This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the latest movie you've seen?

Saw "King Arthur" the other night. I mostly dug the trailers. I assumed it'd probably do decent enough. Apparently the plan was to make it a 6 movie shared universe thing. Now, I really love pretty much all Guy Ritchie movies... nobody does British gangster fare like him. Kind of expected to dislike the movie from all the reviews... but I didn't. It's pretty much exactly like every other Guy Ritchie movie ever, minus the moments of surprise brutality (hard to do in PG-13, not that a King Arthur movie needs to be R). Everything is moving quickly, snap snap snap, one thing quickly transitioning into the next. But what works with this style in British gangster movies or in a limited extent in his Sherlock Holmes movies, just kind of doesn't work here. It's OK that we don't intimately know every character in one of his random British gangster ensemble movies... it's sort of pivotal that we know and care about all the Knights of the Round to be. We don't. It's never not fun to watch and it's got an energy to it, but I don't know that I'd want to see it again. I wish Jude Law was a bit more raucous, a little more Dom Hemingway and a lot less nuanced/timid... I think it would have served this particular film better. I will say I liked this a great deal more than the Clive Owen/Keira Knightley "King Arthur" movie a decade ago.

Now dammit, Guy Ritchie, make "The Real RocknRolla" already.
    Highlander: Dark Places

Logan.

I liked where they took it with Dr. Xavier and absolutely fell in love with the little Wolverette. Reminiscent of little Drew Barrymore in Firestarter.

The gang banger scene was worth the price of admission.
    Last edited by Draknoir2; 05-19-2017, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Patriots Day & Deepwater Horizon. Both great portrayals of real life events.

Comment

I happened to get to the movie theater just as Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was about to start, and so bought a ticket and watched it. Though I rolled my eyes and sighed a few times, for the most part I enjoyed it.

Comment

Split. M. Night ain't done. Loved it.

Comment

King Charles III, on Masterpiece Theatre

A trippy little piece of speculative fiction about what the writer thought could happen upon the death of the present queen of England, with prince Charles becoming king. The whole thing was in Shakespearean english- that was the trippiest part of it,(Given that the setting was completely modern day.) but in a way it worked since they were delving quite hard into where monarchy fits in modern democracy. Apparently it ran as a live play on Broadway before they filmed it, with a note at the end that the lead actor had died this year.

From PBS' website:

The hit Broadway show King Charles III, starring Tim Pigott-Smith, adapted for television, comes soon to MASTERPIECE. A 2016 Tony nominee for Best Play, the drama imagines Prince Charles’ ascension to the throne following Queen Elizabeth’s death. King Charles III, a special one-night television event, airs Sunday, May 14 at 9/8c.
            Last edited by Perfect Warrior; 05-19-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Logan and Fate of the Furious.

Both were fun, but Logan was absolutely amazing.

Comment

Saw Alien: Covenant. Wow, that was bad. It's like every mistake in Prometheus wasn't learned from, but rather expanded upon. I didn't love Prometheus but I was okay with it as long as we were getting the big meet-the-Engineers movie next as the ending promised... but 5 years of waiting and we get 0 of that. Not even a little bit. And now the link to Alien 1 is even less clear than it was before.

Logan was bad-ass and Fate of the Furious was... better than 7 and a lot of fun. Misleading, though. We don't see anyone's fate.

Comment

Alien covenant. I'm going to have to agree with Andrew. It was predictable and could have been so much better.

Comment

Puppet Master: Axis Of Evil, scraping the bottom of the barrel

Comment

The Great Wall. Very colorful. Excellent swordsmanship. Would make a great video game. One of the best Matt Damon films I've seen.

Comment

I rewatched Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad this week in anticipation of the Wonder Woman premiere showing I've got tickets for this week. Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice both still bring me to tears with how great they are... I will never be able to understand how some people can genuinely dislike those two films.

Comment

• RainbowRaven
                          RainbowRaven commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I thought Dawn of Justice was a better introduction to the Justice League than The Avengers were to The Avengers. I remember comparing the two on Twitter bit by bit but I'd have to re-watch both to remember all of my reasoning. I have a faint recollection of thinking BvS was more mature than The Avengers and also agonizing over how for the duration of my life I did not connect that both Superman's and Batman's mothers had the same name.

