"Star Trek: Discovery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

But they have, like, double nostrils and such.
    And lizard like skin. Not to mention the head shape is totally wrong.
    Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

Seriously? That's terrible...
      No one in the shuttle was shocked so it must be common

Comment

Now watching episode 4. "We will not be alone. We will not have backup." Hah. I see.

Comment

Saw 4 today. Yeah, full-on replicators. And lots of violence and war stuff.

Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

It is a difference we've not really had that much of before. Heavy concentration on a radical branch of Klingons, a dying house. The Klingons so factionalized they can't work together for even one day...

Comment

Frank Herbert must be rolling in his grave. I mean, that giant caterpillar is the navigation computer? They've just switched spice to spores. (It's been decades since I read Dune, but I'm sure there's a line in there about people who use spice too much turning into these great worms- even in the movie there were these things floating in water, navigating the ships.)

& the war storyline just isn't grabbing me at all.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                dubiousbystander commented
                Editing a comment
                Did his... inheritors ever remember that what Leto was really doing was breeding humans who produce spice in their own bodies?

Originally posted by Perfect Warrior View Post
              Frank Herbert must be rolling in his grave. I mean, that giant caterpillar is the navigation computer? They've just switched spice to spores. (It's been decades since I read Dune, but I'm sure there's a line in there about people who use spice too much turning into these great worms- even in the movie there were these things floating in water, navigating the ships.)

& the war storyline just isn't grabbing me at all.
              I hadn't thought about Dune but you're right. It's very un-Starfleet to assume the bug thing is just a monster to be weaponized. They should have made Destiny a unique show and dropped the Star Trek name and trappings

Comment

• Perfect Warrior
                Perfect Warrior commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm. On that 'after-Trek' show on Space channel they said the original script had the creature a proper member of the crew, with a fancy station altered for it's use and everything. Pity they didn't keep that angle. As you say, it's very 'un-Starfleet'.

This is becoming increasingly and increasingly difficult for me to continue watching. When this started I said, "Wow, replicators, holographic projectors over a century before they had them, Warp-capable shuttles before they existed... they really don't care, do they? What's next, holodecks?"

And now there's holodecks.

Comment

This is becoming increasingly and increasingly difficult for me to continue watching. When this started I said, "Wow, replicators, holographic projectors over a century before they had them, Warp-capable shuttles before they existed... they really don't care, do they? What's next, holodecks?"

And now there's holodecks.
                I understand your frustration, since I shared it. I finally decided I would either have to stop watching or watch it as a stand-alone series. If they mention other Treks, like they did Archer, I smile and then carry on. Since I've watched every Trek since the original the first time it aired, I would hate to give up on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post

I understand your frustration, since I shared it. I finally decided I would either have to stop watching or watch it as a stand-alone series. If they mention other Treks, like they did Archer, I smile and then carry on. Since I've watched every Trek since the original the first time it aired, I would hate to give up on this one.
                  I've mentally given up on it, though I'll keep on grudgingly watching it (though not on my dime). I'm a bit hip to the narrative they've constructed around the show since before it came out. You know, it's like apparently if you don't like Discovery, you're automatically a crotchety old fogey stuck on Old Trek and that's that.

It's all "war, war, war, how can we kill more efficiently?" If it at least made an effort to try and fit or even care, I'd forgive a lot more.

Apparently it's already been renewed for season 2.

Comment

I'm not sure if I would watch if I had to pay, but up here it's on the Space channel which is included in our channels.

Comment

It's enough to make an honest immortal seek out a guillotine. I'm a few episodes behind and trying to motivate myself to get caught up.

Comment

I'm exactly the same- two episodes unwatched on the PVR. Reading the summaries I'm still meh. I'm more enthused to re-watch that 90 minute thing about Edgar Allan Poe.

Comment

I think there's more merit in "The Zone" and "Bless the Child" than any of this.

Comment

I like Discovery a lot. However, like ENT, its definitely not a show that can sit easily with the TOS-TNG canon for me. For all sorts of reasons.

That being said, it could've easily been corrected to have been more explictily fitting as a TOS prequel. There are clearly a lot of nods to TOS (certainly far more than any in ENT's first two years were), and its certainly an edgier universe than the 24th wound up being, but I feel as if this is what we lost when Fuller jumped ship. I think he'd have insisted on more strict adherence to the TOS canon.

In any case, I'll keep watching. I like the show well enough, and I do think, if it was set in the Kelvin timeline, it'd automatically be a much better show.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleander View Post
                              if it was set in the Kelvin timeline, it'd automatically be a much better show.
                              I don't know if that would make it a better show... but that would succeed in making it fit. Somewhere.

