• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan Wells vs. Connor MacLeod

Bernie Crimmins vs. Brian Cullen

Annie Devlin vs. Darius

Anthony Gallen vs. David Keogh

Connor, Cullen, Darius & Gallen advance!

Comment

• 2ND ROUND:

Alfred Cahill vs. Charles Browning

Axel Whittaker vs. Giovanni

Amanda vs. Ceirdwyn

Arthur Drakov vs. Carl Robinson

Comment

• Last two fights are actually really good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
          Last two fights are actually really good!
          Last 3! Cardinal Giovanni is no slouch.

2ND ROUND:

This will go to Cahill, mad as he is, his modern combat techniques will easily best Charles Browning.

Axel Whittaker vs. Cardinal Giovanni
          These are most likely 2 of the most selfishly arrogant immortals to cross swords.
          Cardinal Giovanni is on par with Methos in my book and would give Whittaker a run for his money.
          That being said, he's prone to temptation and that's a strategy Whittaker used successfully a lot, but without the aid of a female distraction Axel will lose.
          Winner: Cardinal Giovanni

Amanda vs. Ceirdwyn
          Amanda would take this fight. Ceirdwyn is good but rages too easy, Amanda would use that against her. Winner: Amanda

About evenly matched but Drakov has his physique against him. Carl is a sportsman and will have more stamina and therefore I think Carl will win this.
          Winner: ​​​​​​​Carl Robinson

May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

• 2ND ROUND:

Browning seemed sloppy at best, Cahill was trained in the military so I trust he's combat capable. He's not going to go too far but I think he will take Browning.
            VOTE: Cahill

Nicholas Ward, couldn't disagree with you more on this. Giovanni seems like a coward. I know he's old but that's all we know about him. He seems uncoordinated and we've never seen him really use a sword. That being said; yeah Axel was a cheater but man did you see how quick he was with his broad sword? Go back and watch that fight, he looked damn good and we know based off the # of heads he took he was pretty powerful. I think he trashes Giovanni. If he doesn't, I don't know enough about Giovanni to put him over a very capable fighter in Whittaker.
            VOTE: Axel Whittaker

Amanda vs. Ceirdwyn

This could go one of many ways. I feel like if they fought 100 times the win count would be close. As of the end of the main Highlander show Ceirdwyn would no doubt win but Amanda got really good on the Raven. I still think Ceirdwyn wins this but it could go either way.
            VOTE: Ceirdwyn

Copy and paste what Nicholas Ward said.
            VOTE: Carl Robinson

Comment

Alfred Cahill - He may have been a noob, but it was pretty obvious he had skill and training. I think he would win.

Giovanni - Without cheating, Axel is less than stellar.

Ceirdwyn - Might be entertaining for a bit until Ceirdwyn gets enough and kills Amanda

Arthur Drakov - Damn good fight here. I think Drakov is just slightly better.
              "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

2ND ROUND:

Nicholas Ward, couldn't disagree with you more on this. Giovanni seems like a coward. I know he's old but that's all we know about him. He seems uncoordinated and we've never seen him really use a sword. That being said; yeah Axel was a cheater but man did you see how quick he was with his broad sword? Go back and watch that fight, he looked damn good and we know based off the # of heads he took he was pretty powerful. I think he trashes Giovanni. If he doesn't, I don't know enough about Giovanni to put him over a very capable fighter in Whittaker.
                VOTE: Axel Whittaker

He also challenged Methos without hestitation, knowing fully who he was. He's no coward but extremely selfish and, like Methos, sports a hidden blade.
                The wiki claims that in the script Giovanni served under Darius & Grayson as well as the Kurgan and was a Knight's Templar (maybe someone who has seen the script can verify or deny this?)

Axel is good but not THAT good.

Comment

• 1. Cahill - Agree with Slash; Cahill was pretty good despite his age. Meanwhile, Browning was extremely poor despite his age.
                  2. Whittaker - I agree with Ward that circumstantial evidence might give Giovanni an advantage, but the fact that we never saw him one-on-one really hurts him in my eyes. We saw Axel and he was excellent. Only reason he lost his head is because Duncan had the good fortune to come out of the water first (because he's the main character, LOL).
                  3. Ceirdwyn - I was never all that impressed with Amanda's swordarm, even after her turn in the Raven. Ceirdwyn was a badass warrior woman, so I'm giving her the nod.
                  4. Drakov - Sure he didn't look like much but he showed some decent skill. Carl, while obviously athletic, didn't strike me as all that adept with a blade.

Comment

• Got a couple of ties!

Comment

• So either we can duke it out and try to talk someone into flipping or we wait for a tie breaker. I'm pretty set on Whittaker beating Giovanni but I could switch from Carl to Drakov. Gut tells me Carl would win but Drakov DID disarm Duncan so ... while I don't think he's anywhere near as athletic as Carl, he's not bad with a sword. If someone will agree to switch from Gio to Axel I'll switch from Carl to Drakov.

Comment

• I know that Slash frowns on Axel for his cheating, but there wasn't any cheating involved in his final fight with Duncan (once Michelle was out of harms way). Tell me he didn't look really good in that fight, and you wouldn't take that skill level against an unknown quantity like Giovanni? (if you can't tell, I'm not flipping on this fight anytime soon, lol)
                        Last edited by JedimstrCR; 08-18-2017, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• You can have Drakov, it's not like he'll get much further anyway. Giovanni however is superior to Whittaker.

Comment

• I actually think Carl would beat Drakov. So I don't WANT to change that. I agree that Axel was a cheater but he was REALLY good at it. Xavier St. Cloud was a cheater too - he had henchmen shoot people so he could take their heads; it's even worse than what Axel did. I think Axel took enough heads (his bio says over 50 with Sharon alone!) he had become very powerful and that's why when he fought Duncan he came across very well. He was super quick and even got a shot in on Duncan.

