Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mathpiglet
    replied
    I'm not sure if I would watch if I had to pay, but up here it's on the Space channel which is included in our channels.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post

I understand your frustration, since I shared it. I finally decided I would either have to stop watching or watch it as a stand-alone series. If they mention other Treks, like they did Archer, I smile and then carry on. Since I've watched every Trek since the original the first time it aired, I would hate to give up on this one.
    I've mentally given up on it, though I'll keep on grudgingly watching it (though not on my dime). I'm a bit hip to the narrative they've constructed around the show since before it came out. You know, it's like apparently if you don't like Discovery, you're automatically a crotchety old fogey stuck on Old Trek and that's that.

It's all "war, war, war, how can we kill more efficiently?" If it at least made an effort to try and fit or even care, I'd forgive a lot more.

Apparently it's already been renewed for season 2.

Leave a comment:

• mathpiglet
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
    This is becoming increasingly and increasingly difficult for me to continue watching. When this started I said, "Wow, replicators, holographic projectors over a century before they had them, Warp-capable shuttles before they existed... they really don't care, do they? What's next, holodecks?"

And now there's holodecks.
    I understand your frustration, since I shared it. I finally decided I would either have to stop watching or watch it as a stand-alone series. If they mention other Treks, like they did Archer, I smile and then carry on. Since I've watched every Trek since the original the first time it aired, I would hate to give up on this one.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    This is becoming increasingly and increasingly difficult for me to continue watching. When this started I said, "Wow, replicators, holographic projectors over a century before they had them, Warp-capable shuttles before they existed... they really don't care, do they? What's next, holodecks?"

And now there's holodecks.

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Warrior
    commented on 's reply
    Hmmm. On that 'after-Trek' show on Space channel they said the original script had the creature a proper member of the crew, with a fancy station altered for it's use and everything. Pity they didn't keep that angle. As you say, it's very 'un-Starfleet'.

• dubiousbystander
    commented on 's reply
    Did his... inheritors ever remember that what Leto was really doing was breeding humans who produce spice in their own bodies?

• Haplo
    replied
    Originally posted by Perfect Warrior View Post
    Frank Herbert must be rolling in his grave. I mean, that giant caterpillar is the navigation computer? They've just switched spice to spores. (It's been decades since I read Dune, but I'm sure there's a line in there about people who use spice too much turning into these great worms- even in the movie there were these things floating in water, navigating the ships.)

& the war storyline just isn't grabbing me at all.
    I hadn't thought about Dune but you're right. It's very un-Starfleet to assume the bug thing is just a monster to be weaponized. They should have made Destiny a unique show and dropped the Star Trek name and trappings

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Warrior
    replied
    Frank Herbert must be rolling in his grave. I mean, that giant caterpillar is the navigation computer? They've just switched spice to spores. (It's been decades since I read Dune, but I'm sure there's a line in there about people who use spice too much turning into these great worms- even in the movie there were these things floating in water, navigating the ships.)

& the war storyline just isn't grabbing me at all.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    It is a difference we've not really had that much of before. Heavy concentration on a radical branch of Klingons, a dying house. The Klingons so factionalized they can't work together for even one day...

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Saw 4 today. Yeah, full-on replicators. And lots of violence and war stuff.

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    Now watching episode 4. "We will not be alone. We will not have backup." Hah. I see.

Leave a comment:

• Haplo
    replied

Seriously? That's terrible...
    No one in the shuttle was shocked so it must be common

Leave a comment:

• Haplo
    replied

But they have, like, double nostrils and such.
    And lizard like skin. Not to mention the head shape is totally wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Warrior
    replied
    Episode three- This spore travel thing strikes me as string theory. String theory mashed together with microscopic biology? Perfectly within Star Trek's usual modus operandi to base such babble on the edges of modern research, but the demonstration seemed to be more like 1960's psychic spy research, specifically the so-called 'distant viewing' psychic power.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Haplo View Post
    Episode 3 has a shuttle capable of warp! They didn't even have that in TNG which was long after ToS lol Oi Vey
    Seriously? That's terrible...

Leave a comment:

• Haplo
    replied
    Episode 3 has a shuttle capable of warp! They didn't even have that in TNG which was long after ToS lol Oi Vey

Leave a comment:

• dubiousbystander
    replied
    I will see episode 3 when I can!

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Warrior
    replied
    I'm not impressed either. I get it that this is pre neutral zone, and we're likely going to get the story of how they arrived at the neutral zone treaty, but meh. Starfleet ethics? Well, they're explaining why Kirk played fast and loose with the rules at times, but a yahoo wrote their rules.

Leave a comment:

• Haplo
    replied
    So far not so good. Technology is too advanced and the Klingons are too Toad looking.
    Last edited by Haplo; 10-02-2017, 09:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Perfect Warrior View Post
    Yeah, those aren't klingons. So many one-episode aliens in the original series and they have to call that a klingon?
    It's so weird. It's like they want to use the Klingons so bad because they're so iconic to Trek... yet they're so embarassed about them. But the Klingons are like the least un-cool thing about Trek. Sooo weird.

Leave a comment:

• Perfect Warrior
    replied
    Yeah, those aren't klingons. So many one-episode aliens in the original series and they have to call that a klingon?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied

New trailer from Comic Con. Really... doesn't look like Star Trek to me. And the ships are firing Star Wars-like turbolasers again, like in the Abrams stuff.

Leave a comment:

• n107
    replied

Then just put scraggly nose hair in the second nostrils and you're fine again!

Leave a comment:

• Andrew NDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lady_CJ View Post
    Someone in the Star Trek Discovery group on Facebook posted a picture of a Klingon from TNG and one of the ones from Discovery and if you put scraggly hair on the Discovery Klingon they look the same.

Leave a comment:

• Lady_CJ
    replied
    Someone in the Star Trek Discovery group on Facebook posted a picture of a Klingon from TNG and one of the ones from Discovery and if you put scraggly hair on the Discovery Klingon they look the same.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X