What Projects Are You All Working On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Projects Are You All Working On?

For whatever reason I've found that this forum has always attracted a particularly creative group of people who always seem to have some project or other on the go. What are you working on right now?

There are days when I wish that I really didn't have to sleep. There are so many things that I want to get done and there's just so little time in the day. I write fantasy fiction and run a YouTube channel as standard. Lately I've started work on creating a campaign for a game that, while fairly old now, still has a very active community, which makes my efforts worthwhile.

I like hearing about other people's projects because I've found that even if I don't have an interest in those areas myself, I tend to get inspired by creative people talking about what they're working on. If I feel a little uninspired I find it helps to hear other people being enthusiastic about their own projects.
    Formerly known as "Quickening"

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Whenever National Novel Writing Month ( www.NaNoWriMo.org ) issues one of their dares I tend to try- but I'm not ending up with finished manuscripts. Digging through my old Fanfics that`s a nasty habit I've had for a long time- not finishing stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Warrior View Post
      Whenever National Novel Writing Month ( www.NaNoWriMo.org ) issues one of their dares I tend to try- but I'm not ending up with finished manuscripts. Digging through my old Fanfics that`s a nasty habit I've had for a long time- not finishing stories.
      Oh I know that feeling! I've never even attempted NANO yet, but here in the UK there's a university that offers an annual competition to find the best novella. This is great for me because for some reason I always end up writing novellas which I find are typically too long for some, and not long enough for others. Last year I didn't win the competition or even come close, but I did meet the deadline, and that was all I set out to do. Although I do end up finishing my stories, I have a real George Lucas thing about being unable to resist tinkering with them after the fact. In that sense my stories are never really finished haha.

My latest video in which I visit an ancient broch and cairns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxY2hYR6GXw

Comment

Next month, shooting "Highlander: Hans Kirschner," a 10 minute short with F. Braun McAsh. Very much looking forward to that.
        Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
          Next month, shooting "Highlander: Hans Kirschner," a 10 minute short with F. Braun McAsh. Very much looking forward to that.
          Very nice. Seems you've got some great contacts these days. I started this topic with "Highlander: Dark Places" on my mind as the perfect example of the kind of creative endeavour that I'm talking about.

Comment

My project list

1)Finish a quilt for my niece made from her old basketball jerseys. This requires extra backing and sewing because many of the shirts come with ventilation holes in the fabric. So it is like making two quilts at one time to keep the batting from coming out.
            2) Carving a wooden elephant for a present.
            3) Creating some Highlander themed art pieces to send to LA for The Gathering if they have an auction.
            4) Making needlepoint Christmas ornaments. I do them all year long in order to get all of them done in time for Christmas.
            5) Restringing old necklaces from my mother and grandmothers. I want to have them ready for a family reunion auction.
            6) Repairing some afghans my mother made.
            7) Repairing a used clarinet I found at a yard sale
            8) Decluttering my closest
            9) Carving a chess set
            10) Creating character themed collages and boxes using some of my Highlander cards.

As you can see...I work on many projects at the same time.
            😃

Comment

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
              My project list

1)Finish a quilt for my niece made from her old basketball jerseys. This requires extra backing and sewing because many of the shirts come with ventilation holes in the fabric. So it is like making two quilts at one time to keep the batting from coming out.
              I find these ones particularly adorable. Arts and crafts seems to be your theme. Wish I had some talent in that area.

Comment

• Colleengael
                Colleengael commented
                Editing a comment
                I always recycle and repurpose things. I guess it comes from having a gram who lived through several world wars and the depression. She also taught us to repair, reuse, repurpose, recycle or resell before tossing things out.

Now that the weather is getting warmer my knitting is packed away. It gets too hot to create new afghans in warm weather. Repairing the snags and loose knots is easier but time consuming. You have to stretch it out over the table and carefully rework the yarn until you can tie off or splice in the repair. Then you have to slowly work it back into line of even stitches again. Some of the afghans are decades old and are still great for snuggling. I am trying to repair them as a final request mom made before she died. Same thing with the necklaces.

