No announcement yet.

"Star Trek: Discovery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished watching Season 2. I thought it was well done for the most part. The Klingons looked more like TNG Klingons. The Red Angel storyline was an interesting mystery. I liked the actors who played Capt. Pike and the several ages of Spock. The development of Saru and his people was very interesting. The in-depth look at the early Section 31 was also interesting. A couple of things bugged me though. I didn't like the reimagined hand phasors with their little red energy be-bees. Also, I thought it was inappropriate for a shuttle craft to have its own transporter system. In a "tech manual" for TOS Enterprise, the transporter system was illustrated to be about three stories high above the transporter pads. So, it seemed to me that the sort of mini-transporters that exist later in TNG, DS9, etc., were not yet developed 100, or so, years previously. Overall, I will look forward to Season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
      I just finished watching Season 2. I thought it was well done for the most part. The Klingons looked more like TNG Klingons. The Red Angel storyline was an interesting mystery. I liked the actors who played Capt. Pike and the several ages of Spock. The development of Saru and his people was very interesting. The in-depth look at the early Section 31 was also interesting. A couple of things bugged me though. I didn't like the reimagined hand phasors with their little red energy be-bees. Also, I thought it was inappropriate for a shuttle craft to have its own transporter system. In a "tech manual" for TOS Enterprise, the transporter system was illustrated to be about three stories high above the transporter pads. So, it seemed to me that the sort of mini-transporters that exist later in TNG, DS9, etc., were not yet developed 100, or so, years previously. Overall, I will look forward to Season 3.
      The technology doesn't make any sense for it to be 10 years before Kirk. And season 2 at the end, they forgot their whole plot... the signals already appeared in the first episode.

I also think they were grooming Control storyline to be a Borg origin thing, but they got deterred from it. Probably by people who know the Borg are thousands of years old.
      Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Look at this, these are the press kits that went out to all the press to drum up interest in season 3, along with the first four episodes to review:

Big bottles of whisky! CBS is literally sending big bottles of whisky to the press. As if to say, "Look, we know they're bad, but these episodes are going to be WAY better if you're fucked up!"

Myself, I just saw the first episode of season 3. Terrible. The writers literally don't know that the Federation and Starfleet are two different things. There's several points where they use the terms interchangeably, also incorrectly (what's a "Federation officer"? that's an oxymoron). Also, sure enough, right away there are lots of explosions, about 20 people murdered with phasers, and yes, Michael Burnham screaming and crying (twice in the episode).

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Kirk View Post
          The explanation given in Ent for the flatheaded Klingons seen in TOS was already hard to swallow, now I wonder how they're gonna explain this... (Though I'm pretty sure they just won't)
          That was about the only thing I liked about ENT outside of Dark Mirror:Part one to be honest!
          JB

Comment

Ethan Peck or Speck as I call him was no Leonard Nimoy, not even a Zachary Quinto in my opinion either...
            JB

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybear View Post
              Ethan Peck or Speck as I call him was no Leonard Nimoy, not even a Zachary Quinto in my opinion either...
              JB
              Oh, he did fine, at least to me.

Comment

After watching two episodes of this season the main thing that sticks with me is the 18th/19th century colonialism-justification attitude with a seasoning of White Savior Syndrome. (Just making the people who want to save the locals from their way of doing things Black and Asian is an insufficient lampshade to hang on it, IMHO.) I have a thin hope of them getting their attitude handed to them on a platter.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post

Oh, he did fine, at least to me.
                  Peck was... eh, serviceable. They might as well have brought in Quinto, and I don't even like those movies.

Comment

I just watched season 3. Overall, I thought is was pretty good. I wondered about a few things though. This may seem trivial to most people, but I was very curious as to what sort of tree could grow so huge in maybe 1200 years or so as the one at Star Fleet Academy did? Is it an Earth tree or some sort of extra-terrestrial tree? I thought the explanation of "The Burn" was rather lacking. Somehow, a partially mutated Kelpian child, in his grief at his mother's death, caused all dilithium in the galaxy to go inert which led to most of the starships exploding. However, not all dilithium was effected as it was being traded on a black market for various goods and services. Also, the dilithium planet where the mutated Kelpian lived inside a crashed ship apparently wasn't effected by his psychic anti-dilithium scream. I had to suspend a lot of disbelief. Was "The Chain" composed of former Federation peoples? That seemed to be implied by them having suspended The Prime Directive. Anyway, I like a lot of things about "Discovery", but I would like to know more, or have things explained better.

Comment

I'm actually back to watching Discovery, something I thought I would never do. It turns out I had only made it 1 episode into Season 2 the first time I quit. I thought I made it further but apparently it only felt that way.

I'm near the end of Season 2 now and I'm trying to be positive about it, even though it is still filled with a lot of things I strongly disapprove of. However, I do find myself enjoying it more than I did the first time around. I think it's easier for me to accept what I'm seeing here after how atrociously bad Picard was. But my overall opinion remains the same: I would like this show a whole lot more if it wasn't Star Trek.

Comment

Working...
                      X