This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

Oh yes, I know about the missing episodes. I first encountered Doctor Who on PBS in the 80s, so I really started with Tom Baker. Then I caught what of Peter's aired, and I suffered through some of Colin's. I keep thinking some episodes never got here. I loved Sylvester's, yet when I saw a list of episodes, I found there were some I just don't remember.
    Yeah, I used to stay up late on Saturday and watch it on PBS with my dad, but I only ever remember enjoying a handful of Fifth Doctor episodes back then. I generally only stayed up watching it and Red Dwarf because he let me stay up if I watched them with him. It wasn't until we sat down as a family to watch The Movie when it first aired on Fox that I found myself actually enjoying Doctor Who, and I really got into it. Or at least the EDA's, as it were, picking them up from the library whenever they would get one in (which was only maybe 10 or 12 of the 74 they made, sadly, but I didn't know that back then).

Even when the new show started, and my oldest brother started raving about it, I didn't care, because I just liked the Eighth Doctor, but he eventually broke me down and got me to watch Blink followed by the Master three parter from series three, and it got me hooked. So eventually I just decided to go back and watch everything I could, and like I said, I'm glad I did it, but I'll likely never do it again.

Surprisingly, I quite disliked the Fourth Doctor era. So many people love Tom Baker, but he's probably my least favorite of the whole bunch.

Comment

Black Mirror season 4!
      Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Originally posted by Takk View Post
        Surprisingly, I quite disliked the Fourth Doctor era. So many people love Tom Baker, but he's probably my least favorite of the whole bunch.
        That IS surprising for me. However, it's also understandable. I wonder if there was just too much of him back then. When I think about my favorite Doctor Who of the 21st century, there is "The Unquiet Dead", "Father's Day", "The Empty Child", "The Doctor Dances", "School Reunion", "Doomsday" (Daleks dissing Cybermen!), I really liked everything with Donna, and I was also really angry at how Martha was treated while she traveled with the Doctor. It was so nice to have Donna because she wasn't pining for him, nor was she being ill-treated by him. I liked "The Family of Blood", and while I did like Blink for the Angels, their further use was rather uneven for me. "The Doctor's Daughter" made me happy in so very many ways. We got Martha back without her being dissed. We got the Doctor a little confused as to how to deal with how she and Donna got on so well. And we got Jenny!! Who then never, ever, comes up in the series again though Big Finish has her back. "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead." Oh gosh, such a happy memory of first meeting River Song! ... Perhaps I should just start a Doctor Who thread. I really liked "The Next Doctor", and "The End of Time", but felt the other two specials were useless. Then came Matt Smith. I usually loved him, but was really annoyed at the way the writers couldn't seem to have an episode without someone (himself sometimes) commenting on how hot he was. "Vincent and the Doctor" was a favorite there, and "The Pandorica Opens". I thought "A Christmas Carol" was a useless story. Always like River Song, and felt "The Rebel Flesh" was good, but ooh I was pissed at the writers' decisions for Amy. "The Girl Who Waited" was actually a pretty grand episode for me. It felt useless in the grand scheme of things, but was good anyway. I did feel there were too many buildups which were deus ex machina solved, such as in "Let's Kill Hitler" and "The Wedding of River Song."
        "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" is one of my favorite specials.
        We did get teased about Clara a few times, but some of that was just annoying, such as "The Snowmen" reintroducing the GI, who is wiped out in "The Name of the Doctor" but ooh, I still want the story wherein the Doctor tells River Song his real name!! We don't have to hear it, I just want the story!
        "The Day of the Doctor" is also one of my favorite episodes. I'm kind of iffy on "The Time of the Doctor".
        I kind of liked "Deep Breath", except for the obligatory "I'm not flirting with you!" from the Doctor.
        I liked "Listen". Found "Time Heist" useless. Liked "Mummy on the Orient Express" though I feel it was a useless episode. "In the Forest of the Night" is on my list of ecological episodes. Was very annoyed by the ending of Danny Pink, largely because it left me with confusion about Listen. I'll continue another time. Hah.

Comment

Bones
          Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Just watched most of Glitched over the weekend. It's a Netflix original set in Australia. Very interesting but very slow to get started
            Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

Still watching Bones, but discovered we don`t have season 11...
              Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

• Takk
                Takk commented
                Editing a comment
                Hulu has all 12 seasons. If you don't already have it, you could start a free trial once you complete season 10 to finish up the show.

Just made it to season 2 of Lethal Weapon and it's really good. Re-watching Orphan Black with the oldest daughter

Comment

Decided to take a break from Doctor Who to catch up on other shows, and wound up watching The Musketeers. Great show for fans of Dumas' characters, even if it fails to follow any of his stories.

Comment

Watching the original Land of the Lost on Youtube. Sure the production is crap by modern standards but many story elements were ahead of their time

Comment

Just started watching 9-1-1 and am only on the 3rd episode but am already hooked.

Comment

Has anyone else been watching Lethal Weapon?

