what do you think of the 30th Anniversary Bluray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you think of the 30th Anniversary Bluray

I've had various discussions over the picture quality. Some prefer the look of the previous release.
    The new interviews were great to watch.
    I personally think it looks very good despite the compression issues.
    Power to the Donut!

Originally posted by Donut View Post
    I've had various discussions over the picture quality. Some prefer the look of the previous release.
    The new interviews were great to watch.
    I personally think it looks very good despite the compression issues.
    I had no problem with it at all. I don't remember, did they remove the Buzz sound effects that were there in previous DVD releases?
    Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

I had no problem with it at all. I don't remember, did they remove the Buzz sound effects that were there in previous DVD releases?
      yes, and in all honesty, I prefer it without them, but that's just my personal preference. in addition there are sounds that were in the Film before the 10th anniversary Edition, that I could seem to notice on any VHS or DVD of that particular cut of the movie, However when I got it the first Blu Ray release, the sounds were back, the image looked a bit to bright in that release, the 30th Anniversary Edition looks closer to what I remember seeing when I was a kid

Comment

I just watched the original theatrical cut for the first time. Before that I had only ever seen the Directors cut. It was still good but I prefer the directors cut and hope that the new 30th Anniversary version just adds to it.

Comment

I think there is a tiny bit more in the riding horses to battle scene than in the previous release. I love my copy.

Comment

Apart for it being a new scan I can't see anything attributing a new/different cut of the film, and there hasn't been any PR about that either. What we got is simply the international theatrical cut, no more, no less, without the obnoxious filtering that plagued the Immortal Edition. It was a shame about the compression though.

Comment

lI don't know whether that's the version I have. But I played it recently (for the first time) and thought the sound quality was very bad. If the necessarily noisy parts were played at a volume level that wouldn't be heard throughout the neighborhood, dialogue couldn't be heard at all. You should be able to watch something without constantly having to turn the volume up and down.

But...over the years, I'd come to assume that I'd liked that film. Looking at it again reminded me that I don't like anything about it!

Comment

Originally posted by backstagejack View Post
                I just watched the original theatrical cut for the first time. Before that I had only ever seen the Directors cut. It was still good but I prefer the directors cut and hope that the new 30th Anniversary version just adds to it.
                Since all the U.S. Theatrical Edition adds that the Director's Cut doesn't contain is that super-quick, maybe-10-second-long scene with Detective Bedsoe spilling his coffee all over himself outside Brenda's apartment, I'm more than happy to simply watch the Director's Cut edition, since it renders the U.S. cut entirely superfluous (except maybe as a curiosity).

Originally posted by Wilusa View Post
                lI don't know whether that's the version I have. But I played it recently (for the first time) and thought the sound quality was very bad. If the necessarily noisy parts were played at a volume level that wouldn't be heard throughout the neighborhood, dialogue couldn't be heard at all. You should be able to watch something without constantly having to turn the volume up and down.
                Are you talking about that absolutely-crappy DVD edition that came out around 1998 (of the 10th Anniversary Laserdisc edition)? That disc was truly horribad, with stunningly-wretched sound quality, due to a f**k up in the mastering process. From what I remember, it wasn't until 2002's Immortal Edition that it finally got corrected.

Comment

Does it use the same transfer as the Mondo Steelbook Blu-Ray?

I have that release and IMO it looks pretty decent for a movie as old as Highlander that wasn't exactly shot on a massive budget with top-of-the-line equipment

Comment

Working...
                  X