This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re watching the Lethal Weapon series...
    Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Inside Out, then Den of Thieves. I like variety.
      WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

I picked up Snow White The Fairest of Them All. I suspect it was because Clancy Brown is in it, only to find more familiar faces! It's not quite as difficult to watch as I remember. Does suffer from the usual lack of friendly interaction between female characters.

Comment

I mopped Star Trek:Beyond off my PVR yesterday. The action was probably great in the theater, but I really had a lot of 'can we skip the chase, please?' moments. And, like, the angle of the plot changed halfway through. Not a rewatch, IMHO.

Comment

The Crimesof Grindlewald...at least I think that is the name. Just can't get into these last two movies. They lack that special magic of the HP films. So unmemorable I can't even recall the names. Depp is embarasing in them. Ugh.
            Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

• Coolwater
              Coolwater commented
              Editing a comment
              .Amen.
              (This ' enter a post of at least ten characters' is annoying.)

I went to see Captain Marvel! That was a pretty darned good movie. Just keep whomever was responsible for certain comic stories far, far way. I am not deeply tied to the Marvel comics. I've had huge issues with them, such as when they made Carol Danvers pregnant with... Urgh. URGH. Yeuch.

Comment

I watched "First Man". It is a biographical movie about Neil Armstrong. I learned a few things about his life prior to landing on the Moon. However, I can't say that it was a really enjoyable movie. It was filmed in more of a documentary style than a dramatic style. It was sort of like lets try and put the viewer into the shoes of Neil while he is doing various things. Kind of like a first person video game perspective. Neil's wife Janet, played by actress Claire Foy, was the most interesting part of the movie for me. Ryan Gosling played Neil. I have enjoyed his acting in other movies, but his Neil was a really bland character. I'm not sure that was Ryan's fault though. I think he was trying to give an accurate depiction of Neil.

Comment

My husband has trouble hearing in theaters, so we mostly stream movies and TV. I guess the last two have been mini series: Chernobyl and The Road to Cavalry. (Russian in subtitles, thank goodness.) Chernobyl is as bad as you can imagine, just grim grim grim. And Road to Cavalry, about WWI and the on-coming revolution, feels like I've seen it already. I'm mostly enjoying it, but it's Dr. Zhivago, Anna Karenina, and a few others all rolled in one. Can the characters be any more histrionic?
                We are waiting impatiently for new episodes - well, new to us, anyway - of Derish Ertegrul and are hoping for a redemption season of Lucifer.
                “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                Billy Sunday

Comment

Missed getting in on the beginning of Chernobyl. Hope to catch it On Demand.

Comment

Originally posted by ~mj~ View Post
                    The Crimesof Grindlewald...at least I think that is the name. Just can't get into these last two movies. They lack that special magic of the HP films. So unmemorable I can't even recall the names. Depp is embarasing in them. Ugh.
                    Just saw this one myself. I kind of enjoyed the first one, it had a bit of the childlike magic to it, especially Eddie and his portrayal. But this, no, they lost it all, lost the chemistry between characters, lost and dribs or drabs of magic there might have been, and lost any further money they might have got from me. Depp at his worst and Law in a completely throw away role. I'm so done with the whole HP world.

Comment

I have been introducing G to the Oceans 11 series. Love that movie...

Comment

• Cyrus The Great
                        Cyrus The Great commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The Oceans movies are fun to watch.

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
                      Chernobyl is as bad as you can imagine, just grim grim grim.
                      Finally got to see it in its entirety. Fascinating, gripping, and yes, very, very grim. And sadly true.

Comment

• Coolwater
                        Coolwater commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was looking for a small collapsible cup for my travel kit and I found a bunch of interesting plastic souvenir ones from Russia. There were some pretty hand-painted ones and one from Solzhenitsyn’s home from the year of his death. Not small, but lightweight. I showed them to my husband, who said, "God knows what is in Russian plastic!" Um, yeah: do they glow in the dark?

Watched My Man Godfrey last night, an old favorite...love William Powell...

Comment

Checking out Alita Battle Angel for my first time. It's better than I expected. Probably the CG is helped by there being little attempt to make CG human faces.

Comment

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

A fairly decent comedic anthology film with some bits better than others. It opened with jestful absurdity, and concluded with introspective vagaries, as is often the case with Coen Brothers films, so it definitely feels like what you might expect from them. It actually kinda felt like a Canterbury Tales of the Old West.

It's not for everyone, but I liked it.

Comment

• Coolwater
                            Coolwater commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Wasn't for this one. Most of the stories were really cruel.

We've been watching more television series on Netflix. The trouble with movies is the length. On the one hand, they're too long for one evening, and on the other, they don't last more than an evening. A series can be watched for an hour, for weeks.
                          We loved Russian Doll, and are currently watching Kurt Seyit ev Sura (Seyit the Wolf and Shura). It starts as a really soppy romance between an ex pat Turkish officer in the Tzar's army and a Russian debutant. World War I, the Russian Revolution, the Turkish Revolution, PTSD and an awful lot of devious, wicked people prevent our protagonists from living happily ever after. It's based on a true story, so we haven't given up on them yet.
                          “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                          Billy Sunday

Comment

Have watched I Am Mother. I was surprised and impressed with it. Great acting, setting, backstory, and sneaky clever things you only notice if you're watching the number.

I think the upcoming Cats would benefit by NOT being in hi-def.

Comment

Murder on the Orient Express (1974 version) enh...not as good as I had hoped...

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
                                Have watched I Am Mother. I was surprised and impressed with it. Great acting, setting, backstory, and sneaky clever things you only notice if you're watching the number.
                                That was not bad. The actress was really good... just by the way they cast her I could tell what her connection to Hillary Swank was going to be.
                                Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Presently watching Godzilla King of Monsters. I now understand all the jokes about King Ghidorah's third head. I really dislike the antagonist (Dr. Emma Russell). Oh hoh! And here we bring in the Oxygen Destroyer bomb! Which kills everything except King Ghidorah. Of course.
                                  Last edited by dubiousbystander; 08-29-2019, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Jigsaw and Avengers Endgame.

Comment

I watched the movie "Welcome to Marwen". It is a fictionalized account based on the life of artist Mark Hogencamp. The movie starred Steve Carell, playing the role of Mark. The real life artist tells stories by photographing dolls set in a fictional town in Belgium during WWII. In the movie, the dolls come to life and appear as animated dolls. Actors playing the dolls were filmed using motion capture techniques. It was very well done and the story is quite compelling.

After seeing the movie, I watched a very interesting documentary named "Marwencol", made some years earlier, that followed Mark around for a time and explored his life and his imaginary world. The success of the documentary led to the making of the movie.

Comment

I'm watching Dark Phoenix. More than halfway through. The indignant "Why?" keeps sputtering out of me. Geesh. Geesh. This movie is scuzzy in many ways.

Comment

Babylon 5 Third Space

Comment

• To, Sir, with Love
                                            ...because Sidney.

Comment

Working...
                                            X