The Missiles of North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Missiles of North Korea

So awhile back I was watching a YouTube clip where some guy was talking about how the sails on North Korean submarines are tall and that it was because they needed that to launch missiles. He explained that they could put two missiles into the sail which was the only way to fit the height of the missile inside of the sub. American and Russian boomers are much larger and carry more missiles in the body of the sub. I shrugged it off as being "click bait" or a "conspiracy theory." But then I was watching the regular news showing a NK test and I saw the missile was shoved upwards mechanically or by compressed air a bit more than its own height before igniting its rocket motor. That would be similar to what our boomers do. Our guys can launch while submerged, but it suddenly hit me that they might be able to put missiles on subs meaning they don't need the range we're worried about them developing. I don't know that they could launch a nuke that way, but it is still scary.

North Korea is about as intimidating as Justin Bieber.
    It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

And they just ran a news story tonight about a missile test our navy had to demonstrate a counter measure missile being launched to intercept an incoming missile. They stressed that today's test by the USA was scheduled months ago and not in response to the Koreans. Usually those tests are kept quiet.

Comment

I think their leader wants us to believe he's crazy, but I don't think he wants to die.

Comment

He needs a better hairstylist.
          It's getting funky up in herre!

Midnight Rambler formerly known as...

Comment

He needs a psychiatrist...
            Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

We've had a 747 that is a flying laser cannon designed to shoot them down for over a decade. I'm sure progress hasn't stopped. What they don't know can hurt them.

Comment

• Saber Dog
                Saber Dog commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey there Drak. If they are sub mounted, there won't be much flight time. What we can hope for is that there is a hunter/killer American sub right behind them authorized to shoot if they make a move to launch. I'm less worried about the long range ones with long flight times.

Watch the launch at 34 seconds in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rH-2dOYlc

Apparently, they don't need to surface. Watch at 1:55 in this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7rH-2dOYlc

There is a book: "Royal Misbehavior: Crazy Kings and Kooky Queens" which is a very funny read. It it there is a princess the author describes as a lovely woman except she claimed to have once swallowed a crystal piano. He said there was no accounting for this except for the fact that insanity ran through her family "like water down a steep hill."

But I don't think this guy is nuts. What he's been doing has been working for him for several administrations.

Comment

• Perfect Warrior
                Perfect Warrior commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, not nuts. Totalitarian. & they see how the USA mucks around in the middle east and plot how to get across a reaction of 'F! no, you aren't doing that here.' They're pulling that off indeed.

Originally posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
              North Korea is about as intimidating as Justin Bieber.
              Justin Bieber is very intimidating..that's why I stay in the states.
              Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

Diesel torpedo subs, midget subs that get snagged in fishing nets and some obsolete Chinese subs bought for scrap ( the ones big enough to hold Polaris missiles). I think a covert, silent war would be perfect. Subs just go missing.

Hey Saber!
                Last edited by Draknoir2; 06-02-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

During the Cold War an American sub accidentally collided with a Russian sub. The Americans thought they heard the Russian sub sink. The public noticed dents on the American sub when it returned to base and the Navy put out a story that it had collided with an iceberg. But the Russian sub also managed to limp home and the crew saw the cover story in the paper. To the headline "American Sub Collides with 'Berg" they added "Iceberg Crew Safe!"

Comment

Plausible deniability.

Comment

It seems the North Koreans celebrated July Fourth with a missile that can reach nearly all of Alaska. The Chinese and the Russians think they should be awarded by the US canceling a training exercise.

Comment

This is nauseatingly cyclical, the North Korea situation.
                        Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/31/more-t...-site-7041512/

Apparently 200 dead in a tunnel collapse in North Korea at their nuclear site?
                          Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

And it could cause a radiation leak impacting China... Maybe the Chinese will have a chat with them.

Comment

Apparently today's missile test could reach the entire US. Next they'll be trying to get a nuclear warhead to be able to survive reentry.

Comment

I thought yesterday's was straight up, way way up, and back down. So they've already done a reentry test for the delivery system. (& why the heck did MSN figure that was breaking news? I'm reading along and this red banner goes across the top of the page.)

Comment

It was more or less straight up. But it went so high that had they used a flatter trajectory it could have reached DC. I didn't hear anything about the payload, so it might also have been exceptionally light. Pretty much everything we've ever put up eventually comes down. The question is if they can get a warhead to reenter and still function.

Comment

Ever click on the "Are you sure" button by mistake? Somebody in Hawaii did. In the long run, it might be a good thing. Not everything worked as intended. Hopefully, they get the bugs worked out.

Comment

Working...
                                    X