"Fasil, wait."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fasil, wait."

Not a single thread here in the forum for the film that started it all so I might as well get the ball rolling.

During the opening fight, when Fasil challenges MacLeod, Connor hesitates and says, "Fasil, wait."

Why do you suppose he said that? What is your interpretation of that brief moment?

That has always bugged me. All these years later and I still don't know why he said that?
    It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

If we bring the series into it, it might make sense. "We don't NEED to fight, Fasil!" etc..
      Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        If we bring the series into it, it might make sense. "We don't NEED to fight, Fasil!" etc..
        I think this is the most likely answer even without the series. If you're introducing your protagonist and want the audience to have sympathy with him it might be an idea to have him be reluctant to fight and ultimately cut someone's head off. I think the fact that he says "alright" after Fasil attacks confirms this, though I think that Lambert's inflection in the word was wrong. The way he says it, it makes it sounds like Connor is saying "alright, I'm ready", when I think the intent was "alright then, if that's how you want it". This is just my own interpretation, but it's not a stretch to imagine that Lambert just said the "alright" line wrong since not only wasn't he great with English at the time, his character is meant to sound weird anyway.
        Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

There were the lost scenes where they had Connor, Kastagir and Fasil all together watching the wrestling match. I think that if they had shown that scene first before the duel in the garage...it would have show that Connor was reluctant to fight a friend.

Comment

• Aleander
            Aleander commented
            Editing a comment
            That scene is the one I most wanted to have seen restore. So sad that it wasn't.

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
          There were the lost scenes where they had Connor, Kastagir and Fasil all together watching the wrestling match. I think that if they had shown that scene first before the duel in the garage...it would have show that Connor was reluctant to fight a friend.
          I had no idea about such scenes. If that's the case then I'm convinced of what Andrew and I said. Anyone here read the novelisation? That might shed some light on things, though I know that it deviated from the film and expanded on it a lot.
          Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

The producers released some production stills from the lost scenes as special promo cards for the CCG card game. The interview given by Bill Panzer about them said that some of the footage was destroyed and the photos were all they had left. I would have reshot the scenes at a later date to have the option in editing. Also lost was the fight with Kurgan and Yong Dol Kim that was mentioned in the news reports.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
              dubiousbystander commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh I would love to see those pictures!

• Nicholas Ward
              Nicholas Ward commented
              Editing a comment
              @dubiousbystander

http://imgur.com/oKBgFM1 for the fight between The Kurgan and Yung Dol Kim

• dubiousbystander
              Editing a comment
              Nicholas Ward Thank you! However, I am well aware of this because I saw your posts on Facebook! The "Connor, Kastagir, and Fasil at the wrestling match" are the pics I want to see because I haven't.

He wanted time to get his sword.
            "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Originally posted by David McMurdo View Post

I think this is the most likely answer even without the series. If you're introducing your protagonist and want the audience to have sympathy with him it might be an idea to have him be reluctant to fight and ultimately cut someone's head off.
              Because whether or not the Gathering is actually happening, Connor is not actively making himself a part of it. He didn't get drawn to a faraway land to participate in it... he just happens to already live there, in New York. He didn't go after Fasil's head, Fasil came after his. He wasn't hunting the Kurgan down, the Kurgan chased him down. And it wasn't like Connor was going to ever challenge Kastagir to a decapitation fight.
              Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                Editing a comment
                Valid points all. Thanks Andrew!

• Aleander
                Aleander commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. He was playing the Game, but he wasn't a headhunter. He fought Fasil even, but not because he wanted to, otherwise he wouldn't caution him to "wait."

It might have been simply...
              "Look, you wanna go somewhere and have it out where we won't be seen, that's fine, i'll drive....But this isn't a good place for us to do this. there's too big a chance we'll be seen! we should wait until we're sure we won't be interrupted"

Comment

He hadn't had dinner yet. He told him to wait because he wanted a good, clean BigMac to eat first.

Comment

He said wait because he wanted to give him the to opportunity to cut off his own head!

