Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armageddon...the spelling of that looks wrong but Google never lies.
    Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Mechanic: Resurrection

Anything Jason Statham is fine with me, although his Arthur Bishop and Frank Martin are pretty much interchangeable. Don't care.
      WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

The Accountant with Ben Affleck. Very interesting and kind of twisty. Gonna watch it again.
        WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

John Wick 2. Don't bother. I thought it sucked.

Comment

• Draknoir2
            Draknoir2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Too late.

It was no John Wick 1.

A couple of the Babylon 5 movies...watching the series again in honour of Stephan Furst, may he RIP...
          Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

I just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane. Well, I watched some of it. It's thankfully possible to skip huge chunks without losing anything. Sort of sad, that.

Comment

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (major tear jerker)

Comment

The Forbidden Planet..

Comment

Journey to the Center of the Earth with James Mason and Pat Boone... and Dolph Lundgren for some reason.

Comment

Got kicked out of the house so the wife could have a pool party with her girlfriends. Picked the longest movie I could find to burn up the time - Valerian. Didn't so much burn time as slow it to a near halt. It was like a tween movie on Nickelodeon. The acting was awful and the only thing intimidating about the kids chosen to save the universe was the girl's eyebrows (seriously WTF is up with that?).

I enjoyed The Fifth Element but this thing was a $200M train wreck.

Comment

• Lady_CJ
                      Lady_CJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the heads up. I won't bother spending my money.

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that, Draknoir2! In the theater, I saw Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Men Tell no Tales. At the very end, it looks like there'll be consequences for Davy Jones going AWOL.

Comment

Finally saw Wonder Woman. Didn't go in with high expectations but was pleasantly surprised overall. Saw the new Spiderman the same day. Probably the odd one out here, but absolutely loathed it. Haven't sat through anything so simultaneously inane, dull and cringeworthy since the first Pokemon movie back in the 90's. Peter is supposed to have been picked for this highly unusual internship specifically based on rumors of some super-smarts and ability (in spite of his tender age). So why does he constantly act so impulsive, insecure and incompetent? The kids are supposed to be in high school, so why does the best friend act like he's seven? Even Michael Keaton's villain character couldn't make it watchable, imo.

Comment

• Draknoir2
                        Draknoir2 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I thought the first (pre-"reboot") movie was decent. To be honest I'm burnt out on comic movies.

• Trixie
                        Trixie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same. And now come to think about it, every time I've ever seen one, it's been at the behest of someone else.

Passengers. It was very good.

Comment

Dunkirk.

If you like watching 400,000 British and French troops getting pummeled on the beach while they await rescue by a flotilla of fishing boats and dinghies then this is the film for you.

Only high point is when Tom Hardy singlehandedly achieves air superiority in a Spitfire with no fuel after which he manages a perfect beach landing with no gear hydraulics.

Cuz Tom Hardy.
                        Last edited by Draknoir2; 08-03-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• Lady_CJ
                          Lady_CJ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I want to see that one.

In Dubious Battle. Very interesting.

Comment

Justice League. It felt like they were all flies swatting at a giant until they brought back Superman.
                          Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                            dubiousbystander commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And at the end we learn that the-useless-twit will be back, too.

The Last Jedi - It started with a bang, then dragged on pointlessly for way too long, before coming around and being amazing through the back end. Surprisingly, it may have my new favorite scene from the franchise, though the movie, itself, is sort of middling among the rest.

Bright - Mostly a good movie with some cool concepts, I was hoping for a bigger climax, but it was fair enough. Really hoping Netflix decides to do a sequel.

Comment

Yep. The Last Jedi. I was kind of surprised at how often I found myself nodding about recycled ideas, images and plot devices utilized. Original it was not. But it still had fun bits. Kept seeing people I knew I recognized and had to watch the credits for confirmation - Laura Dern shows up, for instance. Of course, I'd probably ask for a cameo too, just to be in the Star Wars universe if I was a Hollywood type.

Comment

We watched "Rogue One" recently. I know, I know, we are a bit behind, but we don't mind waiting...

Comment

Just watched Kidnap at home yesterday. I couldn't look away and I know that would be Dreigha if our kids were taken even though they're 21 and 19 now
                                Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

I rented Mask of Legend! Which is the Japanese title of Day of Wrath. Which is Game of Swords. Goodness! Brian Blessed and Christopher Lambert do very well, and so do the others. Blanca Marsillach is pretty amazing, too. Just enjoying it.

Comment

Saw "Bright," the Will Smith with orcs and elves movie. Not bad. I'd read that it was pretty heavy handed in its orcs = Black People, elves = White People thing, and "racism is bad!" message... I didn't think so. Pretty entertaining, and a ton of world-building going on. I guess the sequel is already greenlit.
                                    Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

• Haplo
                                      Haplo commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I came in about half way through that so was really confused. The Orcs struck me as broader than 'black people' but they were still just gang culture.

Rewatched Doctor Who: The Movie last night. It's always been a favorite of mine.

Comment

Elf "you`re an angry elf"...cracks me up every time..

Comment

Watched a bizarre old crossover film recently that I'd never previously heard of: Zorro and the Three Musketeers. It's a film from 1963 that I stumbled upon while browsing Amazon Prime. A curiosity to be certain, it justifies the crossover by being about a Spanish noble from the 17th century who is (I suppose) an ancestor of the Zorro we know, but who weirdly doesn't share the de la Vega name, so it's not really clear. It's almost like it just hoped the idea of Zorro was strong enough that audiences would ignore the fact that this version had no apparent reason to exist save to be alive in the Musketers' timeframe, but such as it is. Surprisingly, aside from this oddity, the film itself is actually quite entertaining. It featured good costume and set design, fairly decent acting, a suitable plot, and included fun fight scenes throughout. If you're a Musketeer fan like me, or a Zorro fan who's willing to overlook the fact that this guy isn't really Zorro, I'd say give it a view.

Comment

Working...
                                      X