This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowie in Berlin

This was a movie length documentary about David Bowie's three years living in Berlin in the 70's. Bowie was living in Los Angeles. He went to the hospital to visit his friend Iggy Pop who was near death from drug addiction. Bowie had a bad cocaine habit at that time too. So, Bowie and Iggy decide to move to Berlin and try to clean up their lives through musical collaboration. While there, Bowie created three of his best albums and helped Iggy to produce two albums. Bowie also worked a lot with Brian Eno while in Berlin and was inspired by the German band Kraftwork, who incidentally, told Bowie they were too busy to collaborate with him (their loss!). It was one of the most creative and productive periods of Bowie's life.

Comment

• I just watched The Happening again. I have a new perspective on it now. However, the more idiotic bits are still more idiotic.
      Last edited by dubiousbystander; 08-09-2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• The Man Who Fell To Earth - Mid '70's movie starring David Bowie. I learned about it from watching Bowie in Berlin. An ET comes to earth from a dying planet that has almost no water. He is much smarter and knowledgeable than the brightest humans. He makes a fortune inventing useful things. However, he succumbs to human temptations like alcohol and sex. Eventually, the government discovers he is not human and imprisons him for a time as an experimental subject. After some years, he regains some degree of freedom, presumably by trading his knowledge. The movie is supposedly a sci-fi cult classic, but I found it rather confusing and unfocused.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
          The Man Who Fell To Earth - Mid '70's movie starring David Bowie. I learned about it from watching Bowie in Berlin. An ET comes to earth from a dying planet that has almost no water. He is much smarter and knowledgeable than the brightest humans. He makes a fortune inventing useful things. However, he succumbs to human temptations like alcohol and sex. Eventually, the government discovers he is not human and imprisons him for a time as an experimental subject. After some years, he regains some degree of freedom, presumably by trading his knowledge. The movie is supposedly a sci-fi cult classic, but I found it rather confusing and unfocused.

And morbid. Don't forget morbid. I believe we end with the implication that his failure has doomed his world.

Comment

• I watched Spontaneous, a 2020 movie. It was startlingly good, as far as I'm concerned. Great acting, morbid humor. The only catch for me was that the problem was narrowed down to the senior class of one school in a small town. That wasn't a huge problem for enjoying the movie. I'm reading the book now. So far it looks like the movie stuck quite close and the book is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

And morbid. Don't forget morbid. I believe we end with the implication that his failure has doomed his world.
              I agree with you. The ending was rather sad. In a way, I feel like the movie speaks to our own human failures to be good stewards of Planet Earth. Your comment helped to illuminate this aspect. Thanks.

Comment

• The Spy Who Dumped Me - This was a fun movie to watch: good comedy combined with action and adventure. I'm a fan of Mila Kunis, but combining her talents with those of Kate McKinnon produced a great result!

Comment

• Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
                  What a quietly delightful little film. Starring the outstanding cast of Frances McDormand, Amy Adams, Lee Pace, and Mark Strong. There are no shoot outs, no explosions, no body count, just people caught up in one chaotic and pivotal day. It's funny, touching, and quite satisfying.

Comment

• Labyrinth - I saw this movie years ago, probably when it first came out. I had pretty much forgotten everything about it. I have watched some David Bowie movies recently (main reason I picked this from the library) and I did remember that he was in this movie, but I had forgotten that a very young Jennifer Connelly co-starred. The movie was fun to see again, but I was even more interested in the extra features. For one, they showed the hand manipulation expert who was up against Bowie's back for the glass ball tricks. Looked very uncomfortable for both men! Also interesting was the choreographer for all the dancing scenes with actors and puppets. Her name was Cheryl McFadden. She caught my eye instantly and I thought she must be the identical twin sister of Gates McFadden who played Dr. Crusher on Star Trek TNG. I looked up Cheryl and discovered that her full name is Cheryl Gates McFadden who is both an actor and a choreographer. She chooses to be credited by the different names depending on which professional category she is doing.

Comment

• Identity Thief. Seen it before, but I just love Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy.
                      WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

• Just watched the new Dune. Kid who played Paul was very good, wasn't so keen on the interpretation of Jessica. Over all good performances, but numerous little annoyances like the pointlessly altered pronunciations, apparently just to differ from the original film, and the fact that it takes a very long time to tell just half the story. I do rather like the new sand worm design, though. I'd say its thoroughly watchable, but it is not all that and a bag of chips.