Comment

• Haplo
                        Haplo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm up to date on the show

I've watched Altered Carbon, which led to me reading the book, which led to reading the other two books.

The TV series is very interesting, but some of the more jarring aspects of it come from the fact that they did not meld their ideas drawn out of the hat very well with the majority of what they took directly from the book. "You know what? This needs some more angst. How's about, instead of the evil villain being someone he's loathed for ages, she'll be his baby sister whose perfidy he was blind to until he's hit in the face with it? How's about, instead of Quellcrist Falconer being someone before his time, she was his lover! (Looks like she's coming up in book 3, so I don't know what they've taken.) What would be a really cool is having a small society of people who are carriers of such deadly diseases, they can't touch another human without killing them very quickly!"

I like some of their choices for Lizzie, whose purpose in the book was only to motivate her mother. Her father had very little presence in the book. The story with her getting kicked by Miriam Bancroft until her baby died was lifted from another character's backstory, which explains why it was so clumsy. For one thing, Laurens had a thing for women with a superficial resemblance to his wife. TV-show-Lizzie was well out of that range. Carnage was book-accurate, so was Ortega (except for "You know what? We need more angst. Let's have her family slaughtered by the baddie!").

I'm almost sure Quellcrist is not secretly also the inventor of the stacks, but part of that storyline was quite aggravating. "I want to limit everyone to 100 years!" That is not what should be done. Then again, it's understandable, what with the current politics of U.S. that making resleeving people to appropriate new bodies is not the primary goal. Children who've been killed should be resleeved in young bodies, not worn out older people. Not no one, or limited, but available to everyone, for as long as they wish.

In the books, the poorer people can be resleeved after having gotten very, very old, but most people don't tolerate suffering through growing old and dying more than twice, because they remember the experience.

I'm really enjoying the books, after all. Now, the show ends with Kovacs on a mission to find the lost, hidden stack of Quellcrist Falconer. The writers are also likely to bring his sister back at their whim, probably an earlier, saved version of her. I suppose it's not horrible, but will they be able to weave that in less clumsily if they also stick with the story of Broken Angels?

Comment

Waiting for the final season of Game of Thrones and of Vikings. Currently, I am watching old western shows: Have Gun Will Travel and The High Chaparral.

Comment

Pretty decent pentultimate episode last night of "Walking Dead."
                          Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

We've started watching Siren and enjoy it

Comment

G and I are watching Buffy, next up: Angel

Comment

• Cyrus The Great
                                Cyrus The Great commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I am watching Buffy again too. Love that show!

Originally posted by Ceridwen View Post
                              Has anyone else been watching Lethal Weapon?
                              I have. I really liked the movies (well, I didn't like 4) so I thought I would give this a chance. I didn't give it much of a chance but I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I have enjoyed it.
                              "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

The Walking Dead
                                Lethal Weapon
                                The Blacklist
                                Survivor
                                Game of Thrones (waiting)
                                "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Just up to date on The Expanse, and started on Lost in Space. The first episode was rather exasperating in the sheer number of things it had happening. "This happens. Then this. And this which meant that, and now this, and additional complications." Hah!

Comment

Sometimes I amuse myself by watching 3rd Rock From The Sun. I have a playlist, and am going through the episodes in order. I watch it whenever I need cheering up, because they are quite funny. I googled French Stewart, and his twitter posts read very like Harry Solomon. He's recently been on NCIS, so I will seek out those episodes. It was also great to realize why Tommy seemed so familiar! He's played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt! Kristen Johnston, I hope she left that show with good experiences. Everyone put in great performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Slash View Post

I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I have enjoyed it.
                                      That's how I feel about it as well. There are funny little bits, (did anyone else think it was funny that the captain's name was Brooks Avery?) fairly watchable characterizations, and for some reason I'm utterly obsessed with Riggs' hair. He has very watchable hair.

Comment

Angel. Getting to the dreaded season four....you know, the season where Whedon lost his ever-lovin' mind...

Comment

Today I'm watching Atomic Train, because Anna Hagan (who played Mary MacLeod) is in it. As the Rewatchers did Homeland a couple of weeks ago, she's fresh in my mind! I'd never heard of it before. Mena Suvari, Esai Morales, Blu Mankuma... so many familiar faces. Especially as I'm seeing them from the period when I'd last seen them. I guess it looks good.

Comment

Watched the season finale to Lethal Weapon last night and was unhappy with the feel of it. Looked up it's status today and the show is in limbo, not sure if they're going to renew and if they do not at all sure Riggs will be back. IMO Big mistake, Riggs is 75% of the show. No reason to renew if he's not there. But entirely typical fate of any show I choose to watch.

Comment

• Haplo
                                              Haplo commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              From what I've heard, they've hired another actor to play Riggs since the fired the other one.

• Ceridwen
                                              Ceridwen commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Understand they've officially bumped off Riggs. There's another show I'll never watch again.

Highlander

Comment

Working...
                                            X