Comment

If you read the behind-the-scenes producers' screenplay memos that are included with the 10th Anniversary Laserdisc edition, there's a huge back-and-forth between them and screenwriter Larry Ferguson during the rewrite/polishing-process, where Ferguson argues passionately for the inclusion of the "Fasil...wait"-line, and the producers counterargue for its dropping, but Ferguson then writes back that without that line, Connor simply appears as bloodthirsty and unsympathetic as Fasil -- essentially, that one line of dialogue crucially communicates volumes to the audience regarding MacLeod's reluctance to engage in combat, and his desire to talk things out first before resorting to violence.
                    Last edited by Leto II; 06-27-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

Where can I see those pictures of Connor, Fasil and Kastagir together ?
                        IMO : Connor hasn't seen Fasil in a logn time, and he must have looked quite different centuries ago, more relaxed and happy than the intense-looking, somber Immortal presented by Peter Hudson. MacLeod takes a few seconds to observe the man dressed in black garbs, thinking 'I can't belive I am looking at him'. Maybe he expected him to have died centuries ago.
                        He clearly doesn't want to fight him. But Fasil has changed too much, has seen too many battles, is driven to fight to the end. When MacLeod says "all right", he agrees to do what must be done. And when Fasil gives him no choice durign the battle, Connor kills him. Before the sword slices his neck, Fasil looks relieved. "It is over at last".

Comment

Connor, Fasil and Kastigar together? Really? Never heard of that. I know there was a lost scene where Connor, Kasitgar and Detective Bedsoe go to a nightclub and getting sozzled, but nowhere have I read about a lost scene involved Fasil.

As for the 'Fasil, wait' line. I've always intrepreted that as Connor's way of saying 'Hey, we were buddies once, we don't have to do this'. I think for a moment Connor was a little shocked when Fasil attacked him, maybe they were friends before they reunited in the car park in 1985. Connor follows 'Fasil, wait' with 'Alright!' - Connor's quickly accustomed to the fact that Fasil has made his choice and only one is going to survive the fight. I think Connor was quick to learn that things were now serious and it was a 'kill or be killed' scenario.

Fasil's motive was to kill Connor before the Kurgan did, I think. Fasil wasn't a bad guy, he just wanted what they all did....The Prize. He'd come so far and had no choice.

Friends, enemies, mutual combatants....call Connor and Fasil's relationship what you will. I just think Fasil was cool with the notion that he had to fight the next immortal he came across, whether it was Kurgan, Kastigar, Yung Dol Kim, Vasilek or MacLeod. The Gathering was upon them all, friendship and trust between immortals was no longer an option.

....ever noticed how Connor hesitates ever so slightly before delivering the coup de grâce to Fasil?
                          Last edited by Dragon Katana; 09-18-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Unholly Alliance ... =O
                            La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Why do you suppose he said that? What is your interpretation of that brief moment?
                              Regards
                              Last edited by dubiousbystander; 07-01-2020, 02:39 AM. Reason: This is probably a spammer. They hid links at the end of their message, by blacking out the letters. Pretty annoyed about it.

Comment

When I think about the relation between the last immortals ... the last contenders are "friends" ... so, why they should finish the game? the gathering was here, ok, but do they need to finish it with only one survivor? ... the Kurgan is the exception, of course.
                                La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Great question, n107. I've always thought of the 'Fasil, wait' line as Connor's way of showing some reluctance towards whatever they (Connor/Fasil) were about to engage in. Maybe they were friends before the Gathering or maybe they had some sort of mutual understanding at the very least. Fasil probably didn't want to kill Connor but ultimately, it was the time of the Gathering and if they laid down their swords and talked it over then they'd only be delaying the inevitable....

Comment

Originally posted by Kladdagh View Post
                                    When I think about the relation between the last immortals ... the last contenders are "friends" ... so, why they should finish the game? the gathering was here, ok, but do they need to finish it with only one survivor? ... the Kurgan is the exception, of course.
                                    Well, the movie's catch phrase is "In the end, there can be only one." That suggests that somebody thinks The Game must have one winner. Who that is, is anyone's guess though.

Also, Ramirez did say that at the time of The Gathering all remaining Immortals would feel an irresistible pull to a far-away land to do battle for The Prize. That could mean that as much as Connor wanted to avoid killing, ultimately he, like the others, would be driven to win The Game by something that was greater than him.

Comment

Working...
                                    X