Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What TV shows are you watching?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dragon Katana View Post
    I watched 'Shogun' (2024) recently. It was fantastic.
    I am a big fan of the original mini-series, which I have seen several times. I haven't watched the new series yet, but I'm glad to hear that it is really good. I will look forward to watching this sometime soon.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post

      I am a big fan of the original mini-series, which I have seen several times. I haven't watched the new series yet, but I'm glad to hear that it is really good. I will look forward to watching this sometime soon.
      Its great, Cyrus. It has Hiroyuki Sanada in it, so its always going to be a winner in my opinion.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
        I have been rewatching "Game of Thrones" recently and just finished up the series. For the most part, I love the show, but a few storylines really sucked in my opinion. The worst for me was in season 8 when Daenerys has Kings Landing at her mercy and the bell of surrender is tolling. Then, you see her eyes and facial expression suddenly change to a look of hatred and eminent destruction. She then proceeds to have Drogon burn the city down, killing thousands of unarmed civilians. I just didn't buy the sudden leap onto the Targaryen Crazy Train!
        The last season, especially the last few episodes, of Game of Thrones disappointed me so much it has killed my desire to ever rewatch the series. That's not something I ever expected to happen with how much I absolutely loved the first 4 seasons.

        Shogun was great. Not only was everything top quality, it's one of the few remakes that feels justified to be created while there is still a perfectly good original out there.

        I was also pleasantly surprised by X-Men '97. If you watched the old animated series from the 90s, this picks up right where it left off but comes back with some of the tightest and most enjoyable storytelling that the MCU has seen in years. It's a credit to the original run, the comics it's based on and the MCU. Extremely well done.

        I'm also finishing up the final season of Star Trek Discovery. Two more episodes to go in the season; the latest was just released but I haven't seen it yet. Discovery did a lot to revitalize Star Trek but it just comes up very short in quite a few areas. This season, too, is a bit meandering at times which makes it even more disappointing that it became the final year.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by n107 View Post

          The last season, especially the last few episodes, of Game of Thrones disappointed me so much it has killed my desire to ever rewatch the series. That's not something I ever expected to happen with how much I absolutely loved the first 4 seasons.

          Shogun was great. Not only was everything top quality, it's one of the few remakes that feels justified to be created while there is still a perfectly good original out there.

          I was also pleasantly surprised by X-Men '97. If you watched the old animated series from the 90s, this picks up right where it left off but comes back with some of the tightest and most enjoyable storytelling that the MCU has seen in years. It's a credit to the original run, the comics it's based on and the MCU. Extremely well done.

          I'm also finishing up the final season of Star Trek Discovery. Two more episodes to go in the season; the latest was just released but I haven't seen it yet. Discovery did a lot to revitalize Star Trek but it just comes up very short in quite a few areas. This season, too, is a bit meandering at times which makes it even more disappointing that it became the final year.
          Have you watched any of House of the Dragon? I thought season 1 was pretty good.

          Glad to see another recommendation for Shogun! Its definitely on my To Watch list.

          I have not seen the old animated X-Men series. I will look into that.

          I have not seen any of the final season of Discovery yet, but its also on my To Watch list.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post

            Have you watched any of House of the Dragon? I thought season 1 was pretty good.

            Glad to see another recommendation for Shogun! Its definitely on my To Watch list.

            I have not seen the old animated X-Men series. I will look into that.

            I have not seen any of the final season of Discovery yet, but its also on my To Watch list.
            No, I haven't seen House of the Dragon. As I said, the last season of GoT completely shattered any interest I had in that world. I have no motivation to check out the new series even though I'm sure it's good on its own merits.

            If you have never seen the old X-Men animated series, it might be a hard watch to get into 30 years later. It is very much a 90s kids' show. But the new 97 series takes it in a much more mature direction. I think you could still appreciate it but it truly respects the old while providing the new.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by n107 View Post

              If you have never seen the old X-Men animated series, it might be a hard watch to get into 30 years later. It is very much a 90s kids' show. But the new 97 series takes it in a much more mature direction. I think you could still appreciate it but it truly respects the old while providing the new.
              I got the first season of the old X-Men series from my public library. I have watched the first four episodes. The stories and dialog certainly aren't up to the level of the big screen Marvel movies, however, I am getting some entertainment out of them. Professor X's mind controlled anti-grav reclining chair maneuvering unit is pretty cool! Wolverine's costume looks like a ridiculous clown suit, but I like his dialog much better than most of the other characters. I wonder if any of the original child audience expanded their vocabulary from Beast's thesaurus laden exposition? I plan to keep watching. Thanks for the suggested viewing material.

              Comment


              • Just finished 'Douglas is Cancelled' - British 4 part drama/comedy all about Cancel Culture. Really good.

                Comment

                Working...
                X