X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander Rewatched: 3-9 Shadows

NEW EPISODE ALERT!
    https://soundcloud.com/highlander-rewatched/3-9-shadows
    When Duncan suffers recurring nightmares of the Ghost of Christmas Future taking his head, Mac goes to his gargoyle-carving pal John Garrick for advice. The Rewatchers debate municipal art shows, tally Bruce Lee's arsenal of weapons, and wonder why Anne doesn't dump Mac.

You could also make one topic for the Rewatchers instead of creating a new one each week.

I enjoyed the earlier episodes more than the later ones. The are getting too long for my liking. The earlier episodes were 45 min to an hour. The later ones just keep dragging on with often completely non relevant banter resulting in needlessly long episodes.

But I'm glad you have a larger following and receive a lot of reader mail which in turn will provide you with new material. Keep up the good work! (but in smaller segments)
    May flights of Demons guide you to your final rest...

Comment

I haven't really sat down and watched the show in many years. After listening to a few of your shows while out of runs I pulled out my DVDs. I meant to just watch Shadows and then watch along with you guys but go sucked back in and started marathoning them.

You have definitely opened my eyes to a facet of Mac and Anne's relationship I didn't pick up on when I was a kid watching the show. I'm still not a big fan of the Anne character, but I feel for her now that I see the relationship differently.

Comment

SouthernChickie, my life experiences, even back then, had some rough spots that made me focus almost immediately on Duncan as the not-maliciously gaslighting man. I recently came to think perhaps the problems so many seem to have with Anne is NOT with her character... it is with the fact that their relationship feels wrong, as Duncan has "to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual, hoping to make target question their own memory, perception, and sanity." This makes Duncan a horrible boyfriend, and keeps highlighting things that most people would think are wrong for a man to do to a woman. (And a woman to do to a man, but I'm talking about Duncan and Anne.) So this story makes us feel that Duncan is wrong, BUT he's our sexy hot adorable romantic tormented-by-loss-of-Tessa hero, so we don't want him to be wrong. Thus it must be nasty Anne's fault! How dare she ask perfectly normal questions for people in relationships?

And then, of course, Duncan never told Anne, even after she knew about immortality, that Kenny was a threat... When Anne chose to leave Duncan rather than trying to raise her child with him, she gave him the proverbial "It's not you, it's me," speech. I believe she's being incredibly kind when she does this, because it isn't HER. It's him. The truth is not necessarily that she might become a person who wishes people dead. Thugs tried to shoot him. A man after Duncan faked her signature and murdered her friend, framing her for it. And that was BEFORE she found out he was Immortal. Duncan can not protect her. He can not protect the child. If she stayed with him, unless the writers work very hard at it (i.e. Duncan and Tessa lived together for over a decade with, apparently, only one challenge that Tessa never knew about), they would not be able to make the stories feel real unless she and her child come under threat from evil Immortals.

Comment

• SouthernChickie
          SouthernChickie commented
          Editing a comment
          Bystander,

The more I rewatch the show the more I agree with you.  I even recently found myself hesitant to call what Mac was doing "gaslighting" even though it perfectly fits the definition.  I didn't want to assign that attribute to him because he's the good guy, the hero, the main character.  

I always struggled with why I disliked Anne and always figured it was mostly "She's not Tessa" and my pre-teen brain couldn't handle the information fully.  Now I'm really inclined to just keep your explanation close at hand because I think you hit the nail on the head.  The relationship made us uncomfortable because it was unhealthy and we just didn't want to have to blame the hero for it so it must be the woman's fault.  It also poses some serious questions about victim-blaming and and also placing the onus at the feet of the woman in the relationship.  "If she'd just stop asking questions of Mac everything would be fine! How dare she want to know more about her boyfriend? How dare she worry about his sanity! He's the hero.  He's a man.  Silence, Woman!"  

We are privy to the top-secret information and judge her based off our knowledge and not her's. 

I feel like I'm rewatching a very different show than I remember.  In a way I am.

• dubiousbystander
          dubiousbystander commented
          Editing a comment
          HUG! This realization only came to me recently. Before that, I didn't really know why I came down on Anne's side, nor did I have a concrete response to why others disliked her, except of course that "She's not Tessa."

Highlander Rewatched continue to be quite busy! They're almost reached the end of Season 6!

Also they made a Facebook playlist for the videos that go with the podcast.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/15829...1536294892132/

Comment

Working...
        X