Russian Cut vs. U.S. Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Cut vs. U.S. Cut

Two major versions of this film exist (along with some other releases with minor differences). Which one do you prefer? The original "unfinished" cut that saw a release in Russia? The "corrected" version that appeared straight-to-DVD in the United States? One of the other releases that appeared in between them?

For me, it's the Russian cut. It has some clumsy editing choices at the beginning, specifically during the fight between the Guardian and Zai, but overall, the untrimmed versions of numerous scenes play much better than they do in their truncated American iteration. The U.S. cut also explicitly invalidates the Game, whereas the original release merely teases the possibility that it's all a lie without committing to the idea. Both versions are bad, and the Russian version contains material that's not missed, but in the end, the tiny additional character moments add up to a better viewing experience. It's sorta like comparing the theatrical and home video versions of Endgame: the main problems are all still there, but it goes down a little easier when it's given room to breathe.
    Russian Cut
    100.00%
    U.S. Cut
    0%
    Other Cut (Dutch Cut, TV Cut, etc.)
    0%

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

I didn't know there were other cuts besides the US and Russian cuts. I mean, isn't the TV cut just the US cut with the F-words muted, a la every other SyFy "original"? And what's the Dutch cut? I haven't even heard of that one.

Anyway, the only version I ever watch is my copy of the German BD, which is the Russian cut, so that's my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Takk View Post
      I mean, isn't the TV cut just the US cut with the F-words muted, a la every other SyFy "original"?
      Yeah, but aren't you the guy who prefers the PG-13 version of The Final Dimension?

And what's the Dutch cut? I haven't even heard of that one.
      It's nearly identical to the U.S. cut. I'm not sure of any notable differences, but it came out before the SyFy premiere.
      Last edited by Tootsie Bee; 06-30-2017, 07:00 AM.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
        Yeah, but aren't you the guy who prefers the PG-13 version of The Final Dimension?
        Yeah, but I'm not a fan of sex scenes, so cutting out one while cutting the two others in half is a big factor of that. I think sex scenes are usually unnecessary, as the same narrative effect can be drawn from most of them simply by implying the activity, but only showing the before or after moments.

Comment

See? You're exactly who I had in mind when I made Option 3.

Comment

The Russian cut -- it's superior in nearly every single way to the U.S. version, though I've always liked Thekla Reuten's opening voiceover in the Syfy cut.

On the whole, though, if I absolutely had to choose one version or the other...the Russian cut, no question.

Comment

The Russian Cut. But its like the old joke - the turd I had made yesterday that looked better than the turd I had today.

At the very least, Joe's death is given some due, whereas the US/Syfy cut implies that Duncan just shrugged Joe for not being his father (an editing flaw, no doubt).

Comment

"You're my...best friend."

"You're not my friend, Joe."

Great job, U.S. cut. That line only works with the following one, "You're the father who never kicked me out."

I'd hold that the U.S. cut was kind to remove some of the Guardian's antics, but in the process, they kinda lost the implication that the curse had literally driven the guy insane. It's the difference between Edward Nigma and Ace Ventura: they're both an overacting Jim Carrey in the end, but one of them has context.
                Last edited by Tootsie Bee; 07-02-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

OK, so I have never seen the Russian version. What is the difference?
                "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Too many to list. Most scenes are at least a fraction longer. The Guardian has far more dialogue. Reggie is more proactive. The opening narration comes from Methos, not Anna. The ending features no narration whatsoever, and Duncan says of their child, "He is the one." The effects are occasionally unfinished.

Comment

The first 20 minutes or so is rearranged and more detailed, leading to a better narrative pace that continues through the first half of the movie, or so... the back half is still a mess, though.

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
                      Tootsie Bee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There really is no saving the movie after the "Princes of the Universe" cover plays. But at least the Game isn't a lie in the Russian cut.

"Russian cut," I guess. There's good elements in the US cut, though... Papyrus power point presentation aside, I didn't really mind the opening and closing narration from Anna. Also that "straight tooooo the Source!!" song isn't really bad.
                    Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

I hate Anna's narrations, particularly for the ending. So, the Prize was a Star Child? A very Kubrick/Clarke fuck you!

Comment

Oh, Al, I think it's safe to say that you hate more about this franchise than you like, so it's never surprising to hear that you hate something in a Highlander movie that isn't the original. That being said, I also hate Anna's narration, so it must be really bad. Granted, I may only hate it so much because I like Methos's, but still.

Comment

The Source hates the Highlander franchise more than Al ever could.

Comment

I love that this is being said about me rather than the Bee, btw. Hilarious.

Comment

Bleah. Bleah and Ptooie to both of them. When Duncan stalks through the stadium, Adrtian Paul walks past his own dog. The dog greets him, but AP walks past without acknowledging him. The expression on the dog's face was reflected on my own. How could they treat loyal fans (and the rest of the world) so badly?
                              “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                              Billy Sunday

Comment

Now I really want to see the Russian version.

Comment

I definitely prefer the Russian cut as that is what I saw first.
                                  The trailer for it was what got me all hyped and excited to finally see the movie was made and done.
                                  The first 15 to 20 minutes are still enjoyable for me. It felt like a darker take on Highlander. The villain was quite different in that he was really really old, he had powers, and he was a bit insane in the head. Nothing original but it was something different to see on screen.
                                  I still think the film would have been more entertaining had Christopher Lambert been in it. I think this movie could have been more like his Beowulf movie. A bit like Mortal Kombat in style but with the Highlander elements mixed in. It wouldn't have been a great film but it would have been a fun watch.

Once every few years, i'll pop in that Russian DVD and give it a watch. As always the first half of the movie really gets me immersed in whats going on, but that second half just goes downhill so fast.
                                  Power to the Donut!

Comment

Is the TV cut different from the DVD that you can buy off of Amazon?

Is the one on Amazon the US or Russian cut? (I believe it's 88 min)?

If so, where can I get the Russian cut? Is it for sell? I'm looking to get every type of copy both physical and digital. I have most of them, I just want to have physical for archival and digital to watch and take screenshots of to post on my Twitter and Facebook feeds as I do rewatches.
                                    Last edited by MichaelHenry; 10-02-2019, 10:24 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Donut View Post
                                      Once every few years, i'll pop in that Russian DVD and give it a watch. As always the first half of the movie really gets me immersed in whats going on, but that second half just goes downhill so fast.
                                      Right around that "Princes of the Universe" montage... nosedive.

Comment

The montage is kinda stupid but I did like the "Princes of the Universe" updated version. I understood the why however if they wanted to update PotU, they should have did that as the opening of the movie. Highlander is about "Princes of the Universe".

Comment

There was no reason to even have a montage there and then.

Comment

Just reread this thread. It's nice to see this particular set of the bb reunited.
                                            “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                                            Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
                                            X