.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
            --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Then why are there Quickenings? The show definitely goes with the: we get the power, we get increased skills, etc. etc. Things like dark Quickenings or light Quickenings were written As flukes. In shadow of obsession, the change was because of the sheer power, and the holiness of the man r.e. psychic gifts.

Coltec also had psychic gifts aka magic, and had absorbed Duncan's rage, which he got back when he took Coltec's head. Maybe there doesn't have to be "only one". But it certainly seems like they are meant to pool their power. Of course, I keep saying that the animated series' idea was actually a very good way out of that trap.

Comment

I think it's an inventive reboot

Different Macleod

Mentor is a ghost

Comment

Working...
                X