cutting the (cable) cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting the (cable) cord

I was wondering what the rest of you are using as far as watching tv goes. Are you still using standard cable, satellite, internet streaming service, etc?

I've been on DirecTV for almost 3 years now. Sadly the price shot up from $74 to $110. I have been looking into the DirecTV NOW stuff and it looks like a much better deal for practically the same channels but for just $35 a month instead of paying over $100. Not sure what the actual quality and experience are like though.

Lately, I been hooked on the Amazon FireStick. Mighty nice for all it can provide you with a little tinkering, without having to pay constant subscription after subscription. I watch mostly old movies/shows as the new stuff has not been satisfying. That is mainly why I don't like Netflix and the like. I want to watch movies and tv from actors I wanna see and those services never seem to have much of anything.

I found that US citizens are legally given access to stream local channels for free through USTV NOW. I never knew that was a thing. For a more standard channel package, it only costs $20 a month. That's pretty good compared to the other offerings.

YouTubeTV peaked my interest at first but it is not available in my area
    Not to mention there's no firestick compatibility, you gotta have the latest version of iOS, have to use the Chromecast to watch on the tv.
    I tried a two-day Sling trial but that was so awful with constant buffering and stuttering.

Just looking for some insight on what others are doing.

Power to the Donut!

I used to work sales chat for AT&T and had access to all the DTV information, and from what I've seen DTV Now is hands down the best option for traditional TV in my opinion, as it's only $35-$60 a month and can even get you a free AppleTV if you pay for three months in advance. That being said, traditional TV is sort of pointless these days, in my opinion, so I find little purpose in paying for any service that specifically plays live TV.

Personally, I swear by Hulu, HBO Now, and the free CW app. Hulu, in particular, has loads of old shows in addition to much of the newer network and basic cable stuff, as well as the Criterion Collection of films, so it may be something you'd be interested in. I also have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime, but aside from a a handful of shows (like House of Cards) I really don't use them much.

Comment

I basically only use Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now and the free apps for random stations where I may want to catch up on an episode of something or another.

Comment

We are on Charter Spectrum for TV and Internet (only local cable service where I live). Other than that I use Amazon Fire Stick, Hulu, Netflix & CBS All Access.

Comment

I was all scheduled to change cable providers last Christmas, then Shaw phoned me and asked why I was switching to SaskTel. When I told them, they gave me this great deal for a year. We'll see what I do when that expires.

Cable with a PVR attached works well for how I like to watch- some series that I actually *watch*, other stuff (mostly foodchannel) that's great background noise for knitting. Local news watched live, Daily Mass time shifted an hour or two, everything else watched off the PVR mostly. I could cable-cut with those habits, couldn't I? The TV is in the living room, and this desktop setup is in the study. It would need new equipment, and Canadian regulations are debating the subject furiously (well, furious for committees) so I have some concerns about buying equipment that would end up declared illegal.

Comment

I never watch TV...solves the problem of choices. I watch series on DVD or movies...mostly I stitch and stare at my computer screen.
            Ye know why they`re on the internet don`t ye? `Cause ye wouldnae speak to them in the fecking pub! ~ Billy Connolley

Comment

We are in the middle of nowhere, so cable isn't an option--satellite only. My husband is a financial news and sports junkie, and we're pretty much old school anyway, so all these streaming alternatives or whatever they are, are beyond us. Plus, besides the news and sports, we dvr everything so we don't have to watch commercials. But you're right, Donut, it ain't cheap.
              WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

THE CHICKEN CROSSING THE ROAD WAS POULTRY IN MOTION

Comment

I have SlingTV, which I watch on my TV via a Roku Box. I've got the middle-priced package, which comes to less than $35 a month with taxes, and I chose that one for the sports channels it offers. I also have Amazon Prime, but I didn't get that for the Amazon Prime Video service... I got it for the free shipping.

Comment

I got rid of DirecTV at least a year ago. My dad lives with me and he watches MeTV all day long which is a free channel. My brother installed an antenna for me and we get something like 80 free channels which is more than enough for Dad. FOo myself I subscribed to Netflix streaming service and watch it on my laptop.
                  The only thing I miss are sports channels.

Comment

I use Roku.

We have Netflix. Hulu, CrunchyRoll, Funimation and Anime Network.
                    Vudu and Google and Fandango for rentals.

If there's a program I want to watch on HBO, Showtime, Starz or CBS, they all have a la carte services now so I subscribe and watch and unsubscribe when we're not actively watching a program. We've had Sling TV via Roku for a while but are thinking of getting rid of it soon. Most of the other channels are free for news etc. We can stream music using Spotify and Pandora on the Roku too. I was not a YouTube watcher until we got the Roku which made it easy to watch on a television vs sitting at a computer.

Comment

Plain old cable here. What I really don't want is anything that sucks personal info out of my home.
                      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                      Billy Sunday

Comment

• Perfect Warrior
                        Perfect Warrior commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ah yes, there's that. I remember when my PVR spun up to defrag when it was off & I'd be a bit paranoid about what was going on. (I was sitting there knitting on something complicated, so I didn't want something on for background noise.)

Exactly. No one should be running my computer but me.
                      “A sinner can always repent, but stupid is forever.”
                      Billy Sunday

Comment

Working...
                      X