What are you doing right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Coolwater View Post
    Oh, Lam! How interesting! May we know what the document is about? I know what you mean about the old scripts. It's a pity people aren't always learning to read it anymore.
    It was a partitioning of some land on an oil and gas property our company has an interest in. Pretty boring. I remember I used to get C's in "handwriting" in elementary school, but I can't count the times people have complimented my handwriting and signature on checks I write at the grocery store or wherever. (Take that, you silly 3rd grade teacher!) People aren't used to seeing cursive anymore, I guess.

I've spent the past several days in constant communication with relatives in Houston and surrounding areas. My sister got rescued by her son today--she finally got tired of sitting in a house surrounded by water and no electricity for 5 days. Water hasn't gotten into her house, but this storm has really gotten old.
    WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

• mathpiglet
      mathpiglet commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad your sister is safe. I hope the rest of your relatives stay safe too.

• LamBear*
      LamBear* commented
      Editing a comment
      So far, so good. Thanks.

• Coolwater
      Coolwater commented
      Editing a comment
      Me, too. We're hoping to hear from Houstonite cousins. They were fine a few days ago, but pretty quiet since then. Earl Ross has a barn with a big apartment in the upper story where he keeps his Ham radio set up. makes me think I should get a Ham license! I fear that this sort of thing is going to happen more and more often and we need to be ready.

• Planning my daughter's 19th birthday party on Labor Day since everyone is off work.
    Gonna change my evil ways...one of these days

Comment

• Trying to get my calendar in order with a bunch of folks who don't want to nail down dates. Grrr...
      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
      Billy Sunday

Comment

• ...watching baseball after a busy day of laundry, baking, grocery shopping, cleaning...

Comment

• Originally posted by LamBear* View Post

It's a new day. Are you still uncanned, unsliced and unfrozen? I understand procrastination.
          Hah - that post was dated August 13th and I just got done canning and freezing veggies TODAY. I had to throw out a crisper full of cucumbers that had gone moldy, but I did pickle some cucumbers weeks ago - 11 pints. Today I did 13 half-pints of homemade spaghetti sauce, and froze 5 bags of sweetcorn.

Comment

• I am not in the habit of eating spicy food. I vaguely remembered that there was a reason, but when I got a spice rub in a Tasting Box it slipped my mind. Ingredients: sea salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper. Three hot things in there.

Violent, liquid-- it felt like I was pissing from my ass. Whoops, right. That's why I don't eat spicy food.

& now it's 10% Tuesday at Sobeys. (If you spend over $50, they discount 10%.) Just how badly do I want it? I could pop some Immodium, but my body is trying to get rid of a severe irritant...

Comment

• Perfect Warrior
              Perfect Warrior commented
              Editing a comment
              Mother-dear is coming this afternoon. I'm palming the spice rub off on her (with a blunt warning of what it did to me- but her boyfriend likes spicy food.)
              & mom is gifting me some apples and selling me some local honey. Should I plot melomel? It's too hot this weekend to start it.

• Coolwater
              Coolwater commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, honey keeps and apples can be replaced: why don't you wait until it cools off a little?

• Perfect Warrior
              Editing a comment
              Yup, next weekend I figure. The lovely aromatic apples are in the fridge.
              Mom told the farmer two liters (I wanted two pounds) and he sold her Three KILOGRAMS! A pail! (A little pail, but still a pail.) *Sigh* I only have two one-gallon glass jugs to put brewing mead in. Some of that honey is sitting unused for awhile, I think.
              In the end we're bartering- I know a website that sells her favorite shampoo, that she can no longer get locally. (The site flags it as discontinued.)

• Sounds like life is settling down a little, Trees. <<<hugs>>>
            Billy Sunday

Comment

• At work trying to stay awake. Had to go to physical therapy at 8AM today. The hardest part of that is I don't get off work until midnight every day so normally don't go to bed until around 4. Oh well..I'll sleep tomorrow on my day off

Comment

MP, sounds like you are going to be stretched prettttyyy thin and truly challenged. That's a LOT of plates spinning. Good luck.

Cool, are the new countertops in?

Kat, are you finished reading to catch up with the board yet?
                It has improved. I have two periods but only two different classes in each. And the second one has only one student in one of the classes and he's a very independent sort. Definitely doable.

Phew...

Comment

• Busy busy week. The craziest part was subbing for some serious paddlers who were taking 150-170 middle schoolers out rafting on the Wabash. The serious paddlers ended up leaving town to help with the hurricanes, so a bunch of us sat in for them. I was on a raft with 8 kids and an another adult for a whole day - and it was crazy but fun! Except at the end when our dock assistant told me I could pop off the back of our raft (I'd been steering), and he was wrong about the depth. At least I think it was an accident; he was laughing pretty hard.

It got a tad crazier. When I got home, I hung my wet clothes on the patio to dry. The next morning I saw a tiny red squirrel stuffing my undies in her mouth to steal them! I can't decide if she thought they'd make good lining for her winter nest or if she was just a pervy squirrel.
                  Billy Sunday

Comment

• Mother-dear has invited herself over for supper. I made the mistake of grumbling to her in an e-mail (which also mentioned that her shampoo was here.) about how many of my household chores the past half week have been in the kitchen. Banana loaf yesterday, mead the day before, cabbage rolls today. Silly me.

Comment

• Coolwater
                      Coolwater commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Change the locks?

• About to go to work....sigh.

Comment

• Coolwater
                      Coolwater commented
                      Editing a comment
                      *sympathy*

• Thanks, Cool

I'm now doing work, at home.....at least there's a beer at my side.

Comment

• Transcribing the Highlander Rewatched Podcasts for the Highlander: American Dream comic mini-series. Whee!