I get that Giovanni MAYBE was good but we literally have nothing on him as a swordsman. According to his bio it says "According to the film's script, Giovanni was present at the fall of Rome to the Visigoths under Darius and Grayson, and The Kurgan." Again, that doesn't mean he was heavily involved in combat. He means he was was there. He's old, for sure. He is probably above average even though he looked sloppy from what we saw but we also know that sometimes that's on the actor not being athletic or having any sword background.

That being said, after reading his bio I'm more convinced that Giovanni has been a "behind the scenes" type of character. That doesn't mean he can't take care of himself but Axel was an avid head hunter. I know he cheated a lot but when he had to fight Duncan cleanly he put up a great fight. I really wish I could find a clip of that scene.

Comment

• I hoped you'd fancy a trade but I should've known better.

Head hunters are hunting the trodden paths to get to the behind the scene characters. Tyler king was a head hunter and he hunted the weak, misguided others like Laszlo hunted too. So that's not a real argument. However I'd guess that protection from holy ground would be the next item to be discussed to discredit Giovanni. He left that and held his own perfectly in the fight on the dock without getting injured. Giovanni IS in the same league as Methos. And he has the age, experience and dirty tactics to overcome most foes. Petty tactics of Whittaker's calibre would do nothing against him.

And he gets bonus points for his hair

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicholas Ward View Post
                                And he gets bonus points for his hair
                                I would deduct points for the hair.

Comment

• Originally posted by JedimstrCR View Post

I would deduct points for the hair.
                                  Me too. Alright, I'm going to instill a new rule. If a fight ends in a tie, both are out! Double beheading! lol. Midnight, Sunday night and all four are out.

Comment

Me too. Alright, I'm going to instill a new rule. If a fight ends in a tie, both are out! Double beheading! lol. Midnight, Sunday night and all four are out.
                                    That's a dumb rule. Especially since Drakov now has the 3-1 advantage.
                                    Why not ask a couple of the other active members?

dubiousbystander , Andrew NDB , Colleengael , Tootsie Bee , Wilusa , von Møllet , Gardner
                                    your opinion is needed on the subject of who would win if Cardinal Giovanni and Axel Whittaker fought to the death.

Comment

• Colleengael
                                      Colleengael commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Axle because he was active in the game. While many of his targets were new immortals we do know that he used his proteges to help incapacitate the more experienced immortals. I think he would have beaten the older Giovanni who was hiding out on holy ground for centuries. We never actually had much info about the Cardinal's actual experience.

• Me? Well. In theory, Giovanni is one of the last Immortals (because why are the Watchers finished? Because there are so few Immortals left to Watch). Giovanni would have taken Axel, unless bad luck struck.

I think sometimes we aren't served well by what we see onscreen, whether in the TV show or a movie. Mako should have taken Richie, but for bad luck, for example. It's a hard stretch to believe that Giovanni was anything other than skilled, and so I think by "story" standards, that proximity to the Source and finding himself vulnerable probably made him hysterical. Methos, being 5,000 or so, beat the heck out of there. If he'd stayed, he might have been forced to fight Duncan. Duncan was pure (because story), and the influence of the Source could not make him turn on the others. He only defended himself.

Comment

• When immortals spend most of their time on holy ground, it's not all that surprising that they last longer than they might otherwise. I don't have much faith in the cardinal for this match, even if we take away Whittaker's trademark manipulative advantage.
                                      __________________________________________________

"Really? We are trapped in a room with a machine that can cut off my head. Now that's a longshot."
                                      --Connor MacLeod in Peter Bellwood's original Highlander II script

Comment

• Originally posted by Tootsie Bee View Post
                                        When immortals spend most of their time on holy ground, it's not all that surprising that they last longer than they might otherwise. I don't have much faith in the cardinal for this match, even if we take away Whittaker's trademark manipulative advantage.

This. Holy ground is a great place for "religious" Immortals like Giovanni to go way past their sell-by date. To his credit, he was willing to fight when push came to shove and it didn't seem like rust was too much of an issue. Still, I can't find myself voting for him based on circumstantial evidence when I have a concrete example of Whittaker's skill.

Comment

• And yet Kalas is held in high regard.

Giovanni knew how to fight and had no problem going on a dangerous quest. Like dubiousbystander said:
                                          Giovanni would have taken Axel, unless bad luck struck.

Comment

• Alright, I have another solution since the "both are eliminated" policy isn't popular. I'm going to switch them around and reset the matches.

Comment

• 2ND ROUND:

Alfred Cahill d. Charles Browning
                                              Ceirdwyn d. Amanda

TIES:

Comment

• ROUND 2

Alexis Raven vs. Claude Deveraux

Benny Carbassa vs. Bryce Korland

Andrew Donelly vs. Caspian

Anton Legris vs. Carlo Sendaro

Axel Whittaker vs. Arthur Drakov

Cardinal Giovanni vs. Carl Robinson

Comment

Claude Deveraux - I think he lost because he and Felice were in a small room. In an open area, it would be a different story, just like this fight.

Bryce Korland

Caspian

Carlo Sendaro

Arthur Drakov - Sticking to my votes from the last round.

Cardinal Giovanni - Again, same as the last round. I am willing to listen to reasons why I should change my mind.
                                                  "It's Rock & Roll. If you aren't breaking some sort of law, then you are doing it wrong." - me, answering a bandmate's question of what would happen if someone called the law on us for playing too loud at an outdoor show.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X