Comment

• Ha, I also recently watched Dune! I was pretty pleased with it. Only a few things bothered me, but I enjoyed all the languages, and I liked the scene on Salusa Secondus. Though I can't decide how ridiculous I feel about the Sardaukar kneeling in the blood of victims. I mean, are these other people on Salusa Secondus, or what?

Comment

• I watched "Yesterday". I really enjoyed the character played by Himish Patel who is somehow transferred to an alternate reality in which he is the only person who remembers The Beatles. He is a singer and guitarist who has struggled for years to make it as a performer of his own songs. Now, he can introduce Beatles songs to the world. There is a lot of good humor in the movie and Himish really can play guitar and sing the Beatles songs!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
                              I watched "Yesterday". I really enjoyed the character played by Himish Patel who is somehow transferred to an alternate reality in which he is the only person who remembers The Beatles. He is a singer and guitarist who has struggled for years to make it as a performer of his own songs. Now, he can introduce Beatles songs to the world. There is a lot of good humor in the movie and Himish really can play guitar and sing the Beatles songs!
                              Among the humor being the moments when we find out that it isn't only The Beatles different in this world!

Comment

• I watched the Disney-Pixar movie "Coco". I really enjoyed it! Young Miguel goes on a Day of the Dead adventure and learns about his ancestors and about himself, as well. His dog Dante is lots of fun too.

Comment

• Les Misérables

Pretty entertaining 3 hour musical. I went in a little iffy but was left pleasantly surprised.

Seed of Chucky

As corny as the rest of the franchise. Not all that great but had a few funny moments.

Oh, I also tried to introduce my daughter (13 years old) to Highlander. She didn't seem interested after Ramirez died so we turned it off. She does like the series though and we're wrapping up season 2.

Comment

• I watched Hamilton, which startles me by its amazing storytelling!
                                  Ryan Reynold's Pokemon movie, that was pretty fun. Had watched... what is it? What is it? Red Notice, and R.I.P.D. For some reason I was on a Ryan Reynold's binge. I have no regrets!

Comment

• I watched the movie "ParaNorman". It is a fun story about a boy who can see and talk to ghosts. It is also an amazing achievement in stop-motion animation! The extra features about the making of the movie were very interesting. To create different facial expressions on the puppets, hundreds of interchangeable faces were 3-D printed for each puppet.

Comment

• I watched "The Cat in the Hat" with Mike Myers playing the cat. It had some funny moments, a lot of crazy zany ones, and a few really stupid ones, but overall, I found it entertaining. I enjoyed most watching Dakota Fanning, who was about 9 years old at the time, smiling and laughing quite a lot. From what I have seen, Dakota's later film roles were mostly dramatic and not very humorous.

Comment

• Free Guy! That was a lot of fun.

Comment

• I watched the documentary "M.C.Escher: Journey to Infinity". It was a biography told in Escher's own words from letters and interviews. The distinguished British actor Stephen Fry put voice to Escher's words. It was a fascinating story filmed at locations where Escher lived and showing much of his work. There were also interviews with Escher's children and other people who knew him. I found it interesting that Escher considered himself more of a mathematician than an artist.

Comment

• "Jumanji: The Next Level". The movie was confusing, at times, with all the body swapping going on. I wasn't sure who was who. Overall, it was entertaining, but I thought the first of the remake movies was better.

Comment

• I saw the movie "Moontrap". It was made in 1988 and stars Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell. It is apparently a cult classic, but I had never heard of it. I guess I'm not that plugged in to some things. Anyway, it was a somewhat entertaining movie. It had a very low budget, so only practical effects, no CGI. However, the sets and props were really quite good in my opinion. What I enjoyed even more than the movie were the extended interviews with Walter and Bruce that were extras of the 25th anniversary edition that I watched. I learned some things about their careers and the making of the movie that were very interesting.

Comment

• Watched Matrix Resurrections. Not sure why they even bothered. About an hour in we were still waiting for the story to kick in, honestly it was largely a yawn fest, nothing particularly interesting about it.

Comment

• I watched a Japanese animation (dubbed into English) called "Your Name". It was a fascinating mind trip! There was a great deal of time traveling, body swapping, and even romance. I had to watch it three times to get most of it straight in my mind!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X