Regeneration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regeneration

So, everybody knows that a flatworm regenerates itself if it is injured, from a new tail to a new head. Recently, however, it has been discovered that an injured flat worm will regenerate badly if it is hit with drugs or electricity while it is trying to regenerate. This does not bode well for an injured immortal hit with a flashy Quickening...

“A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
    Billy Sunday

Yes, but Immortals don't get new heads, at least if their neck's are severed.

Comment

What happens if an immortal is lobotomized? Even if the destroyed neurons grow back, it seems probable that there would be permanent memory loss and changes in personality.

Comment

Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
        Yes, but Immortals don't get new heads, at least if their neck's are severed.
        True. No pushmepullyou immortals.

Cyrus, (Hi Cyrus!) I don't see why. Whatever the immortal has before he is injured or killed, is what he has when he recovers, right?
        Billy Sunday

Comment

Anne mentioned that Duncan had no scars. But Kurgan, Kalas and Kane each had scars on their necks from near misses. Kronos had the facial scar which he supposedly got before his first death as an immortal. But that is an inconsistency from the writers. Amanda also had a head wound for her first death but no major scar so... nothing is set in stone. It is all speculation on our part.

I do believe that part of an Immortal's healing ability comes from having an elevated white cell count. Those are the ones that fight infection and accelerate healing.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
            dubiousbystander commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's all the Quickening. The power is independent of the body, connected to it in the neck. Oooh, now there's a thought. Only if a cut is to the bone will it leave a scar on the neck, perchance? *giggle* The Quickening is hidden under the Ligamentum Nuchae! (I just learned those words today)

Originally posted by Cyrus The Great View Post
          What happens if an immortal is lobotomized? Even if the destroyed neurons grow back, it seems probable that there would be permanent memory loss and changes in personality.
          Evidence suggests, from what we've seen, that the lobotomy will not change the Immortal's memories because all of that is in the Quickening. Not in the brain, and I think there we hit the tremendous fault in Big Finish's ideas for their stories. Particularly for their 4 Horsemen arc.

Comment

The memories will come back eventually. They did for Duncan in Deadly Medicine after he was hit by a car and declared brain dead.

Comment

Yeah, we know that memories are "backed up" in their Quickening energies. It's like walking around with a hard drive (your brain), but it's constantly backing itself up to the Cloud.
              Highlander: Dark Places

Comment

And we know that they don't "reset" to factory new. They reset to "last saved healthy condition". Otherwise they'd have to build up new muscle mass and callouses every time they died.

Comment

Totally different immortality than Captain Jack Harkness. They had him regenerate on Torchwood from an arm, a severed head and a few rib bones.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                    dubiousbystander commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BUT not into multiple Jack Harknesses. Imagine the fun he would have had!

• Colleengael
                    Colleengael commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for that image.

Originally posted by Coolwater View Post

Cyrus, (Hi Cyrus!) I don't see why. Whatever the immortal has before he is injured or killed, is what he has when he recovers, right?
                  Hi Coolwater! I suppose, "Its a kind of magic."

Comment

But the Doctor almost regenerated from a hand into a second Who, that is, Rose got her own Doctor to keep, but he was mortal.
                    Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
                    X