What are you doing right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for coffee time...
    Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

• I'm currently fighting a cold and hoping that it will be done away with before the next semester starts on Monday.

Comment

• Ah yes, school starts Monday. Doing Accounting online I can get into my classwork, but there's a funny business about the schedule as it goes down the side of the webpage, and there's a certain URL that I need to login at a certain place. But since it doesn't officially 'start' until Monday I'm not raising a fuss until then.

Amazon inflicted a 'free trial' of Prime on me when I ordered some stuff on Boxing Day. Now I'm finding myself muttering 'if shipping's free, why should I walk bulky things home from five blocks away if they're at a decent price?' Witch is exactly their Machiavellian plot, isn't it. They want to send me all my kitchen dry goods and every kind of paper. (Their cheese spread options suck, though.)

Comment

• First day back at school. I've got about two hours until my only Monday class, but since my brother drives me now that I can't drive myself, I've been here for about an hour and a half already (he's a professor here, so he has classes to teach). So yeah, I'm just sitting here by a window being bored.

Comment

• My brother is out of town for a math conference so I'm off for the next two days of school, making for a full week off since I only have classes Monday-Thursday and there's no school next Monday... I feel like I should be excited for the time off, but I'm actually not. I like going to class, gods help me, even my two and a half hour math class on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Comment

• LamBear*
              LamBear* commented
              Editing a comment
              It's because you're no longer a teenager. School takes on a different aspect when you're older. For most people. (TEST is a four letter word). Good luck with the new semester. How's your recovery going?

• Takk
              Takk commented
              Editing a comment
              Recovery is going well. Not as fast as I had been hoping, but well. I can stand up on my own without blocking and walk with just a walker to aid with balance, but not for too long of a distance. 53 feet is the farthest I've gone in one go, and that was just this past Monday. My left leg feels like it's almost at full strength most of the time, though while walking I can tell it's not. My right leg is still lagging far behind. I'm getting used to how it feels while walking, but the quad is still super weak and causes some balance issues, though the last two times its buckled I've been able to catch myself with my left leg, so that's good.

The surgeon says I'll continue to regain nerve strength for up to two years after the surgery, so I've got a lot of time before I get back to full strength, but it seems more and more like the right foot might have a bit of permanent paralysis, inasmuch that I've still yet to recover the ability to lift the right foot upwards at the ankle, which was one of the first things that came back on my left. I can hold it level so that it doesn't drag while walking, but that's it. No upward motion at all.

• I walked about 270 feet yesterday during PT, but it left me so achy this morning that I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed to go to school. So much blah.

Comment

• Originally posted by Takk View Post
              I walked about 270 feet yesterday during PT, but it left me so achy this morning that I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed to go to school. So much blah.
              I'm just so glad you're still with us. I hope for continuing improvement for you.

I'm awake because the Earthquake alarm on my phone went off around 2:06 am. It wasn't that big a quake, thankfully.

Comment

• Getting ready to go on a cruise. I'll let you know if the coronavirus follows me home.
                WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

• ~mj~
                  ~mj~ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh dear, stay safe Lambie!! ETA never mind, just saw the date. You are likely home by now...

• There's a place I order from occasionally in China. They have this at the top of their website right now:

Dear Customers,

We extend holidays in accordance with local policies. But don't worry, we will back to work soon.
                The packages will start to be shipped on February 9 when we return to work.
                Please also feel free to place order during the holiday,first in first out.
                However, our customer service department will telecommute from January 31, If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

'Extend holidays in accordance with local policies.' I see a euphemism for government mandated shutdown. (They're in Yiwu, Zhejiang. That's not all that close to the problem, is it?)

(What I'm doing? Putting off my accounting homework. Practice, practice practice on adjusting entries is bbt

Comment

• Takk
                  Takk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's probably just related to the Chinese New Year.

• My tax refund is going to be almost double what I thought it was going to be, so I filled some holes in my Musketeer collection, and now I'm trying to decide what to watch first.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	169.7 KB ID:	11332
                Attached Files

Comment

• I'm currently just sitting around, waiting for my laundry to be done. This four day weekend is finally coming to an end. I've got a paper to write for tomorrow, and PT at 4pm, but aside from that, it's all just blah.

