How do some people manage to survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do some people manage to survive?

Humans are the stupidest species on the planet. For proof I refer to the hoarding of toilet paper. It has been discussed as being a result of fear about the virus. It has to be the stupidest reaction to a situation I have ever seen. Even after it has been discussed and proven to be not necessary, people are still clearing the shelves every day. Shortages of food can be expected as workers are staying home and some businesses temporarily shutting down. I expect to have problems buying fresh eggs and veggies due to supply problems, but why the ever loving hell are idiots still hoarding TP? Hoarding behavior is disgusting anyway, proving that the majority of people are selfish jerks.
    Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

I saw an op ed from some sociologist explaining the toilet paper phenomenon. He claimed it had to do with the perception of it as a necessity to civilization, and when confronted with a dramatic negative change in the presumed norm, it is always one of the first things to sell out, as its erroneously prioritized within a mob like hysteria. He then went on to point out that such things happen on smaller scales whenever evacuation orders are given due to hurricanes or what not, and how after catastrophes looters tend to clear out the toilet paper isles before clearing out most other products. Kind of interesting. Completely unnecessary, but interesting nonetheless.

Comment

On the other hand, I presently have more toilet paper than usual. I have now sent rolls of toilet paper to two different friends in Tokyo, where they could find none in the stores.

Comment

• ~mj~
        ~mj~ commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! Good of you !

Panic begets panic, I guess. There are certain things you just don't want to be without. I was able to stumble upon some TP at Walgreens the other day. There was a limit of 2 packs per customer. Got one for my household and gave the other to my son's family. My daughter-in-law said it was like Christmas getting it! And bless your generosity, Dub. I'm sure your friends much appreciated it.

This made me laugh out loud.

WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

• ~mj~
        ~mj~ commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I don't panic easily...but if I were going to panic, it would be bags of coffee beans all 'round...

On that note I'm down to five rolls of the good stuff and four of the storebrand.

Enough to last me the month granted, but if I see the good stuff when I pop my nose out on Thursday for groceries rum-straight I'm grabbing a pack. Because the mass stupidity is still going. (& how does that contribute to the continued problem?)

Comment

• ~mj~
        ~mj~ commented
        Editing a comment
        We have to go to HEB at 8am when the truck comes in and line up. For TP. SMH....

LOL. There was a time when we'd playfully post things like what color underwear are you wearing, or what color nail polish or what did you have for dinner. Now it's how many rolls of toilet paper are you down to?

~mj~, regarding your 8 a.m. run to HEB, that's particularly crummy for us non-morning persons whose closest grocery/HEB is 22 miles away.
      WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

Underwear- grey (Yes, I'm matchy-matchy even when I stay at home.)

Nailpolish- clear anti-peel

Dinner- fish sticks and mini cucumbers

TP- 2 rolls. (But I have no concerns about finding some. Sobeys is even offering points with purchase of TP.)

Comment

underwear - black
          nail polish - none
          dinner - bean soup, egg crepe, vegetables
          toilet paper - 2 rolls

Comment

underwear - taupe
            nail polish - none
            dinner - broiled shrimp
            toilet paper - 45 rolls ($20 big box store bulk pak)

I'm very grateful to have reached the point in life where I can afford to buy in bulk what were once luxury purchases... TP, paper towels, garbage bags, aluminum foil, laundry detergent (instead of the tiny increments my once near-poverty budget would allow). It is a small thing but it is a wonderful thing and I give a silent thanks for that good fortune every time. No, I'm not kidding.

Comment

Just went shopping so
              tp - 12 pack
              dinner - quesadillas
              nail polish - none
              knickers - batgirl

Comment

underwear - dark blue
                nail polish - none
                dinner - two pieces of super delicious chicken karaage, and five nummy gyoza.
                toilet paper - A lot. Probably more than 48 rolls right now.

Comment

underwear - black
                  nail polish - none
                  dinner - bean soup
                  toilet paper - I think 1 roll? Too lazy to get up and check

This is hilarious, because my previous post was almost exactly the same thing.

Comment

underwear-grey
                    nail polish- none. (But bad cuticles.)
                    dinner- bulk-size lasagna in the oven. I'm planning to eat half of it.
                    toilet paper- 9 rolls, thus good past new year's.

With our numbers up and the authorities increasing restrictions (I have to pop on a mask to walk down an empty hall to check my mail) I'm putting bulk purchases in the freezer- pork chops, chicken. When they were on for a dollar I grabbed an absurd number of cans of tomato, and thus the cupboard is quite full.

Comment

All this talk about how we're seeing how well people are when coming together to fight this epidemic makes me laugh! Especially here in the UK where it's always been I'm Alright Jack!
                      JB

Comment

Yeah, the COVID-19 cases are spiking everywhere. There are new restrictions here too, although they don't affect me much personally since I've been wearing a mask pretty much every time I step out the front door anyway regardless of what the official rules are.

underwear - rhassoul red
                        nail polish - none
                        dinner - not sure what I will have for dinner yet, but it was pepperoni pizza for lunch
                        toilet paper - 2 rolls (I did have only 1 last time and I restocked the next day and got 2)

Comment

underwear- turquoise
                          nailpolish- brownish sorta metallic
                          dinner- rice bowl (last of the ground turkey, bok choy, shredded carrots)
                          toilet paper- 6 rolls

After reporting no deaths for two weeks there's all of a sudden a 'whoopsie, we forgot to reset something at the beginning of the year, revise that to 9.' yesterday. Now today the auditors dug harder and found some more records, and hey, there may be seven times what's reported. (Excess deaths compared to pre-covid normal looks fishy.)

Comment

Working...
                          X