Originally posted by Takk View Post
                        Dawn of Justice both still bring me to tears with how great they are... I will never be able to understand how some people can genuinely dislike those two films.
                        I really dig Man of Steel minus two little problems... but Dawn of Justice? I get that you love it, but surely you can understand how some people could dislike it? I could rattle off about 15 solid reasons why. I don't mind it that much personally, beyond it being super premature in just about every way, narratively.

Comment

• Darth Reaper
                          Darth Reaper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, one of the things that I don’t like about Dawn Of Justice is that I think it was way too soon for Superman and Batman to be out to kill each other. I think part of what makes their confrontation in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel (which is clearly one of Zack Snyder’s inspirations for this film) work is that it’s a fight that they had been building towards for decades. If things have to go that way, this is how it should be done.

Just finished watching Logan. Best Wolverine movie yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

I get that you love it, but surely you can understand how some people could dislike it? I could rattle off about 15 solid reasons why.
                          Knowing the reasons claimed and understanding how and why such genuinely causes a dislike for the films are two different things. I know their supposed reasoning (even though BvS came out after I ceased indulgence in negative dwelling fan culture, I still heard more than enough of it), I just can't understand how people can genuinely dislike either of them.

Comment

• SouthernChickie
                            SouthernChickie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm on the other side of the coin. I cannot understand why people like BvS. I work at ThinkGeek and know that you are not alone in having enjoyed the film, I talk to people fairly frequently who liked it. I just don't get it. I have been told that I if I watch the director's cut it's a much better film. The only thing I genuinely liked about BvS is that it gives me a shred of hope that Nightwing might make an appearance in the future films.

So I saw WONDER WOMAN; absolutely fantastic film.

It is very character driven, much like Man of Steel was, and like Man of Steel it is very front heavy with exposition and drama, but unlike Man of Steel, it holds its main villain closer to its chest until the final act, where it goes full superhero action like the films before it. Also unlike Man of Steel, BvS, or even Suicide Squad, there were numerous genuinely light moments brought to us by Diana's ignorance of the world, which were all played wonderfully and got several honest laughs from the audience, which given the over-serious tone of BvS, in particular, will probably be a welcome addition to the proceedings for most fans.

All in all, I think it's a very solid addition to the DCEU, feeling right in line with what has come before, but also shining a light on what may be to come. Furthermore, I think it was really great to see a story focusing on the Old Gods of Greek mythology have its moment in the sun before the New Gods begin their rise in Justice League.

This is definitely one everyone should see in theaters.

Comment

Cell

Lovely film. Has an Ahriman reference, it's that good.
                            May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

Originally posted by Lady_CJ View Post
                              Just finished watching Logan. Best Wolverine movie yet.
                              Wouldn't be hard to top the other two, IMO, but the film is all around great. I am really sick of a lot of modern-day comicbook movies and TV shows due to their predictability and copy/paste feel, but Logan was absolutely superb. Deadpool, Logan and Legion have all been fantastic to me.

Comment

Wonder Woman. Great take on the New 52 version of the character. This movie has been a long time coming, and I'm glad to have it at last.
                                __________________________________________________

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                                --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

Caught Man From U.N.C.L.E. on HBO. Watched the TV series as an infant and was in love with that show, so I was prepared to hate the movie. But no, I loved the movie and want a sequel NOW! Should have known once I saw it was a Guy Ritchie film that it would be fun.

Got Jason Bourne, Sully and Deepwater Horizon (even though I've seen it) dvr'd for when I have a moment. (Thought Deepwater Horizon would be a usual liberal Hollywood hatchet job on the energy industry, but was pleased that it was not).
                                  WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

Just watched Elizabeth aand Elizabeth The Golden Age....can`t reccomend them highly enough if you like Historical drama. Now watching Gosford Park...one of my all time favorites. I love Maggie Smith...
                                    Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Wonder Woman. I loved the film. The third act was a little off-paced but all in all a solid piece of work. Miles ahead of any of the other DCEU. There may be hope for DC live action, yet!

Comment

Evil Brain from Outer Space...don`t ask. Then The DaVinci Code...
                                        Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

• Draknoir2
                                          Draknoir2 commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          I need to see it now.

Sherlock Holmes...annoying, but pretty good...

Comment

Naked Lunch.

Yeah, I know... only just got around to it. Classic Cronenberg mindf**k. I was buzzed when I watched it too.

Comment

Working...
                                          X