The Age of Outrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Age of Outrage

Basically, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson outraged animal rights people when he posted some pictures with his family at an aquarium.

See the article here:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/695858...gram-aquarium/
    Highlander: Dark Places

Yeah. I have some friends who are,um, over the top a bit. I do understand the process of their feelings, but sometimes those feelings obviously get in the way of their sense.

Comment

I had to quit a "discussion" group for it getting ridiculous. It was basically a bash board directed at men, whites and Trump.
      Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

Originally posted by Haplo View Post
        I had to quit a "discussion" group for it getting ridiculous. It was basically a bash board directed at men, whites and Trump.
        It happens.
        Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

It happens.
          The saddest part to me was it was mostly white people in there and several men..so much self hate
          Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

I see no problems with most aquariums. Many of them are filled with rescue animals who are recovering from injuries. They are staffed with trained vets and marine biologists who care for the animals and release them back into the wild when they can. The care in aquariums has also helped several species grow their populations up again and saved them from the endangered list.

I do have a problem with environmental and animal rights zealots. Many let their emotions rule over common sense or science. One of the rescue groups in my area was convincing high school students to "rescue" dogs by having the kids break into homes and take the dogs while the owners were at work. Problem was the dogs weren't abused...just rare breeds that were then being sold to someone who wanted that breed of dog. The rescue shelter got busted when some of the teens got caught and spilled the beans.
            Last edited by Colleengael; 10-25-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

My sister has a membership at the Georgia Aquarium. She takes her kids there frequently and they love it. I don't have a problem with fish in an aquarium, but I have mixed feelings about intelligent animals like sea lions and whales. If they are kept in social groups, similar to how they live in the wild, I think they are better able to cope with captive conditions.

Regarding The Rock enjoying a visit with his family, that's fine with me.

Comment

I’m of the opinion that Outrage, as it is being spoken of here, has very little to do with whatever the topic is supposed to be. The Outrage Mob is better understood as performance theater… a sort of collective role play that allows cruel and narcissistic people to get off on projecting the worst aspects of their personality onto strangers. This allows them to inflict disproportional punishment for some minor transgression and do it under a pretense of piety and righteousness.

I suppose such people have always been with us but it wasn’t until social media infected our lives that such people could so easily (and gleefully) ruin lives over mundane things. Because that’s what good people do, obviously.

Comment

• ~mj~
                ~mj~ commented
                Editing a comment
                We seem to live in the age of rage. People need some perspective...

Someone said that with the Australian wildfires ongoing, pretty soon koalas could be effectively extinct in the wild, who then but zoos and their breeding programmes to restore the little buggers. Zoos and aquariums serve a very real and necessary purpose it's not all about cute things in a cage/tank. It's about species survival, but the professionally outraged do not want to hear it. What do they think happened to the large animals that circuses could no longer keep once they'd been law suited into oblivion? It's not a happy ending.
              https://www.bedlamfarm.com/2017/01/1...ers-elephants/

Comment

I am of the likely unpopular opinion that zoos and public aquariums need to go away. Animal sanctuaries with breeding and repopulation programs are excellent and very necessary. I object strongly to having animals on show doing tricks for an audience. The animals may be well looked after, but I consider it abusive to contain animals and have them perform for the public. There are very clear distinctions between pets and wild animals and we need to leave the wildlife in the wild as much as possible.
                Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Working...
                X