Comment

Its frustrating because I can definitely see how Fuller intended this to be a prequel show to TOS, and it definitely still is that (more than ENT was in some ways), but its also visually ahead of every Trek out there... I dunno. Its just easier to say it occurs in the ENT/JJ Abrams-verse and be done with it.

Comment

Its frustrating because I can definitely see how Fuller intended this to be a prequel show to TOS, and it definitely still is that (more than ENT was in some ways), but its also visually ahead of every Trek out there... I dunno. Its just easier to say it occurs in the ENT/JJ Abrams-verse and be done with it.
                                  It would work. This is still set after Starfleet and the Klingons would have had plenty of years to dissect Nero's 25th century Narada ship with Borg technology on it... I can buy that tech levels are a little advanced beyond that.

Comment

I always argued that the timeline changed in the Kelvin universe by that unknown time traveller from ENT, anyway. But bear in mind, ENT and the Abrams-verse are the same universe.

And honestly, in an ideal world, this would be set in the 25th century, with Tuvok (or even more ideally, the legendary Spock himself) being Michael's tutor. These Klingons seem so vastly different from the regular Klingons anyway, so explain that away as cellular mutation or whatever, and there.

That being said, I think its clear what DIS was intenteded to be: what DS9 was to TNG, in other words, a darker spin set around the same era. Further juxtaposed by having the protagonist being a sibling (of sorts) of Spock's. However, if that's the case, then someone missed the point of DS9, which was add the missing edge into the TNG-verse that was prevalent in TOS. But whatever, I'm probably thinking too much of this.

In any case, in some ways, it seemed to me like the show tries a bit too overtly to canonize TAS, which is nice, but the holodeck just seems too much.

Comment

And honestly, in an ideal world, this would be set in the 25th century, with Tuvok (or even more ideally, the legendary Spock himself) being Michael's tutor. These Klingons seem so vastly different from the regular Klingons anyway, so explain that away as cellular mutation or whatever, and there.
                                      Yes, exactly.

That being said, I think its clear what DIS was intenteded to be: what DS9 was to TNG, in other words, a darker spin set around the same era.
                                      Maybe like a mobile version of DS9... but a "darker spin" on what? There's nothing to spin from, not in the past decade. I mean, what, the Abrams movies? Those are dark as hell, whole planets getting blown up, people running around screaming and punching and shooting everyone.

I did see this past Sunday's episode, too. For as much good as I heard about this past Sunday's "Discovery" I found it to be all kinds of bad. Mudd, openly murdering people now? Let's completely forget about the poor, sick space whale that's sitting in the hangar? Apparently no matter where you are in the galaxy, you can get a message to any ship out there, anywhere, and they can be where you are within 30 minutes? There are some playful performances this episode but I can't fathom how people are swallowing this and saying "Finally! This is Trek!" This is pretty far from it. It does not care about Trek and it does not care about you.

Comment

I actually found Lethe rewatchable, that is I didn't immediately delete it with a sigh of disappointment. But I was mildly drunk. A pint of my homebrew. I wonder if this show is like 2001: A Space Odyssey, in the sense that it's said that it's best to watch it stoned. Maybe this show is best watched with booze. (But a Vulcan suicide bomber? Isn't that an oxymoron?)

Comment

Discovery Season 3 trailer:

Comment

I watched the first season of Discovery and thought it was pretty good, but the new Klingons look a bit too reptilian for my tastes. I really liked the Next Gen make-up for Klingons. Also, I laughed really hard when, in a DS9 episode, Worf commented about back in time Klingons who looked like humans: "It is something that we do not speak about!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
                                              Also, I laughed really hard when, in a DS9 episode, Worf commented about back in time Klingons who looked like humans: "It is something that we do not speak about!"
                                              Later on in Enterprise, there's a season 4 episode where they show what happened.

Comment

Later on in Enterprise, there's a season 4 episode where they show what happened.
                                                I have some memory of that. Were the Klingons trying to genetically engineer/enhance themselves?

Enterprise was a good show. I need to re-watch it sometime.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                                                  dubiousbystander commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Yes, but with magic DNA from the Augments who appeared in an episode of Enterprise. The Augment DNA is SPECIAL, so it made the Klingons look like humans, and then it magically got into some virus, so dat de poor Kwingons suddenly found the magic DNA getting into people they had no intention of inflicting it upon.
                                              Working...
                                              X