Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ramirez have survived into the present day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Ramirez have survived into the present day?

I mean, had Ramirez not been killed by the Kurgan, would it have been neat or beneficial to have Ramirez show up again during the Gathering in the first film, in New York (even if it would still end with the Kurgan taking his head... just in the present instead of the past)?

Strictly talking about the first film. Yes, I know he came back via dubious methods in H2.
    Yes, he should've
    62.50%
    No, he shouldn't have
    25.00%
    Ramirez sucks
    12.50%
    Highlander: Dark Places

No he shouldn't have.

Teachers are supposed to be surpassed. It would serve no purpose to have them along for the ride.
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Well that's a tangle. It was such a good movie. Not sure how Connor could have suffered so much loss if Ramirez hadn't been one of them.

Comment

Strictly holding to the first film, Ramirez is a throw away character only noteworthy past the 'first teacher' aspect because he's played by Sean Connery. Take away the semi-sacrificial nature of his death, and his value decreases even more. So I guess I'm saying no, but because you specifically said to only consider the first film, I went with "Ramirez sucks." Honestly, I don't really feel that way, but literally every scene I like him in is from Highlander 2, so it seemed fair.

Comment

Takk, you are awesome! I think by series' standards he might have survived. In the series, there are many more Immortals. We had two older Immortals who knew that the men who had come for them were their betters and would defeat them, Hamza against Xavier, and Ashe against Clay. They knew it, and they intended to avoid their deaths by avoiding their enemies.

Comment

There is no drama without conflict. It's the sacrifices of Ramirez and Heather that starts up the conflict.
            “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
            Billy Sunday

Comment

If Ramirez had been lost in a cave in when the tower collapsed along with part of the mountain instead of losing his head at that time to Kurgan it might have added more to the character. Kurgan might have decided to leave him there for a future battle. When Connor returned he would have found Heather but being young would not realize that Ramirez could have survived under all the rocks. As time passes the changing geology and weather would have shifted the rocks enough for Ramirez to break free and revive in a new century. Then we could have the fun of seeing the teacher become the students as Connor teaches Ramirez about life in the modern age. It didn't have to be in the modern age but halfway between. Connor has another encounter with Kurgan but Ramirez is there and promises to challenge him if he takes Connor's head. Kurgan escapes to fight another day. The final fight between Ramirez and Kurgan happens just before Kurgan heads to New York where he has discovered Connor's new alias and location.
              The extra scenes through the years would add to the lifelong friendship and would have a greater impact on Connor than the short training session showed in the original film.

Comment

Of course ... He is an immortal after all ... He adapts ... That are my thoughts ...
                La Peur Tue l'Esprit ...

Comment

Working...
                X