Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was a better love interest for Duncan, Kate Devaney/Faith or Anna Teshemka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was a better love interest for Duncan, Kate Devaney/Faith or Anna Teshemka?

Kate Devaney/"Faith"/"Fishlips"

... or Anna Teshemka?

Kate/Faith
    75.00%
    Anna
    25.00%
    Highlander: Dark Places

I think Kate's history with him makes her more interesting, but considering how The Source played out, it would seem like Anna is vastly more important. Still, we get more emotional background with Kate, so I'll say she was better, if only because the writing was better.

Comment

I like Anna better, though there were some problems. She falls utterly in love with Duncan. Marries him knowing he can never sire her children. Start getting visions, apparently sent by the Source, that argue the issue. Leaves him because he's not about to go haring off on some ridiculous quest in a world as badly deteriorated at this one.

Starts making her way around (bad writing) pretty much doing nothing but perhaps trying to get her compass working, which it finally does when they start heading for the Source. They were implying that she was a reincarnation of the Immortal woman in the previous batch of Source-hunters.

Here's Kate's writing: Falls in love with Duncan. Marries him. Sees him put a knife in her heart. To her: survives it and flees the murderous monster Blackbeard she'd married. For reasons, can't return to family, so ends up in a whorehouse, where Kell finds her as he trails Connor.

Spends her life designing clothes, being helpless, possibly being convinced that if Duncan hadn't set off her immortality, she might have had children. Or perhaps only the hope of them. Is too emotionally brutalized to bond with Kell. Forms some vague bond with Jin Ke, who despises Duncan on her behalf. Is too emotionally damaged to even THINK things like "NO KELL, MURDERING MORTALS JUST BECAUSE THEY GET ALONG WITH CONNOR MACLEOD IS NOT A GOOD THING!"
      Last edited by dubiousbystander; 12-21-2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Jeez, those are the only two options? Where's the none of the above button?

Comment

I think everyone is a dud after Tessa. She was the love of his life.

Endgame, I thought was an okay film, but I thought the love story was really poorly retconned in. If they wanted Duncan to have a backstory with an Immortal wife, why couldn't they have retconned it to be Amanda, or at least a female Immortal we already knew? Lisa Barbuscia is not a bad actress, but Kate has hardly any backstory given her in this film besides, "Duncan and I were in love and got married, then he gave me my first death without asking." What's her character arc, that she held a grudge for 400 years and finally drops it? We don't even see any flashbacks with her and other Immortals after the flashback where Duncan stabs her. It would have done a lot for her as a character if they had a scene where she meets Duncan, say, 100 years after he awakened her; maybe she attacks him, having found a trainer and become very proficient with her sword. But I digress.

I attempted to watch The Source. Hated it. Couldn't even make it to the midway point. From what I did watch, it seemed like the whole story came out of nowhere, with Anna tacked on as part of that story. It was therefore impossible for me to connect with her character.

Last edited by macleodhighlander; 12-22-2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
            dubiousbystander commented
            Editing a comment
            I understand, but Anna is still much better than Kate!

Originally posted by macleodhighlander View Post
          I think everyone is a dud after Tessa. She was the love of his life.
          Sort of. Though from his long history, Duncan fell in love often. Tessa was the love of his life because, as far as I could tell, she's the only one he got more than a few years with.

Comment

If anyone, I'd think Debra was as close as he ever got to a love of his life. She was the one he loved before he died, and thus everyone after her was likely held to her, if even just subconsciously.

Comment

Considering I've purged most of my memory of The Source, I'll say Kate, but I agree with macleodhighlander that Tessa was his greatest love. Perhaps in some cruel, cosmic way, that's why she was killed. Duncan was so in love with her, she would've been another Heather MacLeod, or worse. Perhaps it was better (for Duncan's sake) to lose her sooner rather than later, lest he suffer more, although her life was obviously taken far too soon.

Also, I might be in the minority, but I was a big fan of Duncan and Rachel MacLeod's romance. I wish the writers had developed that one more, they made a very cute couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter Celt View Post
                Considering I've purged most of my memory of The Source, I'll say Kate,
                Also, I might be in the minority, but I was a big fan of Duncan and Rachel MacLeod's romance.
                I get you, but nothing will make me think Kate, partly because they had little time to spend on showing what made her appealing to him before he stabbed her in the heart.

Now, on Rachel, that may indeed have had potential. Except she was too much of a doormat. The only thing that kept her from being worse was that they'd already written into her character a definite desire to live in the land of her birth.
                Last edited by dubiousbystander; 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
                  Now, on Rachel, that may indeed have had potential. Except she was too much of a doormat. The only thing that kept her from being worse was that they'd already written into her character a definite desire to live in the land of her birth.
                  Hmm, I never saw her as a doormat. On the contrary, she seemed like a very strong alpha female -- a total bitch when we first saw her in Homeland -- but Duncan gradually melts away her iciness, which is what I like about their relationship; they seem to compliment each other. Perhaps in Promises, after she got close and "surrendered" to Duncan, she was more of a doormat, but given her behaviour in Homeland, I think we can say she had a will of her own. Unfortunately we just didn't get a lot of episodes with Rachel to see things play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter Celt View Post
                    Perhaps in Promises, after she got close and "surrendered" to Duncan, she was more of a doormat, but given her behaviour in Homeland, I think we can say she had a will of her own. Unfortunately we just didn't get a lot of episodes with Rachel to see things play out.
                    Yes. While she's a one-off, she can be strong and abrasive. But by the writing of the time, for her to be a continuing character interacting (especially as a lover) with Duncan, they turned her into a doormat. To live with Duncan, she had to leave her whole life behind.

Comment

It is because we are in "the Source" section but, for the record ... I would say Kate/Faith ...
                      Like it was said previously, Tessa is also, for me, the TRUE Love of Duncan ...
                      Ok, yes, Duncan had lots of good women but in the end, the One I think for him is, and will stay Tessa Noël ...
                      La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                        dubiousbystander commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I disagree. With the way they wrote the series, Tessa was really just the one he had for the longest time. Anna would have to be it for the movies. Kate certainly wasn't.

Yes ... why not ... I see what you mean but Tessa has a special place in my heart (during the series for sure).
                      La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Working...
                      X