Comment

• Do you get paid for that?
                        Billy Sunday

Comment

Do you get paid for that?
                          Nope. Were I paid, I'd transcribe a lot more of them, hahah. And now I'm watching Finalé Part II. Duncan and Kalas are fighting atop the Eiffel Tower. This brings to mind Ken Gord's cheerful tale about getting permits to film and dance up there!

Comment

• This has been the electronic week from hell. USAA screwed up my credit card accounts while trying to fix ta problem caused by their computer; my computer crashed (now fixed by a good local Linux guy) ); the latest Apple download screwed up my phone (now fixed by a funny Apple Support guy - at least it was an entertaining struggle); our new Samsung DVD player won't talk to the wifi - not fixed in spite of worthless input from Samsung, sensible input from Metronet (who actually came out to the house for free!) and Netgear, which was not only worthless, but which said in very small type, "Oh, by the way, some security guy in Singapore spotted a giant gaping hole in our (your) router's security and here is a patch." No notifications, you had to go to the website and happen to notice the asterisk. Sheesh!

I've probably spent 20+ hours on tech this week. The worst was that the lady from USAA, normally awesome, chowed up by pushing the wrong icon, so that I paid one card twice and the other not at all - just as my daughter was going to take the now maxed card on a trip as an emergency card. "We're really sorry, but we can't fix this until Monday." I finally said, "We need the card today. There's a low limit on this card. Can we raise the limit, even though it's Saturday?" "Yeah!" OMG. And it could have been much worse: I just happened to have enough in my account to cover paying the expensive card twice. Had it been last month, I'd be bouncing checks all over the place.
                            Billy Sunday

Comment

• Feeling bad for the people at the Jason Aldean concert and am mad that someone called him a coward for running off the stage. What could he accomplish by standing there?

Comment

• Sounds like good sense to me.
                                Billy Sunday

Comment

This has been the electronic week from hell. USAA screwed up my credit card accounts while trying to fix ta problem caused by their computer; my computer crashed (now fixed by a good local Linux guy) ); the latest Apple download screwed up my phone (now fixed by a funny Apple Support guy - at least it was an entertaining struggle); our new Samsung DVD player won't talk to the wifi - not fixed in spite of worthless input from Samsung, sensible input from Metronet (who actually came out to the house for free!) and Netgear, which was not only worthless, but which said in very small type, "Oh, by the way, some security guy in Singapore spotted a giant gaping hole in our (your) router's security and here is a patch." No notifications, you had to go to the website and happen to notice the asterisk. Sheesh!

I've probably spent 20+ hours on tech this week. The worst was that the lady from USAA, normally awesome, chowed up by pushing the wrong icon, so that I paid one card twice and the other not at all - just as my daughter was going to take the now maxed card on a trip as an emergency card. "We're really sorry, but we can't fix this until Monday." I finally said, "We need the card today. There's a low limit on this card. Can we raise the limit, even though it's Saturday?" "Yeah!" OMG. And it could have been much worse: I just happened to have enough in my account to cover paying the expensive card twice. Had it been last month, I'd be bouncing checks all over the place.
                                  I hope you're not contagious now that I've clicked on here. I don't have the time or energy to spend 20+ hours with mostly non-English speaking tech people. Hope all is cleared up for you.

Originally posted by Haplo View Post
                                  Feeling bad for the people at the Jason Aldean concert and am mad that someone called him a coward for running off the stage. What could he accomplish by standing there?
                                  No kidding. Then there's the CBS moronic attorney who got fired for posting on some kind of social media (I'm not the social media sort) that she had no sympathy for those people who were shot since they're all probably Republicans just because they were at a country western concert. Mind boggling.

Comment

• Originally posted by dubiousbystander View Post
                                    Transcribing the Highlander Rewatched Podcasts for the Highlander: American Dream comic mini-series. Whee!
                                    Wish you could remember your previous user name. I'm curious.

Comment

• dubiousbystander
                                      dubiousbystander commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I thought the one I'm using now WAS my previous username, but have been assured no one recognizes it, or that they remember someone who was a guy. Though I think his was not "dubious"bystander.

• Originally posted by Perfect Warrior View Post
                                    Mother-dear has invited herself over for supper. I made the mistake of grumbling to her in an e-mail (which also mentioned that her shampoo was here.) about how many of my household chores the past half week have been in the kitchen. Banana loaf yesterday, mead the day before, cabbage rolls today. Silly me.
                                    With those things on the menu, I'd be tempted to invite myself over, too!

Comment

• Perfect Warrior
                                      Editing a comment
                                      At least she'll be out of town when I bust up a turkey! & the ham I roasted and diced into casserole-worths yesterday violates her high blood pressure diet. Lovely tasty tender ham. Getting the turkey today to get it into the refrigerator to thaw.

She actually has in the past been in the habit of coming by when she knows I have a turkey in the oven, but I thought the cabbage rolls were safe- she's allergic to tomato. (She talked me into putting a yogurt sauce on three of them.)

Should I explain the whole snarl? It started when she was a fresh widow (not my father who died on her.) recently moved back to my city. Now she has a long-term boyfriend who quite keeps her busy, but there's this expectation of a trickle of presents. (& when I was being treated for Lymphoma in 2014 she quite dictated some gifts. & now those symptoms are creeping back...)

No kidding. Then there's the CBS moronic attorney who got fired for posting on some kind of social media (I'm not the social media sort) that she had no sympathy for those people who were shot since they're all probably Republicans just because they were at a country western concert. Mind boggling.
                                    There were many on the right who had no sympathies for the shootings in Miami because it was at a gay nightclub and it's assumed that all gays are liberals. The country has gone crazy when people don't care that innocent people were killed if they're of a differing political party

Comment

• Good point, Hap.

Comment

That's horrifying. I hope that it is Russian disinformation and that no one really said it!

Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
                                        X