No announcement yet.

Fight of the Day shall Return!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it's up to Ceridwen or dubiousbystander to see who'd win?

I'm willing to trade Zai Jie for Rebecca for The Kurgan instead of Kronos btw
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

• Yeah, nobody's gonna take that. LOL. Unfortunately we just need to give some time for a tie-breaker to show up since we have 2 ties. We have a few people who vote who haven't shown up yet. I'll keep checking every day to see if someone breaks it.

Comment

• TIED:

Rebecca Horne = 2
        Zai Jie = 2

Kronos = 2
        Kurgan = 2

Comment

• ROUND 5

1. Otavio Consone vs. Kyra
          Consone. I know people are impressed with Kyra, but as she was on the show, she was presented as being this great bodyguard without, really, anything to show that she was great. She was childlike, and I am not sure who to blame that on more, the writers or the unfortunate actress. Childlike, and she ended up in a mental hospiatl for reasons, molested by a scuzzy nurse (ah, how far you fell Luthor (just joking)).

2. Kronos vs. The Kurgan
          Also somewhat tricky. Kronos is a hell of a fighter and no slouch. The Kurgan must be, too, BUT he lost to Connor in this universe. Kronos, I think, as we do not really know how good the Kurgan of the series might have been. We only know, wink wink, that he was bad.

3. Silas vs. Xavier St.Cloud
          Also tricky. Silas was part of the four, for a thousand years. Xavier before losing one hand? After... well, he did make a pretty decent accounting with that hook. I'm torn. Hm. Hmm hm. Xavier, maybe. Maybe. The hook is throwing me. Intact, Xavier. With hook, probably Silas.

4. Zai Jie vs. Rebecca Horne
          Nooooo! Zai Jie, we hardly knew you. I'm going with Rebecca under two theories. One, she's alive because the Methuselah Stone makes her invulnerable as long as she fights. Two: She would have to be great to make it that long, and the ONLY reason, as far as we know, she died was because she let herself be killed. Zai is a good guy, at least when we know him, not one to threaten mortal loves to make her surrender.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
            2. Kronos vs. The Kurgan
            Also somewhat tricky. Kronos is a hell of a fighter and no slouch. The Kurgan must be, too, BUT he lost to Connor in this universe. Kronos, I think, as we do not really know how good the Kurgan of the series might have been. We only know, wink wink, that he was bad.
            So, I get the impression you're going Kronos but you didn't say as much as so please clarify.

Also, consider that Kurgan isn't a different character by TV rules. The only thing is that when Connor took him out, he and Connor weren't the last two immortals (in the TV series universe). You can still give him credit from the movie in that he was 2nd place and was as powerful and as successful as he was.

Even if you look at him by TV series rules, he's still ran through the competition based on those rules. Anyways, please let us know officially what your vote is.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
              dubiousbystander commented
              Editing a comment
              Officially my vote is Kronos. Just in case this also isn't clear, officially Rebecca.

• ROUND 5

Otavio Consone d. Kyra
            Kronos d. The Kurgan
            Silas d. Xavier St.Cloud
            Rebecca Horne d. Zai Jie

Comment

• QUARTER-FINALS

Haresh Clay vs. Duncan MacLeod

Otavio Consone vs. Kronos

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne

Comment

• QUARTER-FINALS

So, Duncan was able to face Haresh when Haresh was burying his best friend of 900 years. Clay's fire was gone, Clay's watcher noted this on the watcher database that's on the DVDs and he still put up a hell of a fight with season 5 Duncan. The database basically said that if they had fought at a time when Clay wasn't at his worst, Duncan would have been pushing up daisy's. So if we take him in his prime, I have Clay here.
                VOTE: Haresh Clay

I think this is a bad match for Kronos. Kronos is not a large man and he swings a REALLY heavy sword and I think Consone would poke holes in Kronos as he got tired. We've seen Consone duel Duncan for hours so we know stamina is not going to be his problem.
                VOTE: Consone

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Could go either way. Gut says Cullen wins, but you could also argue "Well, even though he was slated as the best in Europe, he hadn't faced Caspian, clearly." Caspian being approx 4,000+ years old would make him someone who could beat him. That being said, going to the watcher database, they pointed out that Duncan being a finesse fighter is what really caught Caspian and I think that Cullen's technique and natural gift for fighting is probably going to win him the day here.
                VOTE: Brian Cullen

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne

I think this is a very close fight and could go either way. Though gut tells me Rebecca can handle him.
                VOTE: Rebecca Horne

Comment

• Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
                  QUARTER-FINALS

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne
                  1. Yeah, although I want Duncan out I do not think Haresh Clay is the one to pull that off. It'll be close but Duncan probably still takes it. Winner: Duncan MacLeod

2. I fully agree with Aragorn here. Otavio Consone will take this. Winner: Otavio Consone

3. It is amazing Caspian got as far as he did because he wasn't that good. Duncan dispatched of him easily. He was old but in an asylum for a long time so no swordplay for him.
                  Brian Cullen might have some difficulty adapting to a madman but will take this eventually. Winner: Brian Cullen

4. Silas is extremely powerful but big and slow. He'll lose to about everyone left in this tournament. I like the big guy so I'll give him a graceful end by the sword of Rebecca. Winner: Rebecca Horne.

Comment

• QUARTER-FINALS

This one is only hard because we DON'T know current Haresh Clay against current Duncan MacLeod. It's easy for Clay's Watcher to vote for their own Immortal. Duncan, as Clay from way back when, is continually studying, learning, expanding his fighting skills. Maybe Duncan would win. There's no sign that Clay has stagnated, though.