Comment

• I am at a Starbucks, editing a friend's book, sometimes using their wifi to play Jurassic World Alive, Wizards Unite, and Pokemon Go.

Comment

• I'm failing to go to sleep, so I figure I'll give an update for those who care.

Ive been given the green light to do some walking at home with the walker, as my therapist feels I'm good enough to walk short distances without being watched (I can go about 200 feet in one go, supposing it's my first or second attempt). I've thus been using my Walker to go to and from the bathroom, but that's about it so far. I also stand to do many things you would typically do while standing up, like brushing my teeth, putting on pants, etc. So you could say things are going in a good direction.

My legs still feel weird, though. Stiff and numb, though there's more numbness in my right leg, which is still significantly weaker than my left. I actually have all muscle activations in the right leg now, though, save for one which still hasn't made any progress in moving. It's the outer muscle along the right calf that helps the inner muscle lift the foot upward at the ankle. It has no movement, even when activated. It seems that the worst case scenario I've mentioned before, may become a reality, as even electroshock therapy hasn't helped it wake up. It can still come back for up to two years after the surgery (as the surgeon claims), but it seems that that one muscle is going to be paralyzed. Thankfully the inner muscle isn't paralyzed,as well, so I can hold the foot up to prevent it from dragging while walking, so I won't need a brace or anything, but it's possible I'll still need a cane once all is said and done, just in case I stumble.

All that said, last Wednesday actually brought some seriously good news. We're now work onno getting me to a place where I can drive again. We practiced (and will continue to practice every session from here on out) getting in and out of the car with the walker, and traveling around to the trunk to retrieve and stow my wheelchair. We haven't tried actually putting it in or taking it out, yet, but that should come soon enough. My initial therapy allowance ends in a few weeks, but hopefully I won't need more than that. It's possible that my therapist will try to justify more to my insurance, but if he can't, then I'll just have more to do here at home.

At any rate, that's where I am right now. Never give up, never surrender!

Comment

• ~mj~
                        ~mj~ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am so glad you are doing well!! Don't get down, take things slowly. Thanks for the update, I am def one of the ones who care!! <3

• Filling out my paid vacation reimbursement form and looking at cabins in Tennessee for the honeymoon.
                      Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

• I'm currently sitting around waiting for my last class of the semester to start. That is to say that UVU has decided to shut down for the rest of the semester due to SARS-CoV-2 fears, and is thus converting all courses to online work. It's super frustrating because I hate online only courses, and specifically avoid them when I register for classes, but such as it is. Seriously wondering how my History teacher is going to handle this, as he's an old school professor who doesn't even allow assignments to be turned in online... yeah... maybe I'll luck out and he'll just give everyone a grade based on what we've already done, but who knows. I sure don't.

Comment

• Ah, the Covid-19! The slow sweep as it made news. Japanese moving from precautions over the cruise ship to the realization that it was no only there. And then came Abe's decision to suggest that schools close. That's reverberated, and well it should. I'm really low on work this month. Probably next month, too, if things go on this way. I hope that no one in my life dies, but of course people are already dying all over the place. The PWFC convention was afflicted by people anxious over this, and lost some attendees. A pity in so many ways. The hotel had loads of sanitizer all over the place.

We were able to have a great convention. Peter, Jim, David, were all wonderful.

Going back I was worried even more about being allowed to return to Japan, but it was fine.
                          Last edited by dubiousbystander; 03-12-2020, 09:24 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

• I swear to god, there is no toilet paper in San Angelo. We don't even have the virus here! Why are people hoarding TP??
                            Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

• Takk
                              Takk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I honestly don't know why people are hoarding toilet paper. The hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes I can understand, as annoying as it is, and the food storage, sure, but toilet paper? Mindless drones. Someone somewhere probably just bought a bunch of toilet paper for unrelated reasons, then someone else probably tweeted about it, and then everyone started doing the same. It's about the only thing I can figure.

• dubiousbystander
                              dubiousbystander commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes, perhaps! It's planet-wide.

• I just got a call from my physical therapist informing me that Intermountain Healthcare is shutting down outpatient therapy services, so that the resources and personnel can be available to aid with other issues within the hospitals related to the spread of SARS-CoV-2. As such, my sessions have been put on hold until May. He then went on to say that he hasn't seen anything like this happen in all the 25+ years of his career. This is truly unprecedented.