Originally posted by Colleengael View Post
              My project list

3) Creating some Highlander themed art pieces to send to LA for The Gathering if they have an auction.
              4) Making needlepoint Christmas ornaments. I do them all year long in order to get all of them done in time for Christmas.
              5) Restringing old necklaces from my mother and grandmothers. I want to have them ready for a family reunion auction.
              6) Repairing some afghans my mother made.
              7) Repairing a used clarinet I found at a yard sale
              8) Decluttering my closest
              9) Carving a chess set
              10) Creating character themed collages and boxes using some of my Highlander cards.

As you can see...I work on many projects at the same time.
              😃
              Im exhausted just by reading this. Good luck!

Comment

• Colleengael
                Colleengael commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I try to spend an hour each week on each project on my list.
                The secret to decluttering the closest is to ask yourself if you have used it in the last year? Can you repurpose it into something else? Can it be recycled or donated for someone else to use.

Old sweaters that you don't wear make great covers for throw pillows or tote bags. You can also use the sleeves to make mittens and hats which I usually donate to the winter clothing drive. I have also taken them apart to reuse the yarn on another project.

Old jeans can be reused too. One of my favorite uses is to reuse the legs when you cut them off to make lumbar pillows. Or you can make purses.

Every so often, I take the things I have repurposed and sell them at the flea market or to a few boutiques.

I used to repurpose old furniture but the new landlord isn't to keen on that. So...smaller projects instead.

My latest project was making big and tall heavy duty custom nerd tees, with help from another HLBB member and the DTG guy at work. I did have to dye the ringers since they didn't come in yellow and black, so I guess I did help.
              Last edited by Draknoir2; 05-23-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• SouthernChickie
                SouthernChickie commented
                Editing a comment
                DUDE! I have people ask for big and tall shirts at work all the time. (The largest we carry is a standard XXL). When you launch, let me know and I'll let my customers know where to go!

• Draknoir2
                Draknoir2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Not a business venture - I was just disappointed with the quality of the nerd shirts out there so I purchased my own 2XLT heavyweight shirts and printed them on one of my machines. The DTG guy does that for us if he's not busy and we provide the shirts and artwork. I'm happy with the results.

I've been working on a fantasy saga series of novels now for years. I'm currently a few thousand pages in and nowhere near finished. It feels more like my lifelong project.

Comment

So, if anyone asks you, Quakerism is like being in the Girl Scouts.: if you make a suggestion or complain about something, you find yourself on a committee. The clerk of our local meeting noticed an irregularity in the Yearly Meeting budget and now we're both on time sucking committees.
                “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                Billy Sunday

Comment

Sounds like the Anglican church, Cool. I ended up on vestry by shrugging when someone nominated me. That was back in the '90s. When half the choir was half the vestry we got new choir robes.

Comment

Trying to get some grass growing in my little front yard, lately.

Comment

• Colleengael
                      Colleengael commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Remember to cover the grass seed with straw for extra natural fertilizer. And try to keep the kids and pets from playing there. Good luck.

• Andrew NDB
                      Andrew NDB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's a battle. I've caught people trying to use it as a turnaround in their cars.

• Colleengael
                      Colleengael commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A neighbor had people cutting across his lawn because it was a corner lot. He ended up placing rocks around the edges with a succulent and cactus rock garden. It stopped people from cutting across his grass. A border with big flower pots and shrubs works too. Have fun with your daughter and make topiary shrubs in the pots.

Trying to get off the ground with two stories I want to write. I've written three novel-length stories since my last tenure in the HLBB but really want to get these other, vastly different tales going.

Other than that, I'm about 7-8 years in (I honestly don't remember at this point) on a Highlander related project. Was considering getting input from members here but there's no real section for it nor do I know who would be able to help out on this... so I'm back to trying to do it in my non-existent free time.

