Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander: The Duel

The new game by B & B studios.

What do you think about this Game? Would you buy and/or play it?
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

This is a useful review. It's the most I've heard about this.

Comment

Look far too basic for my tastes. Would likely be fun for a Highlander fan that isn't really into gaming as a hobby but I think I'd grow bored of it before finishing a single game.

Comment

It seems it doesn't take long enough to get boring for me. Might be a game that younger people can pick up and play too.

Comment

It definitely seems like it borrows elements from card games aimed at children with a little added complexity in the icon-based attack and defense. I'm reminded of the Iron Man Battling Card game in mechanics. Though it's a fast little game to pass the time, it's not something you want to play again and again. It's a gaming mechanic with the rest of the game removed.

This game looks a little more strategic for having to consider the icons on the cards available and trying to remember what cards your opponent takes but the symmetric design is a lost opportunity. The Kurgan and Connor are two entirely different fighters and should have their individuality represented but they are completely balanced and have access to the exact same cards. It becomes a very shallow "duel" and will leave players wanting after a short while.

As for the video review, Undead Viking was wrapped up in controversy a while back because he wasn't very forthcoming that game designers paid him to do reviews and then refused to acknowledge it when the information came out. That would explain why every game is so good in his opinion and comes with his recommendation. I'd probably "enjoy" a lot of these games, too, if I was getting a bag of cash for saying nice things about them. He really came off as having little integrity in the way he handled the situation and I stopped watching his reviews because of it. I'd rather see another review by someone who put up their own money for a copy rather than someone who is hired to sell the product.

Comment

At this point most videos will probably be promotional. Hopefully it'll ship soon and we'll see some in hand reviews later.

Simple and short isn't bad imo. Although I understand fans would want as much depth and details they can get, widening the niche market a bit doesn't hurt too much.
            For gameplay purposes wouldn't it make sense that there are shared traits? After all it does need balance.
            Following the lore, Connor beat the odds against the Kurgan which seems hard to implement in a simple Game.

Comment

Balance is fine, but there are ways to do it asymmetrically. When you strip away the individuality of the characters, then it doesn't matter who they are or what you call it. It could be Connor vs The Kurgan, Ramirez vs Fasil, or Kastagir vs Pikachu. The only thing different is the character's picture and the useless plastic model, the game would play exactly the same. It is divorced from the theme, which is what is drawing people to part with their money in the first place. And enough fan are gullible enough to do it. They're buying the name "Highlander" but not receiving anything that truly makes it feel like Highlander.

Comment

So cards and counter cards?

I'd like to see Kastagir vs Pikachu. Iron tail might win.

Comment

A unique deck for each Immortal, for starters, which could be enhanced by the cards drawn from the general pool of attacks rather than everything coming from the same deck for both players.

Or even cut the universal deck and use a hand-recycling mechanic where each character has a very small hand of unique cards tailored to the character's style. Each played card is lost until the final card in the hand is played, at which point the character gets back their entire hand, minus that last played card which starts the new discard pile. That is a simple and powerful way of adding strategy to the duel as it becomes a bluffing game as to when you're going to play certain cards. It becomes a duel of wits and not just luck of the draw. Nothing is random; everything depends on how well you and your opponent read each other, as well as choosing to play the right card at the right time to capitalize on this. There are multiple versions of this mechanic that work extremely well in 1v1 settings.

Aside from that, the abilities on the character cards should be different. Not just the same two abilities but reversed from the other character.

It doesn't have to be anything major, but uniqueness gives games longevity. As it is now, the "characters" are just superficial skins that could be swapped out for anything.

Comment

Fair point.
                    However wouldn't then the comparison to the CCG come up? Also, without updates and prolonged play time, some strategies would turn up time and again so longevity isn't something that comes to mind when someone finds a working strategy in a 1:1 game. It'll become boring soon.

Comment

I don't think a comparison to the CCG would come up any more than it would now. It would still play very similarly to the way it is designed, but would be based on the character's play style, not the player's style (as a CCG would be). Asymmetrical games, as long as they are balanced, would be no more at risk of becoming boring due to repetition than a symmetrically balanced game. The only difference that I'm suggesting is making it less luck of the draw and more mind vs mind in a way that fits thematically with the characters involved.

Comment

Highlander poker?

Comment

In the sense of mind vs mind.

Actually, a poker-based combat mechanic has been used before, notably in "Deadlands: Doomtown", an old CCG from around the turn of the century. If you're not familiar with it, it is based on the Deadlands RPG which is set is a supernatural alternate history of the old American west. Each card in the game had a suit and value like a playing card printed in the top corner. To resolve shootouts, you used these values to play a hand of poker. You were able to draw extra cards or redraw a number of cards based on the combat value and skill of the characters in your posse. From that, you made the best 5-card hand to try to beat your opponent. It was very cool and thematic for the setting.

Obviously that wouldn't be appropriate for this game, but I digress.

Comment

With estimated shipping somewhere in June it stays relatively silent. I hope we'll be able to play the game through the forum as well.

Comment

Since I received my copy, I'd wager others have as well. So what's the verdict?

My opinion is that the figurines are nice and fairly detailed. The cards are a bit thin but the artwork is great.
                              Should have had 2 D20 or D12 to keep track of damage but overall it's a fun little game.

Comment

You might sell me on it, Nicholas!

Comment

Working...
                                X