The Original Script/Who's To Blame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Original Script/Who's To Blame?

So apparently David Abramowitz and Adrian Paul were upset at chances to the script, but was the original script still set in a post-apocalyptic world and was it still about the Source? Because to me that's half the problem right there. Regardless, who exactly changed the script? I have to imagine that it was the producers, by then why did they act as if the end result wasn't their fault? Was it the studio?

I'd be grateful for any information.
    Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

The setting, in the finished film at least, is so barely post-apocalyptic that it hardly seems to count. I mean, the apocalypse turned out bad for Eastern Europe, but the main trio searching for the Source--Reggie, Giovanni, and Methos--all seem to be living comfortably at the beginning of the film. The world of the future clearly has pretty good WiFi going for it, even at mountaintop monasteries and Night of the Living Dead-esque houses in the woods.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
    --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Well, the rich were fine and the poor were screwed...?

Comment

• Tootsie Bee
        Tootsie Bee commented
        Editing a comment
        Still sounds like the present to me!

• dubiousbystander
        dubiousbystander commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn't it just?

Anyway, Lionsgate is to blame. They wanted something more akin to a horror film, so they had the script rewritten.

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."

Comment

• Aleander
        Aleander commented
        Editing a comment
        And yet, that still doesn't explain the Guardian singing "Who Wants to Live Forever" in that scene. Or the fact that the entire film seems barely horror-like, aside from the Cannibals aspect of it.

Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
      Anyway, Lionsgate is to blame. They wanted something more akin to a horror film, so they had the script rewritten.
      Huh... I think it pretty much failed at being a horror film.

Comment

We could easily create a thread entitled "The Source pretty much failed at..."

The answer, to borrow a line from the Guardian: "Everything." (pouty face)

Comment

I understand that actors and directors sign contracts to do a film knowing that there are likely to be rewrites as the director jiggers the script to make it more compatible with his/her "vision" of the film. What I do not understand is how a producer can sign actors using one script and then substituting a completely different one. That's bait and switch: why isn't that grounds for breach of contract?
        “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
        Billy Sunday

Comment

After watching the film my thoughts were: WTF.

Comment

Working...
          X