Comment

• COVID-19 has pretty much shut down the city here- gatherings over 50 people banned, city hall closed to the public, things being cancelled left, right & center. Not shocking, given that my city got our province's first confirmed cases.

My final exam that I was supposed to write April 16th has been cancelled, and all classes are being moved online. I was already doing that online, and that is still working for me, but I fear the school's server crashing brutally on Monday when everyone else goes on it.

When I got supplies yesterday the meat shop didn't have chicken legs or bone-in pork chops, and the grocery store was out of all the fresh meat in the flyer (Except whole chicken. Since it was cheaper per pound than legs I grabbed one.) The depth on the shelves is thin, but not alot of stuff truly out.

The notorious Toilet Paper shortage was there, but I have 2/3rds of a bulk pack, so should be good for a month or so.

The nuisance I'm facing right now is my deliberately small limit online credit card- I didn't realize that they apply a payment slower if I pay at my bank's website than directly on their site (It's different clickies on the same page!) So it's clogged up until Monday, even though I paid what would have been due next month early.

I'm reminding myself that my day-to-day really hasn't changed much, given that my classwork is still working. When I pickup my prescriptions next week I might be shocked to see how many stores are shuttered.

Comment

• Trying to figure out who I have to behead to get some meat in the stores. I love my mac and cheese but need meat, especially with working from home during Corona-time. I'm also worried I'll have to postpone my wedding to Dreigha which is scheduled for June. The honeymoon cabin has already been paid for so we're still doing that even if the wedding has to be delayed. A cabin is a good place for social distancing anyway
                                Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

• Takk
                                  Takk commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I would imagine beheading just about anyone would make the need to get meat from a store rather redundant. ^_^

• Dollar days on at Sobeys right now- $3 lean hamburger, $10 for a box of stuffed burgers, lots of nice prices. But the big question that inspires Machiavellian calculation- when exactly will they be best stocked?

And school? My teacher said he would get information Friday. It's Saturday. Still nothing. (But now it's illegal to not self-isolate if you've travelled, and the crowd restriction is now 25. One of the people responsible on the health front bureaucratically has been exposed, and he says really, I'd recommend only 5. )

Comment

• I keep telling people I'll send them toilet paper. Though of course being in Japan, I can't send much or the cost'll get me. Day by day I get mails from family stateside. And then there's a Tokyo FB group I'm in where the er... discussions range from "OMG don't go out there" to "See, lots of people are out there! It's not so bad!" Now this message came from a family member lives in eastern Washington:

I slept in this morning and didn't go out until 6:45 am. I needed to decide where to get my coffee and breakfast sandwich. I stopped at a nearby gas station convenience store. ( the Starbucks are locked down drive up only)
                                  I had to get the cup from the attendant. I had to order a sausage egg and cheese sandwich from another attendant and he made it but he couldn't hand it to me. He had to put it in the shelf section and I picked it and went to check out counter where the attendant poured the sugar in my cup and asked me to say stop when I had enough!
                                  Both attendants were wearing Latex gloves. These orders for retail behavior come down from the governors office of each state and can be different from state to state and can be enforced by the national guard and local police.

I had a memory of WWII as a 9 to 12year old but people were more cheerful then. This enemy is unseen!

Comment

• A frequent line I post in this thread when answering literally: Bread maker is running.

Indeed I am using it right now. I hear the motor whirring as I type. Having that thing and my grandmother's recipes and her baking tins is such a blessing right now. The flour is getting down, lower than half a 10lb bin, but enough to do me a couple months at least.

Comment

• Decided to try walking into the kitchen to prepare some food to bake, and did so successfully. Felt nice to be in the kitchen doing stuff while standing like a normal person again. Once the food was in the oven, I walked back to my room to get back in the wheelchair before going back out to retrieve the food once it was finished cooking, mainly because I can't carry anything too far while using my walker. All in all, it was a nice little moment in contrast to most of what's been going on this past week, so I figured I'd share.

Comment

• By golly, does it take a "shelter in place" order to bring me here?? How are you my sisiers and brothers?
                                      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                                      Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
                                      X