2. Otavio Consone vs. Kronos
                    Otavio is ahead of Kronos. Probably. On the other hand, as Duncan beat Otavio by ignoring the pain of blades in his gut, Kronos could probably have done the same. Hmm. Chance really is a factor here. SKILL, Otavio probably.

3. Brian Cullen vs. Caspian
                    Cullen.

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne
                    Rebecca!

Comment

Duncan MacLeod - As we saw in the series, Duncan wins. It isn't going to matter if Carter is alive or not. The show was called Highlander, not Haresh.

Kronos - This would be damn good. I have three immortals ranked ahead of Consone. Two MacLeods and Kronos. The leader of The Horsemen will get cut up here, but he keeps his head. As far as "small guy swinging a big sword" he didn't seem to have any trouble whatsoever swinging that sword.

Brian Cullen - Another brutal one. Cullen should have enough technique to beat the ancient.

Silas - We are talking at their best. It is said that, at his best, Silas swung his axe as fast as a sword. I think that negates the "big and slow" argument.
                      "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

• QUARTER-FINALS

I'm going to go on and say that prime Duncan is my #1 ranked Immortal, so as long as he's in a tournament he will get my vote in any matchup LOL. I would also say that peak Duncan is sometime after Duende but before Archangel (though it could also be argued that his peak was post-Endgame, or even post-Source...I'm going with my original decision). That means that prime Duncan has Clay's own Quickening, as well as Kronos, Caspian, Consone, and a bunch of other top guys as well. I'm sure that Clay cut down his fair share of big names, but it's tough to imagine that they'd live up to Mac's list. If you're a believer in the power of the Quickening (which if you're a Highlander fan, I'm guessing you do), that says you believe that it gives you that extra 'oomph' that separates you from the rest, especially in a close match like this one.

Kronos is the only Immortal not named MacLeod that I have in my Top 3. Consone, as good as he was, was never a top headhunter like the Kronoses, Kurgans, Clays, or Graysons of the world. He was technically awesome, no doubt. But I just don't think he has the power level to defeat Kronos at his best.

Brian Cullen vs. Caspian

Caspian was a bit too reckless with his style, relying primarily on intimidation (by appearance or by numbers, with the Horsemen) rather than absolute skill. He almost certainly was never considered the finest duelist on an entire continent. Cullen was.

Silas vs. Rebecca Horne

Oof, this is tough. My gut says that it takes a cool, confident fighter to take out a brute like Silas, which is exactly what Methos was. Rebecca would be much the same. She wasn't as physically strong as Methos, so she might not be able to withstand Silas's heavy strikes as well as Methos did with Ivanhoe. But I think she would also be faster than Methos, so maybe she could dodge them and be OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
                          1. Yeah, although I want Duncan out I do not think Haresh Clay is the one to pull that off. It'll be close but Duncan probably still takes it. Winner: Duncan MacLeod
                          Problem is, I think Clay is the only one who has enough background that it makes sense for him to win. I think this was our chance.

Comment

• QUARTER-FINALS

Duncan MacLeod d. Haresh Clay
                            Otavio Consone d. Kronos
                            Brian Cullen d. Caspian
                            Rebecca Horne d. Silas

Comment

• SEMI-FINALS

Brian Cullen vs. Duncan MacLeod

Otavio Consone vs. Rebecca Horne

Comment

Problem is, I think Clay is the only one who has enough background that it makes sense for him to win. I think this was our chance.
                                I think Cullen would win if he wasn't drugged up.

Comment

SEMI-FINALS

1. Brian Cullen. Duncan only was able to barely win in the series. With Brian Cullen sober, Duncan has no chance.

2. Otavio Consone will win this.

Comment

• SEMI-FINALS

Had they fought in the 1800s before Brian went down the drain, he would have won. As is, Duncan basically turned into what Cullen was in modern day. I don't give Cullen any credit for anything he did in the modern day fight. He ran Duncan over with a van before the fight. Had Cullen continued on and not fallen on drugs, he could have won the prize. But as is, he made a choice based off a cowardice that Duncan doesn't have. VOTE: Duncan

Would need visuals on Rebecca to put her over Consone.
                                    VOTE: Consone

Comment

Prime Cullen means an 1800-ish Cullen vs. a 1998-ish prime Mac. Helluva fight, but Duncan takes it.

Consone, b/c visuals

Comment

• SEMI-FINALS

Duncan MacLeod - I have Cullen ranked pretty high, right behind Kurgan actually. In their prime, Duncan wins. But Duncan saw Brian in his prime and he knew Brian was legit. And when Duncan took that shot to the throat, that was straight up fear in his eyes. In a different time, I think Cullen could get the win. But against Duncan in his prime. Cullen doesn't and neither does anybody else.

Otavio Consone - I really don't see how Rebecca got this far, especially past Silas. Consone would cut her into ribbons. I sure don't see how Consone got past Kronos. It's a small matter. He is going to the finals here.
                                        "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

• SEMI FINAL RESULTS

1. Duncan MacLeod d. Brian Cullen
                                          2. Otavio Consone d. Rebecca Horne

Comment

• CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

1. Duncan MacLeod vs. Otavio Consone

Comment

• Seen it, voting Duncan.

Haresh Clay v Brian Cullen semi-final would have been interesting. Would have been fun to debate the winner of that v. Consone. My fault for putting the MacLeods in the tournament to begin with.

Comment

• Yeah, I do think things are more interesting without the MacLeods. Seems like when they're in, we have to manufacture ways to try to eliminate them, which goes against what these competitions/rankings should be about.

Anyway, Duncan over Consone. Again.

Comment

• I'll vote for Consone. Duncan won't pull a winning last ditch effort again, this time Consone will immobilise sufficiently.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X