Comment

Originally posted by n107 View Post
                      Other than that, I'm about 7-8 years in (I honestly don't remember at this point) on a Highlander related project. Was considering getting input from members here but there's no real section for it nor do I know who would be able to help out on this... so I'm back to trying to do it in my non-existent free time.
                      Do tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Do tell.

It's a game. The design is pretty much done and I could be in prototype stage if only I had time to sit down and get it all together. I've been trying for years to bounce ideas off of another person who would understand and appreciate the material just to get another perspective. But everyone I tell about it dies shortly after.

Or something like that.

Comment

• Coolwater
                          Coolwater commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Does a bendy grunge climb out of their TVs and kill them?

I belong to an online support group for caregivers of those affected by Alzheimers and other dementias. Without going into a lot of detail it's a very isolating disease for both patient and caregiver. Online contact has been a lifesaver, but there's also something exciting about getting a card in the mail, especially for those still in the early stages of the disease. So a group of us started sending birthday, get well, anniversary,cards etc to each other, our loved ones with Alzheimers/dementia and clients at a small adult daycare.
                        Getting it organized and up and running has been taking up a lot of my time but is very fulfilling.

Comment

• ~mj~
                          ~mj~ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wonderful work!

• Coolwater
                          Coolwater commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Really good, Rio!

I have been getting the new(ish) house organized,other than that needlework and sampler research. Got my name in a highly regarded sampler collection book, just as a thank you, but I was chuffed!
                        Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

Trying to get off the ground with two stories I want to write. I've written three novel-length stories since my last tenure in the HLBB but really want to get these other, vastly different tales going.

The option of starting a group is available; you could discuss it there. (You'll probably get some pretty bad suggestions, but you can ignore them.)
                          Billy Sunday

Comment

• Coolwater
                            Coolwater commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Or make fun of them. But only if the slurs are funny and not TOO mean.

My "big project" I just wrapped up was recycling several (11) - 5 gallon I guess, they're fairly big - vegetable oil containers. The small store up the street is forever throwing them out and I needed something to try growing tomatoes & peppers in. I also planted a few squash and cucumbers too.

I have pretty much lost most of my prime veggie patch spots since the neighbor put their HVAC unit where the best spot used to be located. Hey, none of the previous neighbors minded, especially when I gave them the extras. The other spot the shade tree has grown over, over the years. So I cut off the container tops, washed them out, and poked holes in the bottom for drainage. Spray painted the outsides, then used stencils to decorate them. Didn't turn out too badly if I do say so myself.
                          May The Winds Be With You, while I'm searchin' for my lost shaker of salt. Makin' for the Trades on the outside. Lookin' for the Southern Cross. (J.Buffett 77/74)
                          "Yeah, It's all fun and games until somebody gets Cursed," Sheriff Jack Carter ~ Eureka.

Comment

It's July. Which means it's July Camp at www.NaNoWriMo.org Mmmph. Now what should I set as my goal this month?

Comment

• Coolwater
                              Coolwater commented
                              Editing a comment
                              A little something on the page each day?

The committees are in hiatus, so it's back to work on the rain garden. This is year three. The idea is to make a basin with draining soil and plants that suck up water and pollutants from the road drainage, so the crud doesn't run into the river (or our basement). Last year at this time, it looked like a scraggly weed bed, but this year it looks like a lush meadow with birds bunnies, foraging weiner dogs and butterflies. If I could get some larger evergreens to screen us from the neighbors I'd be in heaven, but I've just lost two young hemlocks and a rhododendron.
                            Billy Sunday

Comment

I've started working on a fitness/weight loss book. The goal is to have it done and ready for final edit/publish in a year. I'm basically hoping to start a brand (twitter, blog/website, facebook...)

I'm part of a couple charity running groups so I'm doing various races and raising money for different charities (we've raised nearly 1 million dollars since we started a couple years ago).

Of course, fanfiction is an ongoing project for me. Right now I'm doing Stargate, but may get back into Highlander, soon.

Comment

I'm always willing to hear more! I'm not all that much use to people, because of where I live.

Comment

Working...
                                X