The Keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Keep

Has anyone here seen this movie or read the book that it's based on? I saw it way back in the days when they still had video stores, and I just recently read the book. I remember the movie being a bit of a head trip. I've looked at some bits and pieces of it on youtube and I think it has a bit of a Highlander feel to it.

There's a book?

Comment

There's a movie?!

Comment

Oh, and to answer the initial question, I stumbled upon the Repairman Jack books when I was younger, and in my efforts to read all that was available at the time, I read the so called Adversary Cycle, which included a trilogy which began with The Keep. I looked up it up earlier today to see if it was the one you were referring to, and sure enough it has a movie adaptation, but by the sounds of it it was so butchered by the studio (being cut down to an hour and a half from an original three and a half hour run time) that I'll probably avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
          There's a book?
          Yep. There's a book. You should check it out. I got it from Amazon for my Kindle. I enjoyed it.

And, to Takk, yeah, even those who like the movie say that it's a very flawed film. I've seen two different reviewers say that after they were done watching it they had absolutely know idea what they had just seen. I've read that the studio did butcher it and the guy who was handling the visual effects for it died during production, so they had to revise some parts of the script because they had no idea how he was going to handle the effects for the original version.

As for avoiding it, we don't have much choice right now. The director hates the movie and hasn't allowed anyone to do a DVD or Blu-ray of it. The only way to see it is apparently if you can find a VHS tape or I hear you can find it on the internet for streaming. Part of me wants to see it again, just to see what it's like.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
            dubiousbystander commented
            Editing a comment
            Gracious! I will try to check out the book!

Originally posted by Darth Reaper View Post

As for avoiding it, we don't have much choice right now. The director hates the movie and hasn't allowed anyone to do a DVD or Blu-ray of it. The only way to see it is apparently if you can find a VHS tape or I hear you can find it on the internet for streaming. Part of me wants to see it again, just to see what it's like.
          I got curious and looked around a bit. It seems to have been released on DVD in Australia, but bootlegs of it seem pretty rampant, so I'm not even 100% sure if that one is actually official.

Comment

Working...
          X