Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched the new movie version of "Dune". The best visual rendition of the "Dune" novel that I have seen was a mini-series done by the Sci-Fi channel about 20 years ago. This new movie is not as good as the Sci-Fi version. One thing that I just can't accept is changing Liet Kynes from a man into a woman. There was no reason to do that except to try and make the movie less masculine dominated. Also, Liet's role in this movie is quite small. The Sci-Fi channel Liet had a much larger role. In the book, Liet is the father of Chani, who is a major character in the story. He is very well depicted in the Sci-Fi miniseries. In this movie, the prelude to the fall of House Atreides is very short. The book and the Sci-Fi miniseries both provide much more information which helps to explain the story much better. For example, there is a formal banquet with many different characters that occupies a long chapter in the book and an extended scene in the Sci-Fi miniseries. Overall, I am not very enthused by the new movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
      I watched a Japanese animation (dubbed into English) called "Your Name". It was a fascinating mind trip! There was a great deal of time traveling, body swapping, and even romance. I had to watch it three times to get most of it straight in my mind!
      Yeah, it's a surprisingly good film. I really liked it and the ideas it had.

Comment

• I watched the old Disney musical "Bedknobs and Broomsticks". I saw it as a child, but had forgotten most of it. It was fun to see again. The cat, who was the apprentice witch's pet, was the mangiest feline I have ever seen! No wonder he was so grumpy.

Comment

• I watched "The Girl on the Train". Unfortunately, I didn't like it very much. Some of the scenes were very disturbing and there were no scenes that I found humorous. The acting was good. I don't fault the players. Mostly, it just wasn't a good fit with my movie tastes.

Comment

• I watched the live action version of "101 Dalmations" with Glenn Close as Cruella. I have seen the original animated version a few times (long ago), but never this version. I found this version to be mostly non-stop silliness and absurdity. I suppose my problems with the movie are mostly due to having left my childhood behind some decades ago. I should watch the animated version again and see if I have the same reaction. I kept thinking of the huge piles 101 large dogs would be leaving everywhere!

Comment

• Just watched something called "No Clue" and it turned out to be quite fun, although we watched the whole thing with these bemused smiles. It was so understated that we kept waiting for ...bigger, but that never happened, it stayed under the radar almost the whole way through. Worth some of your time.

Comment

• I watched the 1974 movie "Where Have All The People Gone". I had some eye-rolling issues with some of it, but it was interesting, good cast!

I also enjoyed "Nope", which was really quite a good movie. Horse people!
                Last edited by dubiousbystander; 09-04-2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• I have enjoyed watching, again, Clay Borris' Alligator Shoes! That is something else, and with his family in it, too!

Comment

• The last movie I watched was "Nope".

My friend asked me if I'd recommend it.

My answer?

SPOILERMaybe.

Comment

• I watched the Disney movie "Jungle Cruise". I was surprised to find it quite entertaining, especially the Captain's pet cat.

Comment

• I saw "Ghostbusters: Afterlife". I really enjoyed it! I think that anyone who loved the original movie will also like this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
                          I saw "Ghostbusters: Afterlife". I really enjoyed it! I think that anyone who loved the original movie will also like this one.
                          I really enjoyed it as well.

Comment

• Cyrus The Great
                            Cyrus The Great commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I had my biggest laugh watching Sigourney Weaver giving Bill Murray shocks at the end of the movie.

• Hellraiser (2022) - pretty good film. I still prefer Bradley's lead Cenobite/Pin Head.

Comment

• The Electrical Life of Louis Wain was.....rather a waste of time. It was not particularly fun, it was not very entertaining, it was not at all charming, in fact, I found myself fidgeting to do other things by about half way through. For the performances, I'll be kind and give it one star out of five.

Comment

• Barbarian (2022). A pretty good concept but like a lot of modern horror films it seemed to tail off into obscurity towards the end.

Comment

• This is a nifty short. Does it qualify as a movie?

Comment

• I recently watched "The Lost City" with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. It was really good and one of the funniest movies that I have seen in years.

Comment

• I saw "Mary Queen of Scots" with Saoirse Ronan in the title role. Margot Robbie played Queen Elizabeth. The acting was all very good, but the story didn't really have any scenes that made me feel happy. I know that Mary's story is tragic, but surely, there must have been some happy times in her life.

Comment

• Saw Final Destination 5. Full circle!

Comment

• I have recently re-watched "Clerks", "Mallrats", and "Dogma". The first two I had seen once before years ago. It didn't take me very long to recall that "Clerks" is not a very good movie. It is supposed to be funny, but I only laughed once when Silent Bob busted out dancing with Jay who had cranked up some music on his box (probably from surprise). I think that if I had been a teen the first time I saw the movie, I probably would have giggled my way through the show, but I am decades past the appeal of naughty words and sex jokes. However, the making of "Clerks" by Kevin Smith is still a very impressive achievement considering that he was working full time at The Quick Stop in his real life (he filmed it at night, with the owner's permission, in about three weeks and got almost no sleep) and managed to produce the movie for less than $30,000!

"Mallrats" is a bit better on the entertainment front and had a sizable budget of about $6 million, but it still relies on teen male level humor.

"Dogma", however, is my all time favorite Kevin Smith movie. I have seen it at least half a dozen times and it still delivers a very entertaining and thought provoking performance with each viewing. I read recently that Kevin would like to make a sequel to "Dogma", but unfortunately, Harvey Weinstein from his jail cell will not sell the rights to "Dogma" back to Kevin.

Comment

• I watched Detective Pikachu, though not by choice. I have seen the new Antman in theaters recently. It was fun, but continuing the trend of diminishing returns from the Marvel series. They no longer feel like "must see" installments to me.

Comment

• I watched the Disney animated movie "Gnomeo and Juliet". It was a cute take on the Shakespearian original. Garden gnomes with a forbidden love. Also, drag racing lawnmowers.

Comment

• Everything
                                              Everywhere
                                              All At Once

That was FUN!

Comment

• Cyrus The Great
                                                Cyrus The Great commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Hot dog fingers!

• dubiousbystander
                                                dubiousbystander commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                SO many hilarious bits! And so much depth. I see some of my own family dynamics.

• The Menu - Ralph Fiennes. Brilliant film.

Comment

• I am watching "A Midsummer Night's Dream", the Shakespeare play, filmed at the recreated Globe Theater in London. I often have difficulty with Shakespearean dialogue, but this play is easier to understand than some other of his plays that I have seen. The shape of The Globe allows the audience to be right up against the stage. The stage is about three quarters round, which is something that I have never seen before. The actors frequently walk up and down multiple aisles, getting right in the faces of many audience members. I think this sort of engagement of the audience really makes the performance more special. This is a fairly long play, at about 3 hours, and at the mid-point, I can say I am having fun and looking forward to the second half.

Comment

Working...
                                                X